• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

better-call-saul_146665-fli_1382009624.jpg
Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 9.00.26 AM.png
bullshit.png
There are 210 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 9 years ago

So, there was recently a Sega TWISTER Pinball machine on ebay. I won the auction for $2,026.

I asked for location and I let Tony Pinto from Classiccoin-Op know that I'll bring a tech and go through the machine to be sure that everything works. Tony informed me that he had to move the machine to cold storage and that there isn't any power to test the machine. He guaranteed me that the game works 100%. I told him I would bring a heated box truck, let the machine sit for an hour inside the heated box truck, go have breakfast, and come back to test the game after the game adequately heated up. Tony insisted that he wouldn't allow the game to be tested at all and claimed that the machine should have been tested prior to bidding.

I see both sides here. I've sold Pin's on ebay. But telling someone that a machine works 100% and then telling them that they are not allowed to plug it in or test it, just doesn't make sense. He told me that if I sent payment through PayPal that he would immediately return the payment because he wouldn't guarantee the game. He also informed me that he had no where else to take the machine where it would be heated so the machine could be tested. I told him that I could wait a week or two and pick up the machine when it would be warmer. I even offered to pay for the machine and to wait until it was warmer to test. He openly refused any and all and told me that he would just cancel the auction and relist it.

Tony said the best I could do would be to visually inspect the game. Tony claims that my intent to test the game should have been done prior to bidding and that he has never had this ever come up before and that I am being unreasonable. He then cancelled the ebay auction.

My reason for posting this is so that no one else runs into the same situation. I can only assume that Tony Pinto from Classiccoin-op was hoping someone would purchase the machine and have it shipped. And when it arrived not working, Tony could state that the machine worked prior to being shipped.

Tony Pinto is also known as Droopydogy.

#2 9 years ago

He hasn't ripped you off.

Quoted from mikelaka:

Tony claims that my intent to test the game should have been done prior to bidding

I agree, if it was that important to you, you should have made that clear prior to bidding.

Honestly I would have probably canceled the auction on you too. As LTG says, "No deal is better than a bad deal"

#3 9 years ago

Hmm, I almost bid on that machine because it was in my neck of the woods. Thanks for the heads up.

#4 9 years ago

If the game can't be tested prior, sounds kind of fishy to me.

#5 9 years ago

Anyone who does not allow for testing a game that you are paying thousands of dollars for is hiding something. It sounds like you were being very reasonable. Why would anyone cancel a sale just because you want to plug the machine in? Thanks for the heads up as well.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

I agree, if it was that important to you, you should have made that clear prior to bidding.
Honestly I would have probably canceled the auction on you too.

Really??? If you where picking it up and not plugging it in to test it than your a fool.

#7 9 years ago

Sorry, but IMHO, I think that's total and complete BULL.

1 - You list a game in perfect working order on Ebay.
2 - You know most people won't come out to see it till after the sale.
3 - On top of that, if it's working, what are you worried about?
4 - Not to mention the fact that under the new policy rules, if you sell the game and a person takes it home and it's messed up, you can return it and get your money back up to 6 months afterward.

So the seller should've had no problem with letting anyone try the machine before, during or after the purchase. Stand by what you sell or don't sell it at all. Or at worst, be honest and give a description that it has issues so you know what to expect going in.

All said and done, I agree with Herb in the sense that sometimes the best deals are the one's you DON'T make. Stay away from that seller.

#9 9 years ago

Honestly I would have probably canceled the auction on you too. As LTG says, "No deal is better than a bad deal"

I cant believe someone actually agrees with this. Im a retailer, I sell games daily. And it doesnt matter if its a 200.00 video game, or a 10,000.00 pin, if it is being picked up, the buyer will be testing it to make sure that it was as i said it was. I insist on it being tested. Myself, I dont always test games that i pick up, but that is a different story. If im buying from someone I know, then i expect them to be honest with me.

