Topic Stats

• 441 posts
  • 138 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by robin
  • Topic is favorited by 49 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2C8FDB36-DA64-4AD1-A023-89498C17C354 (resized).jpeg
    50F9F4A8-FD72-4025-9600-40A89D8BA7AF.gif
    1EF9A1B0-C14C-401C-BB3E-C371D34CA515 (resized).jpeg
    449395FF-EB01-4625-9990-DD4FAAB81820 (resized).jpeg
    Image 2-15-21 at 8.18 PM (resized).jpeg
    A9822BF5-E379-4CD7-9020-5DF2848A0334 (resized).jpeg
    Columbo (resized).jpg
    IMG_2491 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20210215-093656_Chrome (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20210215-093808_Chrome (resized).jpg
    download.jpeg (resized).jpg
    D0B9F4B0-85B3-4752-9F9B-FC42309C0F4F.gif
    J_Demare_Fraud_case_2021 (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 9.53.19 PM (resized).png
    Image 2-14-21 at 4.29 PM (resized).jpeg
    Capture (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snaroff.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#45 3 years ago

Here is my ASOA story...

Jonathan Demare (aka ASOA on Pinside) had 20 glowing reviews from 1/17/18-5/16/19 (https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/asoa/feedback/1) before "signing off" Pinside.

During this time period, I was an ASOA customer and purchased 4 Stern machines (IMDN Premium, Beatles Gold, Munsters Pro, & JP Premium). All fairly smooth transactions. He was loved and trusted on the local Florida Pinball site "The Village".

On 12/16/19, I purchased a Rick & Morty from ASOA. I paid in full, since he claimed I would have my game in Jan/Feb (and noted that on the invoice). I was shocked he could get the game in that timeframe, but Jonathan claimed to have a long-standing relationship with Norbert @ KingPin Games, who was a Spooky Distributor (https://www.kingpingames.net/). Since Jonathan delivered on 4 previous Stern games and seemed to be "connected", I trusted him.

In May, I asked Jonathan for my R&M game #, which he was unable to disclose. Considering I paid in full on 12/16/19, this was a big “red flag". I contacted both Norbert & Chris @ KingPin and they claimed to never have sold a machine to Jonathan (and didn’t even know who Jonathan was!). I also contact Kayte Emery @ Spooky. None of them were able to “find” the game I paid $7,250 for!

In June, I gave Jonathan the opportunity to "save face" and “make things right” (after bugging him almost daily). Since he successfully obtained 4 Stern games for me, I asked him to simply get me the latest Stern Premium going into production (TMNT Premium). He agreed and wrote up a new invoice (which gave me some hope I would finally get a game for my money he was holding hostage). This gesture gave me hope.

Almost 4 months later, still no TMNT Premium. Over the course of the 4 months, he had been telling me different stories about what Stern distributors he would be obtaining the game from.

Jonathan held my $7,250 hostage for over 10 months! At this point, I proposed simply getting me an AIQ Pro. I decided to "sympathize" with his business woes and offered him a compromise, with the goal of actually getting a game (and eating the 2k difference between a Premium & Pro).

Fortunately, the Pinball Gods were smiling on me and on 10/13/20, Jonathan delivered me a NIB AIQ Pro. To document my "loss", I asked him to generate a new invoice that showed I received an AIQ Pro instead of the R&M I paid for almost 1 year ago. Despite bugging Jonathan on many occasions, he failed to produce this invoice/documentation.

So, add me to the list of victims. My loss ended up being ~2k. Fortunately, it was the ONLY scam I've ever been suckered into (as a result of the 4 successful transactions). I typically don't deal with sweet talkers like Jonathan, however so many respected collectors vouched for him, I thought I was safe. Another reminder to always go with your "gut".

#173 3 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

The squeaky wheel gets the oil.
    If I was owed money, I would be that squeaky wheel.

Absolutely, but having lived through this (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/beware-of-jonathan-demare-asoa#post-6132804), I can tell you it's very tiring and stressful. At this point, I'm just thankful I received a game after "squeaking" for 10 months.

At this point, eating the 2k loss is worth not squeaking anymore...life is too short!

#176 3 years ago
    Quoted from thechakapakuni:

So this confirms this guy is in complete denial. As I mentioned, his comments on BBB using classic Marxist tactics blaming the customer who he ripped off. Text book psycho scammer.

