(Topic ID: 81918)

Better location game; Metallica or Star Trek?

By BigBangBack

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Hwawonyu
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I'll be operating my first location (a great pool hall in Massachusetts) within the next few months, and wanted to get some advice from the pinside community.

In addition to an Austin Powers I'm restoring, I want to buy a NIB Stern, particularly a Metallica Pro or Star Trek Pro. I love both machines, but this isn't about me. This venue attracts pinheads and non-pinheads with an after-work crowd (bio, tech, IT professionals) as well as a hipster crowd.

I am leaning towards Metallica because the look, sound, and theme of the machine may fit in better with the pool hall, and I feel Metallica is a little easier to approach for a pin newbie (go for the electric chair, drop targets, ramps), as opposed to Star Trek, which requires you to know what to do when the first timed mode ends (restarting missions with the extremely difficult under-the-flipper shot or the side scoop shot). Also, I think Metallica will only get better with updated code, and we can put in additional songs (I'm thinking Michael Jackson's "Heal the World" would sound great coming out of a Metallica pin).

Any thoughts?

#2 5 years ago

Best of luck with the venture. I totally agree with you. I would drop money in a Metallica machine all day long (yet again, I haven't played it yet) because like you said, people can recognize one of the greatest rock bands of the past 40 years with the blending of bright colors, animations, toys/gimmicks, and playability to all levels. Start Trek is a kick ass machine with the lasers and such, but it may not appeal to a wider genre that Metallica could. Not to say that it is a lesser machine by any means, but from a vendors perspective I feel Metallica would have a better ROI.

#3 5 years ago

Metallica for a pool hall.

#4 5 years ago

I'd be stoked to find either on location. Metallica might be a more polarizing theme, some people will have strong opinions about the band.

#5 5 years ago

A local operator is looking to drop his Metallica from location because it's the worst earner out of the 10 or 12 games they have (which includes some Bally/Williams titles, modern Sterns, including Star Trek pro)

#6 5 years ago

ST all the way.

#7 5 years ago

I'm gonna say Star Trek just BECAUSE you want to put a Micheal Jackson song in Metallica. UGH.

#8 5 years ago

AC/DC or METALLICA , forget ST as it is more a fanboy game. Music games around alcohol always work well, just make sure you have some good beer seal installed.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

AC/DC or Metallica , forget ST as it is more a fanboy game. Music games around alcohol always work well, just make sure you have some good beer seal installed.

He didn't say AC/DC or........ if he had, I'd go with that over Met. any day. I still think ST will
appeal to more peeps. You get some "country" guys in there and they won't even look at Met.

#10 5 years ago

ST is a much less polarizing theme.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

AC/DC or Metallica , forget ST as it is more a fanboy game.

Not in the US it isn't. I mean there are insane trekkie fanboys, but it's a big movie franchise here that did really well, it's not a niche title.

#12 5 years ago

I don't own either one yet, but will buy one soon for location use, so I have the same dilemma.

I have talked to several operators in different parts of the country, and they have told me Metallica did great the first month or so, but ST *killed* for about the same amount of time. Both dropped off after a couple months, and seemed to earn about the same at that point. In a lineup with several other pins, including 90's "A" titles, guess which one consistently outearns the rest, after the newness wears off?

BDK. And I'm not the first one to say that. I think people love the crane, and I can't blame them.

But back on topic...the advice given to me is to buy the one I personally like the best, since it could end up coming home at some point. And for me, that's Metallica.

ST sure has the flashy looks (LED's) and is probably the wider known theme of the two, and has a more active/interactive bash toy...but for a pool hall, Ride The Lightning!

-Mark

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I'm gonna say Star Trek just BECAUSE you want to put a Micheal Jackson song in Metallica. UGH.

Right on!

#14 5 years ago

Either would be a great choice. As would an AC/DC pro.

If you do get a music pin, how loud you can turn it up in the location will be directly proportional to how much it earns. The louder it is, the more you will earn. A turned down music pin won't earn nearly as well as say a ST pro would at the same volume. You can add a headphone jack, but it still won't earn as much as if it was turned up loud.

#15 5 years ago

<<BDK>>

Speaking of BDK, may I digress to say that Lyman Sheets left the code's backdoor wide-open to score 1Billion points just like Apple programmer left the code backdoor open for hacking your computer's Wi-Fi! Oops. Maybe he should work there--or maybe he has a future at the NSA.

Meanwhile, buy a ST. Lyman didn't program that one. End rant (yes I'm still bitter about this

#16 5 years ago

If the thought of adding a Michael Jackson song to the Metallica pin really did cross your thoughts, please do not buy a Metallica pin!

#17 5 years ago

I was of course kidding about adding Heal the World to Metallica! If I did that, my machine would be destroyed its first week out on location.

I appreciate everyone's feedback, and I'll keep everyone updated!

#18 5 years ago

Pool Hall= Metallica
Bar/Cafe next to Nasa or the library=Star Trek

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Morgantown, PA
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deerfield, IL
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 199.99
$ 35.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 495.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Lumberton, TX
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
$ 7,199.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Machine - For Sale
Wichita, KS
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 16.00
$ 15.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside