(Topic ID: 25125)

Better to buy first pin local in state from dealer/collector or out of state?

By Jackontherocks

11 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

If you’re looking to buy your first machine is it better to wait until one becomes available in your state that you live in rather than buying out of state if you happen to find one. I am just curious as to other pinsiders opinions especially since my tech knowledge of fixing the game myself would probably be a problem if received from out of state. I am looking for the advantages or disadvantages. I know patience is key so I have been waiting it out. Is it better to buy from a pinball dealer or collector? One advantage of buying from a local dealer is a limited 30 day warranty usually I have seen offered and they can fix almost any problem if it occurs because they know or sold the game. Buying out of state you don’t have the ability to play the game and usually rely on photos and phone conversations if no video of the game is provided. Just curious to others especially when it comes to my first purchase which would be about $2,500 not including the shipping which probably be another $350. Looking forward to hearing from you all and helping me out.

#2 11 years ago

First pin buy from a collector who will take the time to explain everything to you. Don't buy unless you can see it up close. You may not be experienced enough to know what to look for in pics.

#3 11 years ago

I prefer local collectors just because you sometimes end up making a trusted friend that invites you over to play his(her) pins and drink a few beers, I doubt you would ever get that from a dealer. I know most pinsiders have mixed feelings on shipping a pin, Id personally much rather go peak and play before I hand over payment. Good Luck my man!

#4 11 years ago

Yes, listen to Alex. Buy from a collector who had a passion for pins. Someone that will enjoy talking pins with you instead of just trying to sell you one. A guy who loves and takes care of his pins and is just trying to change up the line-up instead of fliping a pin. You will end up with a much Better pin. The retail route can be ok if its a respected dealer(you can ask here for that info) and you don't mind paying more for the 30 days piece of mind. If you do buy out of state be prepared to fix something. A bad switch or burnt connector at the least. Pins don't work %100 long unless a very good shop job has been done and even then there is no guarantee. Your best bet would be buying here.

#5 11 years ago

Get in touch with some of the local collectors in your area and i am sure you would find one that could help you find a game or even help if you bought one that needed some repairs.

#6 11 years ago

Buy from a collector like pincrazed. You wouldn't believe the care he put in shipping the TZ I bought from him. Totally happy

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from alleycat-pinball:

Get in touch with some of the local collectors in your area and i am sure you would find one that could help you find a game or even help if you bought one that needed some repairs.

Yes, thanks that is what I have started to do and have them on the lookout for a TFTC which is the choice I am most likely want. It seems most of the local vendors have a hard time responding. I am only able to find the game I want out of state over the past few months but truly believe it would be best to have one of the two local vendors find it for me to avoid any major issues. At least I would be able to see and play the game with my own eyes before throwing down the money.

#8 11 years ago

Local collector, definitely.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/better-to-buy-first-pin-local-in-state-from-dealercollector-or-out-of-state and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.