#10 9 years ago

Well, I see both sides here as well - and you seem to be a bit aggressive about this whole testing business...so I'd tell you to take a hike myself. You not only have opportunities to test things prior to bidding, but you also have guarantees to your advantage as an Ebay buyer. If you are going to be a hassle to deal with, I'd move on to the next bidder just like he did. Yes, you are paranoid, and yes, you are unreasonable. You don't have to treat everyone like they are crooks.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

If the game can't be tested prior, sounds kind of fishy to me.

It wasn't prior, he already bought it.

#12 9 years ago

Funny too, the people who buy games NIB don't rip the box open to check inside the box to see if there is a pile of rocks in there.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Well, I see both sides here as well - and you seem to be a bit aggressive about this whole testing business...so I'd tell you to take a hike myself. You not only have opportunities to test things prior to bidding, but you also have guarantees to your advantage as an Ebay buyer. If you are going to be a hassle to deal with, I'd move on to the next bidder just like he did. Yes, you are paranoid, and yes, you are unreasonable. You don't have to treat everyone like they are crooks.

Would you really buy a game from someone that wouldn't allow you to test it beforehand? Seems pretty odd to me.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Funny too, the people who buy games NIB don't rip the box open to check inside the box to see if there is a pile of rocks in there.

Ha...true that. I ripped mine apart and threw it in the trash before loading the game up.

#15 9 years ago

2k for a twister is nuts anyway. Everybody underground now!

#16 9 years ago

What is this I don't even... If the pin is advertised as working, prove it.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Would you really buy a game from someone that wouldn't allow you to test it beforehand? Seems pretty odd to me.

I've bought CRAPLOADS of items on Ebay that I have not tested before hand. If someone is being nitpicky like that, they already bought it - it wasn't a pre-bid request to test - then yes - go fly a kite, I'll deal with the next honest soul who isn't out there to find some tiny problem and pin me to the wall. BYE

#18 9 years ago

Glad you are off the hook for the game.

You know it was not working 100% now.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You know it was not working 100% now.

So every time - every single time - you move a game it always works 100% after the move?

#20 9 years ago

Shady Sadie indeed

#21 9 years ago

If you state 100% working you should be willing to prove it before pickup.I always am.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

I've bought CRAPLOADS of items on Ebay that I have not tested before hand. If someone is being nitpicky like that, they already bought it - it wasn't a pre-bid request to test - then yes - go fly a kite, I'll deal with the next honest soul who isn't out there to find some tiny problem and pin me to the wall. BYE

If your selling something as 100% working, you shouldnt have anything to worry about

Quoted from wayout440:

Serious, really, let me know your ebay ID so i can make sure to not ever bid on one of your items if this is how you do business.

I bid on games all the time, and have bought more than most. And it all can be very simple. I know for a fact that I have bid on games that were not within a reasonable distance to test. I bid on the item, and when i go to pick it up, then i do a quick test to see that it is as advertized and i move on. Now if the guy showed up and tested the game, it was as advertized, and then tried to renegotiate, then sure, tell them to take a hike. But if you are not willing to prove that the game works as you stated in an auction, there is only one conclusion, and that is that the game is not as advertized

#23 9 years ago

The OP was just trying to save himself and the seller from a future headache, I don't see why the seller should have had an issue.

If he advertised the game as 100% working, he should have no problem with letting the winning bidder test the game.

Had the OP received the merchandise and it wasn't working, the seller would be on the hook for a refund anyway, and would have to deal with the hassle of getting the game back and refunding the money.

Some more nefarious sellers will pull these kind of stunts because they know that buyers won't want to go through the hassle/expense of returning the game later.

I'm not saying that this particular seller was doing that, but when you are going to drop $2k, it's better to play it safe than sorry.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from UFO:

2k for a Twister is nuts anyway

Totally agree with this. I'd say you dodged a bullet.

#25 9 years ago

I would never refuse to let someone test a machine but this OPs post throws a lot of flags to me. It just seems like it would go wrong no matter what. Would I have bought the machine the seller had listed? Not at the winning price. The guy also wouldn't take your money though. The OP seems to be going to extremes to have the ability to test it, which would make me think they have unreasonable expectations. It just sounds like a huge pain in the ass from a sellers perspective.

