Topic Stats

• 441 posts
  • 138 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by robin
  • Topic is favorited by 49 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2C8FDB36-DA64-4AD1-A023-89498C17C354 (resized).jpeg
    50F9F4A8-FD72-4025-9600-40A89D8BA7AF.gif
    1EF9A1B0-C14C-401C-BB3E-C371D34CA515 (resized).jpeg
    449395FF-EB01-4625-9990-DD4FAAB81820 (resized).jpeg
    Image 2-15-21 at 8.18 PM (resized).jpeg
    A9822BF5-E379-4CD7-9020-5DF2848A0334 (resized).jpeg
    Columbo (resized).jpg
    IMG_2491 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20210215-093656_Chrome (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20210215-093808_Chrome (resized).jpg
    download.jpeg (resized).jpg
    D0B9F4B0-85B3-4752-9F9B-FC42309C0F4F.gif
    J_Demare_Fraud_case_2021 (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 9.53.19 PM (resized).png
    Image 2-14-21 at 4.29 PM (resized).jpeg
    Capture (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider john_i.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from Trogdor:

He was legit, then just flipped the switch.

I was one of the lucky ones. I bought a very nice lightly used Stern game from him early on and we talked at length about it on the phone. All the cool mods available and how fun it was to play, and on and on... He was a really enthusiastic guy that was easy to talk to and always spoke of his family and daughter and their love of this game room full of highly modded new games. He talked a lot of talk about how big his company is (was) and how he was buying out Stern distributorships up and down the coast to get more volume. He painted a picture of a hard working family man building a great business. Even at the time I was suspicious of his business practices. I figured he was gaming the system by pulling games out of the box, playing a few games, putting a few cheap mods in and then selling them at a price below what Stern would allow an NIB to be sold for.

When the game arrived, I asked the delivery guy (who I will leave un-named) about Jonathan because I hoped he would have a story about an awesome game room and really big business front. As the OP mentioned, I was informed that in all of the many deliveries that he had done for ASOA the game had been picked up in a parking lot somewhere. This was the first confirmation that something was strange. Apparently on each and every one of the many deliveries there was some sort of excuse given for why it was more convenient to meet in a Walmart or gas station parking lot. I can understand someone not wanting people coming to their house, but what about the storefront or at least a warehouse needed for such a large business?

In the following months I got some Pinside mail and even a phone call once in a while offering new Stern titles at ridiculous low costs with no sales tax. I wasn't in the market or I probably would have bitten. He told me the next three Stern titles before they were announced and he was correct in hind sight. When Star Wars came out that was a title I had to have, but thankfully a friend of mine in the top IFPA 1000 used his once a year friends and family rate to get me a game and I skipped ASOA. Then I started hearing stories about ASOA, and not good ones. People started contacting me to see if I had ever been ripped off by him. Fortunately I had not, but I can understand how people could have been drawn in.

So that leaves a lot of questions referring to the "He was legit, then just flipped the switch" quote above. Maybe he was legit at one point, but more than a little shady too. From what I understand there was a time not too long ago where Stern busted dealers for selling below a set price limit? Maybe Stern dumped his ass? Maybe as someone mentioned he fell into an expensive habit? Who knows what turned him from a shady to full on rip off? All that I know is that even if he was at one time legit, where is the storefront or warehouse? Where were the employees other than him? I feel bad for anyone who lost money to this guy.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider john_i.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/beware-of-jonathan-demare-asoa?tu=john_i and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.