(Topic ID: 208065)

Beware of scammer "linkpete" on eBay

By jzdziarski

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Spent almost $600 on two new WPC89 MPU boards from linkpete. Arrived today. First one DOA. Transplanted the ROM to the second one, second one works. Guarantees his boards are tested and 100% working, but is now refusing to give any refunds. Trying to blame it on the buyers, "since he tested it". He also photoshopped the photos he took and is using an electronics kit from TwoBits. The +5 V LED doesn't even light, this is really poorly done.

Going to open a dispute with eBay/PayPal... in the meantime, I've tested C31 and its reporting 0 ohms on the multimeter, doesn't this suggest the capacitor is failing? It looks like a pretty shoddy solder job. Any other ideas on what circuits would be good to test in case I'm stuck with this pile of crap?

#2 6 years ago

No your not. File a claim with ebay you will get your money back

#3 6 years ago

Maybe, have to wait 3 days to escalate. This guy is being a real jackass about it. You send someone something defective, you give them a refund and let them return it. WTF is wrong with people.

#4 6 years ago

Ignore him and wait to escalate it.

#6 6 years ago

Fine print lol

"Item is sold as is, as we have no control over improper handling and installation"

#7 6 years ago

"This CPU has been fully burn in tested on a test bed and works 100%" I call BS.

#8 6 years ago

Lets see the real pics of this thing

#9 6 years ago

Condition:
    New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item (including handmade items). See the seller's listing for full details.

yeah sure it is when he states in the description it isn't Brand new.

#10 6 years ago

Selling as-is doesn't work on eBay. Buyer files a dispute "not as described" and wins 100% of the time.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Lets see the real pics of this thing

The twobits boards are actually pretty decent; there have been posts on here before. They're normally sold as kit boards. The auction photoshopped out the two-bit text on the lower-left of the board (when oriented properly), you can see it. It's as close to original WPC as you can get. http://pinball.center also sells WPC kits but you have to ship through Mailboxde.com to the US. I'm waiting on two MPU boards and two 8-driver boards, will report back when they arrive.

#12 6 years ago

That's some sneaky shit.

1 week later
    #13 6 years ago

That's horrible there was some chatter about this fake board repair scam $100 to fix any board. File a claim, then call in and escalate it 3 days after filing the claim and they will make a decision on the phone. Most likely in your favor because there's nothing to return, services were not rendered and you will be refunded in full.

#14 6 years ago

Hey man send me an email I will have soon a NOS set of TAF plastics from Gene Cunningham if you're still searching for parts.

#15 6 years ago

Fraud alert! jzdziarski is the scammer!
    Board was fully tested prior to shipping. He used parts from the board I sent to him to use in his own boards he build! See other posts from him & my comments with them. Board appeared DOA when installed as he over torqued the lower screws & cut through the solder mask grounding the +5 volts, I confirmed this through pics sent from him through Ebay. Pics don't lie. Requested him to remove screws to see if it boots, he says no change & stupid design. I offered him to return the board for repair & I would return it at my expense. He says No & I just want a refund!
    The board was being shipped back with tracking a few days ago & it appears he used my Canadian address & US postal code when the return address was clearly marked on the package he received, this may cause the board to be returned to him as undeliverable. Who knows if I'll ever see the board or my $600 Paypal money which is being held in this case.
    Going forward all WPC CPU boards I sell will have nylon screws supplied to avoid this issue in the future. The auction will be updated as soon as this Ebay case is closed.
    Cheers,
    Dave (Linkpete on Ebay)

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from MissingLink:

Board was fully tested prior to shipping.

But the board is not "New", as the condition in your auction stated.

#17 6 years ago

I know its purely subjective but if someone takes a new blank board, populates it with all new components (except perhaps reusing the ASICs chip) and then burn tests it by whatever means to make sure it is solid, I would consider that a "New" product. Its no different than what Williams went through to build the original WPC MPU.

My concern is: Why is there a new board that is laid out where a mounting screw (that would typically be used as a grounding point), can short ground to the +5V traces? No one should expect the solder mask to protect from causing a short to ground. That is simply a poor design.

The other odd thing is in the Ebay Auction photo, it shows a self powered SRAM module (integrated lithium battery ST M48Z58Y). While the auction listing claims it to be loaded with a Ferro RAM product. FRAM refers to a specific technology. Which battery power is no part of. In theory, a FRAM will last forever. A ZeroPower SRAM module is good for 10 to 15 years since it uses an internal battery.

#18 6 years ago

Hope everybody's day is going well.
    The board is new, it was a blank board from Two Bit that was assembled with all new components that were purchased just prior to assembling it. The board was not assembled by Two Bit & was assembled by me. You may consider it used if you count the burn in time on my WPC test bed, or the time it was booted/ tested prior to shipping. I do consider this as a new product. Thanks for the comment about the FRAM as I've used a few different manufactures for this part, I usually install a Ramtron FM1608-120 which the manufacture states as a FRAM, but sometimes a different one is installed as per the auction pic. Ferro Ram was used as a generic term as not requiring batteries to maintain memory & that will be updated as soon as the Ebay case is closed with jzdziarski who has suddenly abandoned his Pinside ID. Yes I agree it is a poor design to have the +5 volt plane so close to the mounting screws, this is something that I wasn't aware of during assembly & testing. The simple cure is to install nylon washers or screws for the bottom mounting screws. This will also be updated in my auction once the Ebay case is closed. If someone purchases a WPC board from me on Ebay before this Ebay case is closed then I will alert them of this issue & won't expect them to complete the transaction. Both of the boards that jzdziarski received had the FM1608 Ram installed. Thanks for alerting me of the concerns with the Ebay description of this board, as I mentioned above the description will be re-written as soon as the Ebay case is closed as I don't think I can change the description with an open case.
    Hopefully this clears up any concerns with everyone.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/beware-of-scammer-linkpete-on-ebay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.