#26 9 years ago

wayout440....Your name fits you perfectly. You are indeed way way way out there! Wouldn't buy anything I couldn't test for that kind of money. Ebay or not. Picky is getting on his case for ball trails or a burned out bulb. Plugging it in and making sure it turns on is as advertised is normal for most of us...other then you I guess.

Remind me to ignore anything you sell for fear I might upset you by asking for some pictures. LOL

#27 9 years ago

Anybody have a link to the auction? I'm curious

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

So every time - every single time - you move a game it always works 100% after the move?

I'm not sure what that question means.

Basically, if I claim that something works 100%, then I want to demonstrate that it does indeed work 100%.

You would not buy a $50 lawnmower without gassing it up and starting it - so you CERTAINLY would not pay $2000 for something as complicated as a pinball machine without coining it up.

$2000 is top dollar for a Twister, so you sure don't want to put a bunch of money and time into that title.

#29 9 years ago

ebay.com link: 1996 SEGA TWISTER PINBALL MACHINE

OK, at this point I would tip in favor to the OP as the last line in the guy's description says:

"You are welcome to come see and play before bidding."

If you can do it before you can do it after.

#30 9 years ago

ebay.com link » 1996 Sega Twister Pinball Machine
OK, at this point I would tip in favor to the OP as the last line in the guy's description says:
"You are welcome to come see and play before bidding."
If you can do it before you can do it after.

You can play, you just can't plug it in. Seems fair enough!

#32 9 years ago

Wow, startled at the prickishness of some of you guys. Even if the game is perfect, it sounds like the seller is unreasonable and I would have refused to complete the sale too.

#33 9 years ago

Yeah glad I know who NOT to purchase games from. this thread has pointed out a few.

#34 9 years ago

If the seller were not 1.5 hours away, I would have tested it prior to buying it. I've bought dozens of pins/video games off of ebay and never had any issues. But this seller was determined to inform me that the game would not be allowed to be tested at all. All I wanted to do was plug it in, make sure that the game actually worked 100% as described. I don't think it's unreasonable.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from mikelaka:

If the seller were not 1.5 hours away, I would have tested it prior to buying it. I've bought dozens of pins/video games off of ebay and never had any issues. But this seller was determined to inform me that the game would not be allowed to be tested at all. All I wanted to do was plug it in, make sure that the game actually worked 100% as described. I don't think it's unreasonable.

Its not. Like people have said dude had something to hide. No if's and's or but's about it. Even the shadiest of operators would let you plug it in.

#36 9 years ago

Looks like negative feedback on the transaction has been left.

#37 9 years ago

Tony sounds like a douche who is selling pins that don't work.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from UFO:

2k for a Twister is nuts anyway. Everybody underground now!

No joke. He did you a favor. There are countless better games than Twister for over $2,000, especially when this one was guaranteed to have issues if he wouldn't let you play it first.

#40 9 years ago

There are 2 sides to every story; I'm not sure we even have the full story from one side documented here.

The buyer seems to be a little high maintenance to me, personally, after doing this for more than 10 years. In all fairness to him, though, I've not spoken to him in person or done business with him on a game - at least, I don't think I have.

I've found high maintenance buyers in the past to be the type who show up, and tell you a lamp is out, a switch doesnt register, something simple and then demand a massive discount. I've known people to bid whatever it takes, then show up and try to negotiate the price down to what they really wanted to pay, using a small scratch or something very simple to fix that I could fix in 30 seconds. I have turned away buyers in the past, by telling them simply that I don't believe we should do business, as I don't think I could satisfy them, based on conversations with them. Would I like their money? Yes. Am I willing to take the headaches? No!

I think a simple solution here would have been to inform the seller you don't pay until you test the game and are happy with it. I wouldn't let someone I don't know load a game in their box truck while we go have breakfast, I've got no guarantee that it'll be there when we return. Depending on how the buyer made his demands, I might have gotten a little defensive, too.

The whole storage thing amazes me. I don't take people to any of my storage units. I don't want to get cased to be ripped off later. If I sell a game, it gets picked up somewhere else.

#41 9 years ago

He had no business saying with certainty the game was working. Even if it was working before he moved it to storage, anything could have gone wrong during the move from his shop to the storage.

