(Topic ID: 267615)

Better ruleset: Batman 66 or Elvira HOH?

By PanzerFreak

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by rai
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“Which game has the better ruleset?”

• Batman 66 53 votes
    51%
  • Elvira HOH 50 votes
    49%

(103 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D9A8413B-094A-4425-B231-62A430263D23 (resized).jpeg
There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

I may have narrowed my next game down to Batman 66 or Elvira HOH. I've played each game on location a good amount and enjoy both. I'm a fan of objectives based rulesets that tell a themes story well through code and each of these games seem to do that well (maybe Elvira more so?). I also like that both games do a great job with licensed assets and callouts.

Both of these games have a good amount of objectives based modes but it's hard to tell which one is deeper considering more code work is still to come for Elivra. Does either title do a better job of providing the player a journey type experience similar to say LOTR, Hobbit, and WOZ?

Thank you

#2 3 years ago

I believe the Batman is better, considering the time and all. Then again I may be wrong. Prolly just a rigid Batman fan!

#3 3 years ago

I think B66 has the better ruleset but I think once Elvira has more time the code will become just as good.

#4 3 years ago

Thanks for the feedback guys. I read one review on here that said Batman 66 is more about points versus a journey based ruleset. Any truth to that? The game does seem to have a lot of objective based modes.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Thanks for the feedback guys. I read one review on here that said Batman 66 is more about points versus a journey based ruleset. Any truth to that? The game does seem to have a lot of objective based modes.

There's so many different ways to go about playing batman.

For novice players, they attack the 4 main villains. Advanced players, will work through the minor villains.

#6 3 years ago

It's hard to compare these 2 on the code, Elvira is still new and incomplete, but the playfield and the number of shots show that it can become a killer game once the code is completed.

But I don't think any of these 2 reaches the code depth of a JJP, where LOTR plays in the same league as TSPP in the deepest games that Stern ever produced.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I may have narrowed my next game down to Batman 66 or Elvira HOH. I've played each game on location a good amount and enjoy both. I'm a fan of objectives based rulesets that tell a themes story well through code and each of these games seem to do that well (maybe Elvira more so?). I also like that both games do a great job with licensed assets and callouts.
Both of these games have a good amount of objectives based modes but it's hard to tell which one is deeper considering more code work is still to come for Elivra. Does either title do a better job of providing the player a journey type experience similar to say LOTR, Hobbit, and WOZ?
Thank you

It comes down to which theme you like better. Both games are fantastic, 3lvira shoots much nicer. Both games have reasonable ball times so you can get a good idea of what each game is like by playing them both.

Have fun. No wrong choice, both are really good games.

#8 3 years ago

Funny, these are the exact 2 I have it narrowed down to for my next pin, probably going to be Elvira because the wife absolutely loves it.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Funny, these are the exact 2 I have it narrowed down to for my next pin, probably going to be Elvira because the wife absolutely loves it.

Yeah it's a tough choice!

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yeah it's a tough choice!

You know what u to do then, right? Buy both. It just feels right.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

You know what u to do then, right? Buy both. It just feels right.

Best advice in this thread by a wide margin!

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

There's so many different ways to go about playing batman.
For novice players, they attack the 4 main villains. Advanced players, will work through the minor villains.

So two ways to attack it then?

If you’re looking for an epic journey, batman is definitely not that. Rules are great though.

Haven’t played Elvira since really early on, but I hear great things. Ball times take FOREVER on it though. If that matters to you.

#13 3 years ago

You can't go wrong with either of these choices. Plenty going on with the rules on each. Batman is a little more polished at this point since EHOH is still less than 1.0 code (0.95 I think). Both are a good mix of objectives (modes, working towards mini-wiz and wizard modes) and points strategy (stacking modes/multiballs, playfield multipliers, etc.). It's worth checking out both in a home environment at some point, so grab one now and one some other time.

#14 3 years ago

Regarding these two games, despite of Lyman’s talent, I can’t pass away the poor playfield design.

#15 3 years ago

I can’t speak on Elvira much since I only played early code, but I really do love Batman. The theme integration ranks up there with hobbit, I feel. Each villain works through particular episodes corresponding to the series, so consequently you see a lot of different clips from the show. I prefer playing it to work my way through the villains, and seeing more clips, rather than getting more points. Before you start your game, you can choose to assign different episodes to the major villains too, so you get to see even more clips. Hope that helps!

#16 3 years ago

Elvira by a country mile! After owning bm66 I had decided I liked TDK better. That big turntable ended up being a stinker and the execution of the crane was not nearly as satisfying as TDK.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

So two ways to attack it then?
If you’re looking for an epic journey, batman is definitely not that. Rules are great though.
Haven’t played Elvira since really early on, but I hear great things. Ball times take FOREVER on it though. If that matters to you.

Thanks, good to know. Yeah Elvira is a fun game, really enjoy the interactive toys on the game which all feel used well. Would you or anyone else say that Jurassic Park falls into that epic journey type game?

