Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by terryb
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

167080-i.jpg
    167084.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

Can't decide between the Hakko fx 888d soldering iron or the Panavise 324 to help me hold the board and I can only afford one. I have a cheap Radio shack iron now. Not sure which way I should go. I need both.

#2 10 years ago

Convince wife, girlfriend, cousin, other, that you need both and to kick in extra funds needed.

#3 10 years ago

A good iron will go a lot further if your iron is very basic. I love my panavise, but if it were that choice, soldering iron first.

The 324 wouldn't be my choice in panavises, either.

#4 10 years ago

Wife already gave me the ok to get both but I'm afraid she'll suddenly be asking me for the okay for a new purse...

What Panavise do you recommend? I don't think I can justify spending more money but if the 324 isn't very good maybe I'll just get the soldering iron.

#5 10 years ago

Just get the cheapest Hakko w/ adjustable temps. It will be MILES better than your RS iron, and not too expensive.

Mine has been excellent, and does everything I need. had it for 3 years now.

#6 10 years ago

Sorry, I meant to post that info, but got distracted by work and children last night

305 - Base
    308 - 5# base weight
    315 - PCB vise. Comes with 12 inch bar, holds PCBs up to 10 inches long
    318-22 - 22 inch extension bar, allows to hold up to 20 inch long PCB

167080-i.jpg167080-i.jpg167084.jpg167084.jpg

One tip - look for used parts if you can. These are pretty indestructible. Make offers on people's eBay listings and look for listings with free shipping. If you have to pay separate shipping on 3-4 items, you will probably end up spending as much as buying them new and shipping from a single supplier!

#7 10 years ago

Thanks for the info John. Is the 324 no good because it's too small to hold the larger circuit boards or just kind of cheap?

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

Sorry, I meant to post that info, but got distracted by work and children last night
    305 - Base
    308 - 5# base weight
    315 - PCB vise. Comes with 12 inch bar, holds PCBs up to 10 inches long
    318-22 - 22 inch extension bar, allows to hold up to 20 inch long PCB

I was struggling with a board rocking all over the pace last night, I didn't know these existed. I just checked Amazon and these 4 items are right around $100 shipped with Prime. Can anyone else comment on these over doing board work on a flat surface?

#9 10 years ago

I have a Panavise and it is a great addition and very nice, but a good solder/desoldering station should be your first acquisition. You can mess things up with a cheap iron, most likely you won't damage something if you don't have a Panavise.

I find that I mainly use the Panavise when trying to remove stubborn components where I have to heat both sides of the component to get all the solder to flow and get sucked out of the through hole. The vise is really nice as it frees your hands to get the work done. But for most of my rework, I have the board on the bench and don't use the vise.

#10 10 years ago

Get the best soldering station that you can buy first.

#11 10 years ago

Get a good soldering station, and hold out for the Panavise. If you can wait a while, the panavise 324 was around $40 from Radio Shack for Black Friday.

#12 10 years ago

I work on boards daily for hours on end. No vice here, i physically hold the board vertical when desoldering and lay it flat when soldering.

That being said, spring for the good soldering iron first.

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from Miknan:

Thanks for the info John. Is the 324 no good because it's too small to hold the larger circuit boards or just kind of cheap?

Well, here's my theory on the 324.. I'm sure there are people who use the 324 and like the 324. I don't mean to imply it's no good or it's junk, because I'm sure it's better than nothing, and quite useful on boards of a certain size. It says it holds boards up to 12 inches wide. So, get a ruler out and see how many of the boards you might work on are 12 inches or narrower. The solder holder is an OK touch, the iron holder I don't see me ever using.

The cross bar could be changed out with a 318-22 so larger boards would fit, if you like. Truthfully, you don't need to buy the 318-22 if you can find a piece of square stock at a home improvement store, welding supply, etc of the right size. You could cut it to length, file the edges smooth, drill a hole, and make your own cross bar of any length you desire.

I prefer the 5# weighted base because when you put bigger boards in the vise, it can tip over if you don't have a weighted base. It just makes a more sturdy arrangement. You could clamp or bolt the base down, but I don't have enough workbench that I can dedicate a certain spot to board repair day in and day out. Sometimes, I have a board on the bench and a logic probe out. Sometimes, I solder and desolder. Sometimes, I'm sorting parts. So, with the weighted base, it picks up and sits on a shelf above the bench when I'm not using it.

I've done plenty of work on boards without a vise. It certainly helps, but is not a requirement. As has been said over and over here, decent iron first. Board vise later, if at all, based on your tastes.

Andrew, as much work as you do on boards, I believe if you tried a vise, you'd like it, and want to have one

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

I work on boards daily for hours on end. No vice here, i physically hold the board vertical when desoldering and lay it flat when soldering.

I've gotta go with barakandl on this one. I have a panavise in the closet that hasn't been pulled out in years.

#15 10 years ago

Thanks John and everyone else for your input. I'm going to get the Hakko fx 88d. I had bought that Panavise 324 off Amazon late last night but cancelled it this morning. I'll piece those parts together later when I get some extra money. I'll buy that soldering iron now. Thanks again.

#16 10 years ago

maybe you pry terryb's out of the closet.

#17 10 years ago

As my Dad would say when questioned about throwing/giving something away that he hasn't used in years and had forgotten he even owned: "But I might need that some day."

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/better-soldering-iron-or-panavise-324 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.