(Topic ID: 94409)

Better game? Jurassic Park or Demolition Man?

By Blake

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by chuckwurt
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Looking to purchase one of these two in the near future.
Thanks
Blake

#2 9 years ago

I prefer JP but Demo Man is pretty fun, as well.

#3 9 years ago

JP for me. Never cared for the layout of DM.

#4 9 years ago

I have not played JP yet. Probably played 5 or 6 games of DM. Own an EBD and am really looking for a game with ramps and toys. JP looks like it only has 1 ramp but from the reviews it doesn't look like that has taken away from people liking it. Love both themes.
Blake

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from Blake:

JP looks like it only has 1 ramp but from the reviews it doesn't look like that has taken away from people liking it.

JP is a very solid game. Only 1 ramp but 3 scoops, raptor pit, t-rex etc more than make up for it.

#6 9 years ago

Demo Man!!! Ok, yes, I am a huge fan of DM. And that's because I play it a lot. I bought DM with the intention of playing it for a few months and moving it along. And that was only because I played Rascals game, and it seemed to be a long term thing for him. So when one came up I jumped on it. And after those three months I decided on 6 months. And then a year... And now more than two years later it isn't going anywhere. I tend to change the setup once in a while to keep it fun. Right now I have the claw disables and the outlanes fairly open. Disabling the claw prevents me from picking multiball over and over, and of course the buy-in is disabled as well. So for me the objectives are Demolition Time and Demolition Jackpots.

If I kept audits, I'm pretty sure that is my most played game. I almost always end the night with it no matter what else I played because I find it very relaxing. With claw disabled you can smash both ramps back and forth for combos. Do that 3-4 times in a row and you feel like a pinball god.

#7 9 years ago

Well I own both and both are great games but totally different .if you want a pretty difficult precise shot game with lots of modes than jp is your game .if you want lots of ramps and consistent action and lots of multiball action than dm may be your game .also both have new code available or soon to be which is awesome also .I guess in the end both get played about the same I guess it depends what mood im in because jp frustrates me very easily lol.i really like the handles on dm and think I tend to push the start button just a litter more on dm ..

#9 9 years ago

Oooh DM any day of the week. JP gets really old really fast.

#10 9 years ago

DM, Williams Widebody, one of the most underrated games around.

#11 9 years ago

JP is too easy,try DM

#12 9 years ago

OMG this is such a difficult question! I love both games and they have both changed my view of pinball.

- Jurassic Park: This is a Data East, so don't expect the same amount of quality as would be in a Williams machine. Despite this, JP is a classic machine based on a classic film, with 10 modes, a unique ball-eating T-Rex, and one of the best multiballs in all of pinball (if you haven't started CHAOS 6-ball yet you need too). Also someone is making a new code update for it that will improve some aspects.

- Demolition Man: IMHO this machine is just that wee bit better than Jurassic Park, though it's probably only my opinion. 5 modes, 4 multiballs, and an awesome light show. The two major goals of the game are to collect the Demolition Jackpot from completing all 4 Multiballs, and to begin Demolition Time from collecting all 5 Cryo-Claw rewards. I have seen some people just head for quick freezes all day though, so that could impact your view on the game. However it has a ridiculous amount of flow and I think 4 crazy, looping ramps. If you want a cheap SuperPin this would be your best bet.

#13 9 years ago

Demolition Man all day, every day, personally think the machine is very underated....

#14 9 years ago

exact +1

Quoted from whisper:Demolition Man all day, every day, personally think the machine is very underated....

#15 9 years ago

JP. I owned both a DM and JP. Sold both. Purchased another JP. I wouldn't purchase another DM. Get a JD if you are looking for a widebody/super pin.

#16 9 years ago

For me, I would go with DM. It's unique and underrated. It's also about the same price as JP, maybe even less, depending on condition. Both are fun to play, but DM is better.

#17 9 years ago

Both are fun games. DM is way more polished but easier to play.

JP modes are neat but not well coded. It would be nice if you actually had to finish them.

Both come up for sale all the time so pick either.

#18 9 years ago

Demolition Man easily. Jurassic Park is a totally fine machine, Demolition Man is just better. They are so different in play that I'm not sure other peoples' opinions should really matter though.

#19 9 years ago

I'll go with JP. It's basically a rip off of TAF, playfield AND rules wise, and that's pretty good source material. It's also got a great theme and the T-rex is one of the best things in pinball...next to Thing.

Demo Man is good but the handles are stupid, the translite is awful (compared to JP). Maybe it has a SLIGHT edge on playfield art quality but it's not like that's very interesting artwork on the DM playfield.

The biggest problems with the game come from a half-baked ruleset that both negates the Claw as an interesting toy, AND renders a full 1/3rd (far left) of the huge playfield as pointless.

Why aren't the eyeball or car crash a jackpot or Superjackpot shots in any of the multiballs? Would make this game far better. Those two shots are interesting but totally wasted by this ruleset.

There aren't many DE games that are gonna win a showdown with a WPC for me but JP is one of them.