During my R&M drama with ASOA (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/beware-of-jonathan-demare-asoa#post-6132804), it was shocking to me how many times he would blame & berate me! Yelling and screaming at me when I called KingPin and Spooky to try and determine where my game was! Shit, I had a paid invoice for a game to be delivered in Jan/Feb and when I started getting nervous in May he freaks out? If I didn't do some of this detective work and confront him with it, I'd be out the entire $7,250...no doubt.

Since I'm not a push over and have no problem butting heads with the best of them, eventually he would calm down and go into his best buddy schtick. The transition from "I'm the bad guy" to "I'm his buddy" was really something to behold (and it happened on many occasions last year).

Again, I did 4 very successful transactions with him and he was a rock star for a period of time on The Village and Pinside. Glowing reviews. Really tough to know if he simply got in over his head OR he was scamming from the beginning. From where I sit, it's hard to call.

#216 3 years ago

This is the last message I sent to Jonathan on 1/5/21, requesting he pay me the $1,750 owed.

Prior to this, I messaged JD 5 times (10/12, 10/22, 10/27, 11/19, 11/26), asking for an invoice to document that he delivered me an AIQ Pro (on 10/13/20) instead of the Rick and Morty purchased for $7,250 (on 12/16/2019).

Talk is especially cheap. The only thing that matters is paying people the money stolen from them. When my Rick and Morty invoice/sale was made, it was months before COVID. Based on my discussions with Spooky and their distributors, my machine never existed. This was fraud, plain and simple. Nothing to do with COVID.

Jonathan, since I know you are reading this thread, please contact me to make plans for paying me the $1,750 owed. I've arguably been patient.

Image 2-14-21 at 4.29 PM (resized).jpegImage 2-14-21 at 4.29 PM (resized).jpeg
    #217 3 years ago
    Quoted from rx3:

I only read a couple pages and couldn't read anymore. Sounds like the OP is ready to forgive this crook and was actually starting to defend him? Talking about how he has a family and stuff? Is this because you are on the verge of getting your money back? Eff everyone else? Wow.

You are wildly off base and really have no direct knowledge of what Bill is doing. I just talked to Bill. He is very interested in the bigger picture and isn't doing this just for himself. In fact, there are folks in the community that were hit harder and Bill is looking out for them. Bill is a right-minded person and doesn't deserve your negative vibe.

I realize some folks get a thrill out of piling on, but please don't "shoot the messenger" (especially if you haven't been hurt by ASOA). If someone has been financially hurt and is close to this fiasco, they are more welcome to chime in.

#279 3 years ago
    Quoted from jandrea95:

I would be pouring gas on this fire till I had every dime of my money back.

Good luck with that emotive approach if you are ever in a situation like this (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/beware-of-jonathan-demare-asoa#post-6132804).

You (and others) fail to mention the obvious public service of this crwjumper led thread. Moving forward, Pinsiders are now on alert, which will reduce the likelihood of *new* people being taken advantage of. Progress is being made for folks already hurt. At the moment, it's unclear how this will unfold, however Bill's fact based thread is clearly having an impact.

#282 3 years ago
    Quoted from jandrea95:

I just want to see you guys get your money back, you included. Again, I am an outsider and dont have the facts you guys do that have dealt with him. It just seems like this guys game is to keep people like you calm, while they scam others. You eventually get paid back with other folks money, and the cycle continues.

Trust me, I/we understand the game. I suspect most of the people involved are not naive/stupid. Nevertheless, I appreciate your concern. I've been in this hobby since 2004 and this is the first fraudulent transaction I've had to work through. Stressing out over shit like this isn't the answer.

#284 3 years ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

These facts are not in evidence anywhere in here.

I knew I could depend on someone to call this out. You are wrong. Were people hurt by Bernie Madoff all naive/stupid? Of course not.

#287 3 years ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

Yes. They were.

People transact business based on reputation. As I said in my first post (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/beware-of-jonathan-demare-asoa#post-6132804),

"Jonathan Demare (aka ASOA on Pinside) had 20 glowing reviews from 1/17/18-5/16/19 (https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/asoa/feedback/1)".

