Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive/115880

Warning to those new to buying pins. Obviously buying in person with cash is the only 100% way to ensure no scams, but it’s not always possible.

A few days ago a World Cup Soccer for sale ad was posted by pinsider SameGriffin. The ad had red flags. New member, no pins in collection, pictures in ad were of a pin on location. They tried to add a little bit of legitimacy by paying for a Pinside+ membership, paying for a feature ad, and demonstrating a little knowledge by saying the soccer ball didn’t work and stating a reason why.

I PM’d and asked for additional pics. They sent the same three. The pics were of a machine at Super Electric Pinball in Cleveland. I PM’d davideokills and he confirmed the pics were of his machine and he still has it. He said this person actually contacted him saying he was interested in buying it.

So this guy is a scammer that is putting time, effort, and money into this. And he has to be in the hobby because he has too much knowledge to be a random scammer.

The ad was taken down yesterday. But keep an eye out for this guy posting more for sale ads.

If this is all a misunderstanding, please SameGriffin, let us know the situation.

(Updated, one pinsider says the original for sale ad poster is real. Maybe not a scam, but more of an ethical business model question)

#2 2 years ago
    Quoted from ktuhde:

Warning to those new to buying pins. Obviously buying in person with cash is the only 100% way to ensure no scams, but it’s not always possible.
    A few days ago a World Cup Soccer for sale ad was posted by pinsider SameGriffin. The ad had red flags. New member, no pins in collection, pictures in ad were of a pin on location. They tried to add a little bit of legitimacy by paying for a Pinside+ membership, paying for a feature ad, and demonstrating a little knowledge by saying the soccer ball didn’t work and stating a reason why.
    I PM’d and asked for additional pics. They sent the same three. The pics were of a machine at Super Electric Pinball in Cleveland. I PM’d davideokills and he confirmed the pics were of his machine and he still has it. He said this person actually contacted him saying he was interested in buying it.
    So this guy is a scammer that is putting time, effort, and money into this. And he has to be in the hobby because he has too much knowledge to be a random scammer.
    The ad was taken down yesterday. But keep an eye out for this guy posting more for sale ads.
    If this is all a misunderstanding, please SameGriffin, let us know the situation.

Maybe he is selling it for more than he is buying it... so his "scheme" is to sell it on pinside, use the money to buy it from the arcade, and take in some profit. Technically not a scam, but a little hustly.

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Maybe he is selling it for more than he is buying it... so his "scheme" is to sell it on pinside, use the money to buy it from the arcade, and take in some profit. Technically not a scam, but a little hustly.

He's selling a machine that's not his. It's a scam.

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

He's selling a machine that's not his. It's a scam.

I said technically you doofus. Besides, who is the victim in this scam? What law is being broken?

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Who is the victim in this scam? What law is being broken?

The "seller" is potentially taking cash from a buyer, without being able to deliver said machine. It's a scam. Not sure why you're trying to defend this type of "selling" tactic.

For anyone reading this, don't "buy" a machine that a seller doesn't have possession of. Cash on the glass. No "glass" to put cash down on.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

The "seller" is potentially taking cash from a buyer, without being able to deliver said machine. It's a scam. Not sure why you're trying to defend this type of "selling" tactic.
    For anyone reading this, don't "buy" a machine that a seller doesn't have possession of. Cash on the glass. No "glass" to put cash down on.

I am not trying to defend anything, I am simply helping the OP understand what he is dealing with.

If the deal with the arcade were to fall through and the original buyer returns the money, again, who is the victim here?

In a way its somewhat similar to placing an order with a distributor who doesn't actually have the inventory in stock, no?

Again, not trying to defend jack, stop being such a sensitive Suzy.

#7 2 years ago

The account has been banned.

If anyone encounters a suspicious looking ad, please don't hesitate to contact a moderator or open a moderator feedback thread.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

I am not trying to defend anything, I am simply helping the OP understand what he is dealing with.
    If the deal with the arcade were to fall through and the original buyer returns the money, again, who is the victim here?
    In a way its somewhat similar to placing an order with a distributor who doesn't actually have the inventory in stock, no?
    Again, not trying to defend jack, stop being such a sensitive Suzy.

The pinball market is crazy! So you are saying he’s trying to kind of “short” the market.

Problem is that I am pretty sure he wasn’t going to buy this pin for cheaper than his asking price from a retail location.

He is just phishing with pictures of a pin he will never have to steal electronic payments for down payment or whole amount if the buyer is a real sucker.

Only reason I wanted to post was because he’s probably someone with experience in the pinball hobby and maybe someone with other or previous pinside accounts.

#9 2 years ago

He's probably reading this thread for feedback and on how to do better next time. In which case, if you are reading this, go take a long walk off a short bridge.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

The account has been banned.
    If anyone encounters a suspicious looking ad, please don't hesitate to contact a moderator or open a moderator feedback thread.

Thanks. I reported it yesterday. But after I PM’ed someone connected with the location of the pictured pin and confirmed the guy was posting pictures of a pin he didn’t have, I wanted to make sure people knew. The hustle was getting deeper, so I figured this guy was going to get someone to send him some money.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from ktuhde:

Thanks. I reported it yesterday.

I don't think I saw anything roll in about this. How did you report it?

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from ktuhde:

This scam/racket has been done by certain users out of New Jersey and Long Island. Not naming names as they haven’t been banned for it, but they post an ad for a machine they don’t have, usually have pictures of the prospective machine and the whole scam is that you offer to sell it before you buy it, then if you can snag a buyer paying more than it will cost you to buy it, you pocket the rest.

It’s a man-in-the-middle shakedown really. I think it’s scummy, unless you have been contacted ahead of time to find a machine for someone.
    Searching for a sucker and then buying a machine after you’ve hooked them is immoral and unscrupulous.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I don't think I saw anything roll in about this. How did you report it?

I clicked on report this ad within the ad. It takes you to a contact page. I think I ended up sending it to Robin.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from ktuhde:

It is ALWAYS possible. It’s just whether you choose to do it or not.

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from ktuhde:

I clicked on report this ad within the ad. It takes you to a contact page. I think I ended up sending it to Robin.

Ah, yeah, that didn't make it to the moderation team.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

It is ALWAYS possible. It’s just whether you choose to do it or not.

Exactly. Of the 60+ Pins I bought over the last 22 years, the only 2 I had shipped were from well-known distributors. I’m being a little hypocritical, since I’ve sold 3 pins to people I haven’t met and helped set up shipping. But for me personally, I won’t take the risk (or the added expense of shipping).

#17 2 years ago

I posted the same info in the Ohio for sale thread. Someone this morning says he vouches for this pinsider and traded a machine with him.

So maybe it’s not a 100% scam. Maybe it’s the case, like mentioned earlier, that he posted a for sale ad for a pin before he actually had it in his possession.

Or some other weird scenario like using pics of a pin that isn’t the actual pin he has in his possession.

Either way, seems like something I would avoid. The whole scenario doesn’t add up or make sense.

#18 2 years ago

monkeys home theater used to sell games all the time that they didn't own.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/beware-of-samegriffin-for-sale-ads and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.