#20 9 years ago

I sold my JP to buy my DM. I don't regret it. JP was fun for a while, but quickly became boring to me. My kids and some friends miss it because they said it was the easiest one to play. The JP theme is great and it is a lot of fun to mod, but DM is more challenging and holds my interest. If you're going to have several pins, JP will be good to add to a collection, but if you only have one or just a few, I recommend DM.

#21 9 years ago

DM at first then I sold and JP has been lasting.

#22 9 years ago

Demo Man. Tons of combos and flow.

#23 9 years ago

I really strongly dislike DM. Just never understood the appeal of that game at all, so definitely JP for me. It copies one of my favorite playfield layouts of all time, WW!

#24 9 years ago

Thanks for all the opinions and info. I'm strongly leaning towards demolition Man. Mainly because I played the one for sale and know its condition is incredible and also because it's about 40 minutes away versus three hours. Price is the same jurassic park being 300 more.
Thanks Blake

#25 9 years ago

DM. the new FreeWPC rom is a neat change of pace from the original ROM and adds to the longevity IMHO.
Sure, it's probably the worst of the B/W widebodies, but still better than JP.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

Sure, it's probably the worst of the B/W widebodies, but still better than JP.

Popeye gets that award.

#27 9 years ago

DM. It is probably the biggest surprise in my collection. Picked it up because it was a good deal, but I don't think it is leaving anytime soon. It's just a fun game to bang around. Combos and multiballs are all it really has to offer, but it offers a ton of them. Guests seem to love it. JP isn't a bad choice either, but DM will always be my dark horse.

#28 9 years ago

So now onto price???

#29 9 years ago

Lately depending on condition between 1800 and 2400 and a perfect one with mods and chrome plating 2500

#30 9 years ago

DM just never did anything for me. I think JP is much better.

#31 9 years ago

I can't wait for the JP code update Chad is working. Randomizing the first mode is going to make it stay in my collection even longer.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

Randomizing the first mode is going to make it stay in my collection even longer.

That's the tipping point? Seems a bit extreme.

#33 9 years ago

Some of the modes I rarely see because I suck. It will be nice to not start with stampede every dang time and give each game something new so yeah. DM doesn't make the cut in my lineup. I miss it and yes the flow is fantastic but I was getting to demo time every game almost. Plus the backglass is sinfully ugly and I like JPs backglass.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Lately depending on condition between 1800 and 2400 and a perfect one with mods and chrome plating 2500

I have a near perfect one and can't get 2k here in st Louis. I would say $1200 to max 2k

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

Some of the modes I rarely see because I suck.

This is a consideration for the OP. DM can be more exciting to play because there are a bunch of ramps and combos and aunt flow. You can hit a bunch of ramps and feel good when playing I guess.

The strange thing is, JP has some of THE WORST PF art of all time...but somehow looks better than DM. IMO only, DM is right up there with the ugliest games I've ever seen, and I don;t even mean the can or back glass. That's all subjective though...but it's a shit fest.

#36 9 years ago

Agree, though the handles are pretty kick ass and make it look somewhat better. JP art is crude but I don't mind it a bit and the backglass looks great with my gameroom which doubles as a theater room.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from DougPiranha:

I have a near perfect one and can't get 2k here in st Louis. I would say $1200 to max 2k

O wow wish I was there I know like 4 or 5 sold before Allentown for between 2000 and 2600 so must depend on location

#38 9 years ago

They both get old fast! Owned both and sold both, but if I had to pick base on what I like I'd say DM. But my kids like JP because of the theme..

Did they ever write new code for JP? because if they did that would definitely help..

#39 9 years ago

I put them about dead even. I wouldn't mind trading my JP for a DM one day. They are both good games with bad art.

#40 9 years ago

JP. Its one of my top 10 favorite pins of all time.

#41 9 years ago

DM is fast and fun with ramps and moving claw. JP bores me with only one ramp. T-Rex head is cool if works but overall TFTC is better and GNR is best for data east.

#42 9 years ago

No poll = FAIL

#43 9 years ago

Jp...for sure... played dm several times and could not get into it, but cant get enough jp

Besides jp was a much better movie than dm...thats gotta mean something right?

But now that I think about it, avatar was a much better movie than the shadow and look how that turned out.

#44 9 years ago

Add a poll for the win OP.

#45 9 years ago

I enjoy them both but prefer DM. DM has Sandra. "We really licked his ass!"

1 year later
#46 8 years ago

I really enjoyed reading this old thread. Currently have have a jp on location in Cambridge ma and people are loving it. Chaos with the smart missile makes the game. Total quarter pumper. And despite what other people have voiced, I enjoy JP's art package

DM was my first ever pin purchase back in 2005. Bought it because I love ramps modes super jackpots and Wesley snipes. Can't wait to explore the New code modifications

MTC

#47 8 years ago

I've had a jurassic park for over 18months - never gets old - lots of fun!!!

#48 8 years ago

Both are very entertaining in my opinion. Currently own dm and like it alot. Owned jp and kinda miss it.may own it again if right opportunity comes up.

#49 8 years ago

Two completely different games that cannot be compared IMO. You won't regret either purchase though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 250.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 18.95
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/better-game-jurassic-park-or-demolition-man and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.