Like many Pinsiders, I use the reviews to help make sure I'm dealing with a reputable person. At the time, ASOA seemed reputable. For years, Bernie was also reputable. I didn't invest with Bernie, but many smart people did. If you don't understand this, your opinion means little to me.

#291 3 years ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

OK, sport. Next time you feel like paying in advance for a machine you will never get, look me up.
    Maybe I'll even do you a solid and only overcharge you for a different machine by say ... 2k?
    Sound like a good deal to you?

Absolutely. It's called trying to make the best out of a really bad situation! I got an AIQ Pro that I enjoyed instead of NOTHING! It's called negotiating...ever heard of that term? Apparently not. Here ya go: https://www.investopedia.com/terms/n/negotiation.asp

#292 3 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Op is going about recovery of funds the right way though. He has Jonathan talking about repaying people and he is helping reveal the paint-by-numbers portrait of this scam. So my hat is off to you, sir for posting on Pinside. Was Op paid back because Demare has changed his ways, is going straight and making full amends? Or was he a bit lucky to be partially paid, and maybe now has unknowingly become part of the scam going forward?
    If Demare owed a total of $400k (wag), owes Op $20k, and has $10k left in the business account - what would he do? Pay Op $10k and promise the rest via a contract. He knows the Op has been partially satisfied and will get on Pinside and tell of his good fortune. Thus, buying a few weeks. I am happy the Op has recovered some of his defrauded money but am also sorry because he was CONned. Jonathan should have paid him 100% of what was owed and issued him an APOLOGY for having tried to rip him off. Preselling Aliens and TBL was fraudulent pure and simple. Jonathan sold you something you wanted, that didn’t exist and which he didn’t own the rights to. He was caught, and the picture is becoming clearer with others chiming in on their losses. Jonathan is not sorry, he is sorry he got caught.
    Best approach in my opinion is to file charges while you try to recover funds. If you haven’t filed yet, get necessary info together and do that today. The reason this is important to do is it helps identify the whole picture by establishing how many people were duped and the amount owed to each. Then authorities can apply pressure regarding the whole problem. As it is now, it is a game of whack a mole. Person A pops up and gets some money and a promise. Person B pops up and gets some money and a promise. There is no accountability for the promises made. Person A doesn’t know $400k is owed and there is no money in the bank. If he knew this then he’d ask how he was going to be paid the balance promised. Person B doesn’t know what A was told so when he is promised $10k next week, he can’t call bullshit. This scam has gotten out of control and was facilitated by Iceman and few others spouting falsehoods. Good luck to those who were ripped off, but file your complaints now so when you aren’t paid back, at least the fraud is being investigated and Jonathan will have to answer for his actions.

Thank you for the intelligent post! Very helpful.

#295 3 years ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

And you only paid an Extra 2k.
    Nice negotiating. You could give john Kerry a run for his money with results like that.

And you probably don't have a pot to piss in with that attitude. Ever buy/sell stocks? You win some, you lose some. Same true for pinball transactions. The goal isn't perfection. Again, I received a fun game instead of receiving nothing. Please go assault someone else with your clueless BS.

#303 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

And like it's been said... if you feel sorry for this guy or are wanting him to not get in trouble, HIS SCAM HAS and IS WORKING. The reason he has gotten this far is from playing on his victims emotions and making them feel bad about him ripping them off...so much that they didn't go public sooner... which is why it got this far.
    This is not a slam on anyone here (except Jonathan) btw... I have been a victim of a scam of a confidence man in the past, and I am no idiot either. These guys (the scammers) are very good at making you feel for them as they're reaching in your pocket and then playing you when they aren't paying you back..

Quoted from fishmanrob:

Just buying more time and he hopes the spotlight gets off of him. File the lawsuit and call the police.

Exactly. Wise words.

Jonathan texted me this morning. Clearly, no remorse or mea culpa. Jonathan simply guilted me just as hard as ever...for example:

"I have helped you personally sell games, fix games and acquire games all at a great price".

This is a true statement. Unfortunately, it doesn't give him the right to scam me on a Rick and Morty that he never delivered OR came clean on (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/beware-of-jonathan-demare-asoa#post-6132804). He disclosed this morning that he eventually received "my" Rick and Morty, but cannot back up this assertion with any hard data (or even game #!). This is denial, folks. If he did receive my R&M, he undoubtedly cashed in big time, since it is worth a lot more than $7,250! In fact, I "paid up" to get one locally, which if I was being a stickler, is a related loss from ASOA not delivering the game I purchased in December 2019.

