(Topic ID: 326952)

Better Foot Protectors For Allowing Nudges?

By PanzerKraken

3 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20221206_041536861 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20221206_041526680 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20221206_041520495 (resized).jpg

#1 3 months ago

So been working on my skills and nudging still is a tough one for me, but notice that it also depends on the machine. Newer machines are lighter and easier to move around, but older pins like my Tales from the Crypt feels super rock solid and heavy, and it takes a ton of force to do any type of nudge at all with it. So I got tile floor and wondering if a problem I'm having is the type of foot protectors I'm using? Using these simple plastic moving sliders, doesn't feel like I got a ton of give on the tile: amazon.com link »

Besides putting wheels on the machines (lol), is there better more responsive feet option that would work well with getting the machine to nudge easier, or am I just terrible at this lol. Seen the rubber feet that are meant for the bottom foot bolts, do those have more slide to them? Or going to straight felt pads?

#2 3 months ago

I prefer leg levers with nylon bottoms for hard floors. Like these https://www.pinballlife.com/leg-leveler-with-nylon-glide.html

That said, nudging need not be actually moving the machine enough to slide the legs around. You can influence the ball a great deal with nudges that are not hard enough to move the machine's position. Although, sure, once in a while, you may do a drastic move that causes the machine to move, but that is not the core technique. Make it a goal to nudge effectively without necessarily moving the game. The machine can move quite a bit just in the flex in the legs without the machine moving positions. A lot of it is timing and nudging in the right direction. Keep practicing, watch videos, or best yet, find league play near you and observe others play and ask for tips. Happy playing.

#3 3 months ago

I have some pins on hardwood. The front legs have the rubberized cups to stop it from sliding around on a nudge and the back has the felt pad so you can pick up the front of the game and make a small movement to the game if needed. Good combination for me.

The sliders made from a hard material will eventually get something abrasive under it and can still scuff up the floor. I guess that can happen with the felt stuff too, but seems less prone.

#4 3 months ago
    Quoted from PanzerKraken:

So been working on my skills and nudging still is a tough one for me, but notice that it also depends on the machine. Newer machines are lighter and easier to move around, but older pins like my Tales from the Crypt feels super rock solid and heavy, and it takes a ton of force to do any type of nudge at all with it. So I got tile floor and wondering if a problem I'm having is the type of foot protectors I'm using? Using these simple plastic moving sliders, doesn't feel like I got a ton of give on the tile: amazon.com link »
    Besides putting wheels on the machines (lol), is there better more responsive feet option that would work well with getting the machine to nudge easier, or am I just terrible at this lol. Seen the rubber feet that are meant for the bottom foot bolts, do those have more slide to them? Or going to straight felt pads?

I agree 100% with everything jackd104 already wrote: the machine doesn't really need to move on the floor for a good nudge to work, but if you do want low friction, a nylon foot is probably the best you're going to do, short of one made of PTFE (Teflon).

That said and for what it's worth, I used those "super sliders" in the 3.5" version on carpet, and they work pretty well for sliding the machine around. My main objection/problem with them is that the leveler foot squashes down the middle of the foam and the plastic, which concentrates the weight more, reducing their effectiveness.

I fixed that problem by designing and 3D printing supports to put between the leveler and the slider. They spread the load evenly over the whole foam rubber part:
    Pinball leveler foot lift

This might also improve the performance of those sliders on hard floors. Alternatively, you could probably use furniture felt on the bottom of those sliders to get them to work better, or you could modify that design to eliminate the recess on the bottom and attached furniture felt directly to the 3D printed part.

I made two kinds: one adds a full 1" to the height of the leg, which I used for a couple of games that for some reason I couldn't get the playfield angle correct without putting the leveler right at the very end of its range (I don't like them extended that far...seems too rickety); and another that adds just 1/4", which IMHO is the minimum I could do and still get the leg's weight distributed well over the foam part.

Anyone interested can download and print them themselves from my collections on Printables and Thingiverse:
    https://www.printables.com/social/375277-peted/collections/331598
    https://www.thingiverse.com/pete-d/collections/pinball

#5 3 months ago

I buy some sliders at home Depot that work. I can take a pic later tonight if needed.

I can slide games easily on my vinyl floor. But I set my tilts tight to discourage being too crazy

#6 3 months ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

I prefer leg levers with nylon bottoms for hard floors. Like these https://www.pinballlife.com/leg-leveler-with-nylon-glide.html
    That said, nudging need not be actually moving the machine enough to slide the legs around. You can influence the ball a great deal with nudges that are not hard enough to move the machine's position.

This exactly. Good players will nudge the machine all the time, almost constantly. Off posts, bumpers, slings, inlanes/outlanes, and at every opportunity to get a desired bounce from the ball. None of these small moves should trigger a tilt, but enough to get a small reaction to help keep the ball in play. Watch some youtube videos of some great players like Bowen Kerins or Jack Danger. You will see them constantly nudging without moving the tables across the floor.

#7 3 months ago

Nudging does not, and should not be moving the feet at all. You're talking about siding the game which is a whole different level. Nudging is just bumping the machine at the right time to add or remove force from the ball impacting something. Like bumping forward to make the ball hit the top of a sling harder to force it up higher, or a slap save to get the ball onto a flipper and not stdm. You can move the playfield quite a lot without the feet ever moving.

#8 3 months ago

FWIW all these guys are right about not needing to slide machines to nudge.

I use these to help move them around (I keep them on all the time). But when needing to rearrange games a lot or a little, they are worth the ~$10 for a set of four.

Just have to make sure my floor is clean to minimize the chance of trapping some sand and scratching it

PXL_20221206_041520495 (resized).jpgPXL_20221206_041526680 (resized).jpgPXL_20221206_041536861 (resized).jpg
    #9 3 months ago

I understand the not needing to go nuts, it just seems like with those foam padded movers that I got little nudging ability. Even on newer lighter machines, it's like slapping the machine for a slap nudge does almost nothing and I really got to go in hard to get any nudge to have any ability to affect the game. So wondering if need something that would give the machine a bit more give as it feels like I'm hitting hard and not seeing any results. You watch the nudging vids online of folks doing them and they seem so effortless at how easily they move the machines around.

#10 3 months ago

I understand the not needing to go nuts, it just seems like with those foam padded movers that I got little nudging ability. Even on newer lighter machines, it's like slapping the machine for a slap nudge does almost nothing and I really got to go in hard to get any nudge to have any ability to affect the game. So wondering if need something that would give the machine a bit more give as it feels like I'm hitting hard and not seeing any results. You watch the nudging vids online of folks doing them and they seem so effortless at how easily they move the machines around.

Nudging, again, isn't moving the game's feet. That is sliding. My games all have rubber feet on the front 2 legs and I nudge and slap the crap out of them. Perhaps you are waiting too late to nudge and that is why you are losing balls? You can and should get physical with the game all over. Not just at the flipper button area. You can slap a game on the side of the cabinet farther up to get a ball off of a rail and avoid the slingshot, etc.

#11 3 months ago

take the glass off, let a ball roll on its own into a rubber, watch what happens, do it a few times. Then do the same thing again, but this time nudge the game as the ball makes contact, you may not think you are doing anything, but you'll see the difference really fast.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/better-foot-protectors-for-allowing-nudges and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.