Part of me also feels like Elvira even has even better theme integration then Batman 66 due to the custom clips and callouts from Elvira as well as custom callouts by Tim Kitzrow.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Would you or anyone else say that Jurassic Park falls into that epic journey type game?

No. Hobbit or LOTR maybe are the only two I’ve seen that fit that bill.

#19 3 years ago

My opinion I would go with Elvira. I’m a huge Batman fan. I’m a comic guy. Huge DC fan. My back room is the bat cave I have a bat chair. I had Batman 66 for nine months. I just couldn’t play it anymore. I got rid of it fo Tspp. Mine just wasn’t smooth. It might have just been my table. But I still killed the game. My Elvira is smooth. Long ball times. The animations on Batman is what saved the game. It would have been a turd if not for Lyman. I loved answering the bat phone to start the villains. That’s cool hit the bat poll and shoot it around the left to hop in the bat mobile was satisfying. My opinion Elvira is the better game. The house is so cool with all the lights that change. Gappa angry is a blast.
I haven’t got to play .95 yet. But it’s already a beast of a game. My brother was hesitant when I got Elvira. He was worried it wasn’t going to be good. It’s a keeper for sure.

#20 3 years ago

I’m not hating on Batman 66. It’s a good game. Just not great in my opinion

#21 3 years ago

Elvira code is really coming along very well. My vote is for Elvira, though admittedly I don’t have a lot of time on BM.

Elvira has a lot going on, there are at least 6 mb, progression through the house, house party, side modes with the crypt, Trailer trash, Johnny mode, etc. it may not be difficult, but there’s a lot in this code and progressing through it just feels fun, not like chopping wood with some games.

Wish I could get more time on Batman.

#22 3 years ago

I owned BM66 for 8 months. It has good code but I hated the gameplay. Like Pinstein said above, I prefer BDK.

I purchased EHOH after putting some time on .93 code last month. For all you who preach about how great BM66 is, EHOH simply blows BM66 away!

The depth and quality of the code is nothing short of outstanding and only getting better! Although it is a fan layout, there is so much going on, you don’t give it a thought: 9 distinct “haunt” modes, House Party, Deadheads, Freak Fryer, Gappa Angry and the 6 associated side modes, Un-happy Hour, Drive Me Crazy, Gar-goils Gone Wild, Hand is Fate/Manos Wheel, at least 10 different multiballs that are accessible as you progress through the game...

This game is one of the best ever made!

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

I owned BM66 for 8 months. It has good code but I hated the gameplay. Like Pinstein said above, I prefer BDK.
I purchased EHOH after putting some time on .93 code last month. For all you who preach about how great BM66 is, EHOH simply blows BM66 away!
The depth and quality of the code is nothing short of outstanding and only getting better! Although it is a fan layout, there is so much going on, you don’t give it a thought: 9 distinct “haunt” modes, House Party, Deadheads, Freak Fryer, Gappa Angry and the 6 associated side modes, Un-happy Hour, Drive Me Crazy, Gar-goils Gone Wild, Hand is Fate/Manos Wheel, at least 10 different multiballs that are accessible as you progress through the game...
This game is one of the best ever made!

That is great feedback, thanks. I'm now leaning towards Elvira HOH. One thing I like about Elvira is that the house and the crypt are used often throughout the game. Not a lot of games do that and instead restrict toys to a few modes or even just a single mode.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

No. Hobbit or LOTR maybe are the only two I’ve seen that fit that bill

I think WoZ is also an epic journey pin.

#25 3 years ago

I think about it this way:

B66 was released and the code was pretty much a dog. The playfield layout isn’t for everybody - but it’s not a fan, so it’s at least an attempt to make it unique. Then later on, (a year later? Or more?) it had some killer updates that were light years beyond the First release.

EHOH had a good but still kind of ho-hum first release. Then it had a MAJOR update. And another. And another! Another one was just released 2 days ago. It’s fun, NOW. B66 took a lot longer to get to where it was even fun.

I personally bet on EHOH Ultimately being a better game (vs another NIB I had in mind). Very happy with my decision.

#26 3 years ago

I wanted BM66 to be a keeper, but I'm just not sure now.

Rob

#27 3 years ago

Wow what a great topic. I missed out on Batman 66. I was not in a position to buy at the time, and even when Batgirl edition was released, I couldn't afford. Played, enjoyed, and still want one.I missed expo 2020 in Chicago but had tix to Midwest gaming expo and was going just to check out Elvira. Just bought an Elvira premium, strictly off Twitch footage. I had bid on a 66 premium for $7500 and missed out so bought this. I absolutely love, & see my family playing for years.

#28 3 years ago

I had Batman 66 and loved everything about it except for the gameplay. It just shoots okay in a couple the shots are just a little too tight. I sold it to buy Elvira and I'm glad I did. Elvira shoots a lot better the code is very deep already. I have had about 20 Stearns and I consider Elvira one of the best 3 with Lord of the Rings and Star Trek.

#29 3 years ago

Agree with the sentiment for EHOH. While both are fun pins the layout and shots in Elvira are superior to BM66. I thinks it’s one of Sterns best package in recent times.

