Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nicoy3k.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 2 years ago
    Quoted from ktuhde:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive/115880
    Warning to those new to buying pins. Obviously buying in person with cash is the only 100% way to ensure no scams, but it’s not always possible.
    A few days ago a World Cup Soccer for sale ad was posted by pinsider SameGriffin. The ad had red flags. New member, no pins in collection, pictures in ad were of a pin on location. They tried to add a little bit of legitimacy by paying for a Pinside+ membership, paying for a feature ad, and demonstrating a little knowledge by saying the soccer ball didn’t work and stating a reason why.
    I PM’d and asked for additional pics. They sent the same three. The pics were of a machine at Super Electric Pinball in Cleveland. I PM’d davideokills and he confirmed the pics were of his machine and he still has it. He said this person actually contacted him saying he was interested in buying it.
    So this guy is a scammer that is putting time, effort, and money into this. And he has to be in the hobby because he has too much knowledge to be a random scammer.
    The ad was taken down yesterday. But keep an eye out for this guy posting more for sale ads.
    If this is all a misunderstanding, please SameGriffin, let us know the situation.

Maybe he is selling it for more than he is buying it... so his "scheme" is to sell it on pinside, use the money to buy it from the arcade, and take in some profit. Technically not a scam, but a little hustly.

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

He's selling a machine that's not his. It's a scam.

I said technically you doofus. Besides, who is the victim in this scam? What law is being broken?

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

The "seller" is potentially taking cash from a buyer, without being able to deliver said machine. It's a scam. Not sure why you're trying to defend this type of "selling" tactic.
    For anyone reading this, don't "buy" a machine that a seller doesn't have possession of. Cash on the glass. No "glass" to put cash down on.

I am not trying to defend anything, I am simply helping the OP understand what he is dealing with.

If the deal with the arcade were to fall through and the original buyer returns the money, again, who is the victim here?

In a way its somewhat similar to placing an order with a distributor who doesn't actually have the inventory in stock, no?

Again, not trying to defend jack, stop being such a sensitive Suzy.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nicoy3k.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/beware-of-samegriffin-for-sale-ads?tu=nicoy3k and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.