You should not have to be responsible for potential issues related to him moving the game and it should have been tested by the buyer.

#42 9 years ago

Maybe I am not expressing myself well in the text. I do agree with John. Sometimes these high maintenance buyers turn out to be huge headaches. I have handheld a few and even set up games for them on location...something I would actually rather not do. Too many things can go south during transport. Most do not even try to negotiate the price, so yeah if you are high maintenance its no worry for me. I'll just wait for a buyer I am comfortable with.
It just sounds like everyone here is burning this guy at the at the stake and he hasn't even done anything wrong. Its all a bunch of assumptions.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

I've found high maintenance buyers in the past to be the type who show up, and tell you a lamp is out, a switch doesnt register, something simple and then demand a massive discount. I've known people to bid whatever it takes, then show up and try to negotiate the price down to what they really wanted to pay, using a small scratch or something very simple to fix that I could fix in 30 seconds. I have turned away buyers in the past, by telling them simply that I don't believe we should do business, as I don't think I could satisfy them, based on conversations with them. Would I like their money? Yes. Am I willing to take the headaches? No!

I think a simple solution here would have been to inform the seller you don't pay until you test the game and are happy with it. I wouldn't let someone I don't know load a game in their box truck while we go have breakfast, I've got no guarantee that it'll be there when we return. Depending on how the buyer made his demands, I might have gotten a little defensive, too.

That was kind of my point, you articulated it much better than I

#44 9 years ago

Okay then.......note to self; don't buy from Tony Pinto from Classiccoin-Op and don't but from wayout440.......done.

#45 9 years ago

OP, you probably dodged a bullet.

There was no reason the seller shouldn't have let you test the game.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

It wasn't prior, he already bought it.

I have bought games on eBay and picked up in person and not once has a seller at least let me try the game to confirm it was in working condition. He won the auction. If the seller isn't hiding anything and commented it was 100% working I'd certainly at least like to make sure by playing a 2-5 minute game. I certainly don't think that is asking a lot of the seller.

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Okay then.......note to self; don't buy from Tony Pinto from Classiccoin-Op and don't but from wayout440.......done.

That's fine...but get it correct...my eBay ID is wayout1221.
If you are that paranoid that this Pinside thread causes you to not buy from me so be it.

#48 9 years ago

Others have said the same thing, but you are better off that the deal fell through.

I bought my first game on eBay. I drove from Chicago to Louisville to pick it up, and the guy had the game set up and let me try it out to my satisfaction before loading it up. I overpaid and was later kind of bitter about it, but it was my fault because I was excited about buying my first game. I couldn't blame the seller at all, as he let me inspect the game, play it, etc. before taking it home.

I have sold only one machine on eBay. The guy came down from Madison, so obviously it would've been impractical to test the game before bidding. He won the auction, but I insisted that he check out the game and play it as much as he wanted before taking it. I even told him he was not obligated to buy the game if he thought I had misrepresented it in my ad. I'd rather not sell a game to someone than have that person feel that I ripped them off.

If someone gives you a hard time about wanting to test a game before buying it, you are better off not doing business with him, in my opinion.

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

That's fine...but get it correct...my eBay ID is wayout1221.
If you are that paranoid that this Pinside thread causes you to not buy from me so be it.

All the OP wanted to do was test the pin before laying down the cash. Anyone who disagrees with that I'd have an issue with.

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Wow bro...seriously? You ever buy a car? You telling me you never took it out for a test drive EVEN IF it was BRAND NEW?

Come on! We've all bought tons of stuff untested off Ebay. I bought my wife a $20K grand piano in FLA. I didn't fly down to test it, but I hired a piano tuner from down there to go and check it out for me to make sure it was in as described (perfect) condition. And you can believe that that was after I was the winning bidder and the seller was fine with it.

Point is, when you're buying a big ticket item you want to test it out. If you're really selling a perfectly working item, you wouldn't have any worries about the winning bidder wanting to come over and test it out to make sure it's as described. In fact, that's EXACTLY what a good/honest seller should want. End of story.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 23.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 210 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/beware-of-seller-indiana-sega-twister-pinball-machine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.