#30 3 years ago

Wow, guess I need to play Elvira. I didn’t vote because I haven’t played EHOH but thought BM66 would run away with it.

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

Wow, guess I need to play Elvira. I didn’t vote because I haven’t played EHOH but thought BM66 would run away with it.

I told ya so!

#32 3 years ago

I have a lead on a great priced HUO Batman 66 premium but all these comments about Elvira are making it more tempting. Only have room for one more game at the moment. Lots of good discussion, thanks guys.

#33 3 years ago

Truth. Now go get one so I can play one!

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I have a lead on a great priced HUO Batman 66 premium but all these comments about Elvira are making it more tempting. Only have room for one more game at the moment. Lots of good discussion, thanks guys.

Sell Dialed In.

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Sell Dialed In.

That one is bolted to the floor, really enjoy that game. At the moment I don't want to sell any of my games but would like to add one more.

#36 3 years ago

To me!

#37 3 years ago

I don’t know about rulesets, but I ended up going Elvira. It is a Nordman design with Freres on art, Lyman on code, Elvira on custom video and the voice actor from SS. I was looking for a BM66, really happy I didn’t find one or I wouldn’t have been able to afford Elvira.

Also I am with you on Dialed In....love that one as well.

#38 3 years ago

Owned BM66. Loved the Batman theme more than Elvira. However, EHOH edges it out with better play and shooting.

#39 3 years ago

I owned BM66 for a few months and it was fun and I didn’t mind the shot layout it was kind of cool. The code was pretty decent but it only had a few things to really go for. To get to the mini wizard modes you basically just did the same thing 3 different times. I own Elvira now and as it sits(code .95)it’s got a lot more going on then BM66 IMHO. Elvira does a great job of using everything on the table. The modes are fun(but so was B66). The call outs are top notch...love them. The crypt is a cool toy that has its own objectives. The trunk toy is fun and also has its own objectives that tie into the main modes. The house itself is really nice looking and starting to get more interactive with each update. The main multiball(garage)has 3 different layers that each fell different. Grappa Angry wizard mode is just awesome. One other good thing is all the physical locks in this game Just make it feel a lot more interactive...rather than virtual locks.In the end Elvira should end up being a great pin.

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from wolfy:

I had Batman 66 and loved everything about it except for the gameplay. It just shoots okay in a couple the shots are just a little too tight. I sold it to buy Elvira and I'm glad I did. Elvira shoots a lot better the code is very deep already. I have had about 20 Stearns and I consider Elvira one of the best 3 with Lord of the Rings and Star Trek.

Too tight? I would say challenging...what is a good point in my book.

What I qualify as tight shot, then I need to play an Houdini, some people are also talking about ACNC. One or 2 shots are also tight on Alien.

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

That one is bolted to the floor, really enjoy that game. At the moment I don't want to sell any of my games but would like to add one more.

maybe wait to see the next JJP if you are « clicked » with these games. Just a thought.

#42 3 years ago

The Batman 66 rulesheet is one of the best, if you know how to play it right...
Elvira is just fun. But I hope it will be better after more updates.

#43 3 years ago

I voted Batman only because it is finished. 3lvira is quickly becoming one of my favorite games but there are still holes to fill which is expected for a game that isn't at 1.0 yet. Finished wizard modes and implementation of the raygun and other items should put it over the top.

#44 3 years ago

Only played routed versions of both. And EHoH far less. And already enjoy Elvira far more. I wanted to like BM66 so much. It’s flawed. Lots going for it but it’s just not very fun. I can always get a really long game going on it, and it gets boring. I owned LOTR for years and never got bored of it. GOTG is more fun than BM66.

I was pleasantly surprised by Elvira. It just feels right. I’ve played Elvira and JP2 about the same amount and so far like Elvira better. Seems like a more satisfying overall package. Need more time on both of these. Don’t really care if I play BM66 again or not, but Im sure I will, because I’d love to change my mind on it.

#45 3 years ago

I did like BM66 a lot and game play is pretty good just not quite as smooth as Elvira. I put 800 games on BM so I I did enjoy playing it and the shots were rewarding. I would pick Elvira over any newer Stern to be honest.

#46 3 years ago

Solved! Both great games

D9A8413B-094A-4425-B231-62A430263D23 (resized).jpegD9A8413B-094A-4425-B231-62A430263D23 (resized).jpeg
3 weeks later
#47 3 years ago

well, can i say : in fact was thinking about Munsters, but...

#48 3 years ago

The better one is the one YOU enjoy most.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Thank you

#49 3 years ago

Get BOTH if you can afford it!

Both are FUN (sometimes long-playing) games with incredible code.

1 year later
#50 2 years ago

Now that Elvira is more compete what do you think?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
ScottyMods

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Docquest Pinball Mods

10,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

10,000 (Firm)
$ 25.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 12.95
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

11,855 (OBO)
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/better-ruleset-batman-66-or-elvira-hoh?hl=beebl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.