I'm glad Bill is having some success getting his money back, but based on my text messages with Jonathan, I have no hope. Life is too short for me to stress out over a $1,750 loss! I'm going to back away from this thread, since it opens old wounds. I have nothing more to add. I've told my story and said my peace.

#340 3 years ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Bro...buying pinball machines, especially from "reputable" companies is not like buying stocks. The goal is indeed perfection.
    I mean, I see your point, getting something IS better than nothing, but the fact remains you got scammed.

Of course I got scammed! Duh. As I said in my first post in this thread, I also had 4 perfect transactions with JD, so it's not like I was scammed by a stranger! I was scammed by someone who was considered a rockstar based on the Pinside reviews (which were 100% wildly positive).

EVERY pinball transaction has the opportunity of being imperfect.

Years ago, I bought a NIB AC/DC that had an awful PF. Little Shop of Games stood by me, and got Stern to send us a populated PF which LSOG replaced. An example of an imperfect transaction made perfect.

Years ago, I bought a CQ CV and it was damaged in transit. Imperfect transaction. The shipping company and seller both helped pay for the damage IIRC. Again, an imperfect transaction made more perfect.

The R&M transaction was extreme imperfection I paid in full for a game in December that was promised for January/February...in writing! After 10 months of bickering with JD, I convinced him to at least deliver me a game (AIQ Pro). For folks close to the situation, they were really shocked that I was able to get ANYTHING out of JD given his woe-is-me story. So while some of you can criticize me for compromising, you really have no idea what it's like to deal with a situation like this. Sure...I could have been more adamant about a FULL cash settlement. I don't believe that would have been the right path FOR ME. Getting a machine to enjoy and putting this to rest was far more important. My fucking monthly healthcare cost more than $1,750, just to put the loss into perspective. It's not a big deal. Getting something to play was a bigger deal for me. It's a hobby after all, and when I look at all my good fortune in this hobby, this was small time shit.

Bottom line: Of the 60+ machines I've purchased over the years, only ~6 transactions have been "imperfect"...this being the worst, obviously.

#362 3 years ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

This was the right thing to do Steve. You would have most likely not have gotten anything. Make a deal, get what you can, while you can. This guy will crash and burn and that will be the end of the money trail....

Thank you. No doubt in my mind it was the best solution given the cards I was dealt. After talking to nearly everyone connected with Spooky, I was convinced he didn't have a game (though he disputes that to this day).

After waiting 4 months for JD to deliver a Stern Premium, it became clear he was only able to obtain Pro's, so I lowered the bar yet again. When I received the AIQ Pro, I was relieved to finally put this saga behind me. Sure, it wasn't R&M, but it was a fun game that allowed me to recoup ~80% of my money.

IMG_2491 (resized).jpegIMG_2491 (resized).jpeg
    #413 3 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Yeah but a list of serial numbers and cooperation from the manufacturers would go a long long way to flushing this dirt out

Yep. Here is a JP2 I bought from ASOA that arrived in Pasadena on 12/3/19. At the time, JP2 Premiums were in short supply. Shipper was Stern Pinball. No distributor markings. No mention of ASOA. The consignee was an unfamiliar name at my California address. Other than the name not being mine, nothing unusual about the box/game.

No doubt that ASOA coming through on JP2 led me to ordering a Rick & Morty on 12/16. I wanted to order it directly from Spooky, but they sold out really quickly and I missed the boat. When JD said he had 2 on order and would sell me one for $7,250 and estimated delivery was Jan/Feb, I jumped on it (invoice below). The price was below market and the estimated delivery was crazy fast. Since I never purchased a Spooky game, but know they are a low volume producer, I should have done more investigative work to see if this was legit. Since JP2 was the 4th game purchased through ASOA, it inspired confidence that JD was plugged into all the manufacturers/distributors.

Image 2-15-21 at 8.18 PM (resized).jpegImage 2-15-21 at 8.18 PM (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snaroff.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/beware-of-jonathan-demare-asoa?tu=snaroff and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.