(Topic ID: 106423)

Better biggest A-list title? Star Wars or Harry Potter?

By jfh

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 51 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Astropin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which do you think would be the bigger A-list title for a new pinball?”

• Harry Potter 42 votes
      43%
    • Star Wars 55 votes
      57%

(97 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Emma-Watson-Photoshoot-061-Andrea-Carter-Bowman-2010-anichu90-17380997-1128-790.jpg
    There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

The next Heighway Pinball title will be announced tomorrow and it's being teased as the biggest of A-List titles. Taking a huge, speculative, leap here with absolutely no knowledge of the title in question - which title would you consider the biggest license for pinball between Star Wars or Harry Potter?

When I asked my daughter (24) what she thought would attract her peers, she said she thought Harry Potter would draw in more non-pinball players, while Star Wars would appeal more to those that already liked pinball.

What do you think?

#2 9 years ago

I vote Harry Potter since there is not one single Harry Potter Pinball Machine.

Bring on Voldemort Wizard MB!!

Marcus

#3 9 years ago

Star wars is liked by young and old. Has lived longer.

Must be bigger then harry potter. But that is a very expensive license.....

Still vote for star wars on this one.

#4 9 years ago

I'd be way more excited for Harry Potter even if that license is a few years late. I don't really need another Star Wars pin and a magic-themed pin can only have cool toys.

#5 9 years ago

Star Wars is timeless. Harry Potter is too new, and skews too young for your typical pinball buyer.

#6 9 years ago

ROAD HOUSE!

Finally!

#7 9 years ago

Is Heighway Welsh? I know the Brits like to keep the Potter stuff to themselves, so maybe that would factor in to it?

As for whcih is bigger I don;t know...I didn;t see the last 3 HP movies, and wish I didn;t see the last 3 SW so it's a toss up to me.

#8 9 years ago

There are several A list options - Stars Wars and Harry Potter would be near the top end of that. Harry Potter would be more likely I think. But I would bet it is neither for Heighway, but I could be wrong for sure LOL

#9 9 years ago

Pink floyd or led zeppelin

#10 9 years ago

I want the word "wizard mode" on the playfield fosho.

#11 9 years ago

Game of thrones also a list

#12 9 years ago

Only company that can do Star Wars right with today's new tech is JJP

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Only company that can do Star Wars right with today's new tech is JJP

I would agree - for now - and with a little hesitation. I think Stern can do this right as well, but I would give the nod to JJP - as of today anyway.

#14 9 years ago

I don't think you get more A list than Harry Potter. There is so much potential there. Imagine a replica of Hogwarts. You could also add dragons and Quidditch. The range of characters has no end. Yes, I do like Harry Potter a little bit.

#15 9 years ago

Comparing Star Wars to Harry Potter is like comparing Coke to Pepsi.

Both are big but one absolutely blows the doors off the other.

Coke (Classic) owns over 17 percent of the carbonated beverage market. #2 is Diet Coke (9.4%) and then finally comes Pepsi at #3 (8.9%).

BTW in this comparison Star Wars is Coke.

#16 9 years ago

And no one says "I'll take a rum and Pepsi"

#17 9 years ago

Would probably enjoy Star Wars more, but it's already been done. So...I'm in for a Emma Watson LE.

Emma-Watson-Photoshoot-061-Andrea-Carter-Bowman-2010-anichu90-17380997-1128-790.jpgEmma-Watson-Photoshoot-061-Andrea-Carter-Bowman-2010-anichu90-17380997-1128-790.jpg
    #18 9 years ago
    Quoted from zucot:

Star Wars is timeless. Harry Potter is too new, and skews too young for your typical pinball buyer.

But the average aged pinball buyer has kids...I would buy one NIB for sure

#19 9 years ago

My cousin's three boys all wore round glasses and were totally into HP when it was all the rage. Now that they are in their 20s they all deny and downplay it like they are pretending they never believed in the easter bunny or santa. I realize this in anecdotal data at best but it just seems like Star Wars is much more timeless and not something you outgrow. To me Star War would be the better choice by far.

#20 9 years ago

Which ever it maybe, just take the time to make it a great A-list player..

#21 9 years ago

Can't be Jaws . Just can't be.

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Can't be Jaws . Just can't be.

Well "Jaws" is certainly NOT an "A-List" brand.

#23 9 years ago

Star Wars still has more draw and the animated movies seem to be very popular with kids.
    As long it has absolutely nothing to do with Episodes I-III it's a fantastic brand that everyone knows.

Gotta keep in mind that HP is over but there are new SW movies coming and I bet it's going to be a hit with the kids. Disney can't possibly mess those movies up more than Lucas did the new trilogy.

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from Kugelhagelfisch:

Disney can't possibly mess those movies up more than Lucas did the new trilogy.

I'm more worried aboot JJ Abrams than Disney...but even the horrible new ST movies were better than Lucas' garbage

#25 9 years ago

Bring on Black Sabbath.
    (removed photo)

#26 9 years ago

I wish they would at least hint....movie, TV, band

#27 9 years ago

Considering we've already had three Star Wars titles, I'm much more interested in it being James Bond, Harry Potter or Doctor Who. Harry Potter since we've never had one, James Bond because the generic Gottlieb from 1980 is pretty outdated and Goldeneye is great, but only touches on one film and not the series whole, and Doctor Who with the reboot Doctors added because there's a whole new audience that would be attracted.

#28 9 years ago

It's been hinted by someone in the UK who knows...could be one of these three:

Aliens
    Superman
    Ghostbusters

#29 9 years ago

Godzilla?
    Guardians of the Galaxy?

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from mark9:

It's been hinted by someone in the UK who knows...could be one of these three:
    Aliens
    Superman
    Ghostbusters

Aliens or Ghostbuters would be amazing! I agree with everyone else that SW has already been done and I would think that would be a Stern title.

#31 9 years ago

I'm up for Ghostbusters or Dr Who.

#32 9 years ago

Would a Ghostbusters be the old crew though? Or the new chica reboot...which doens't interest me.

#33 9 years ago

Oh god.
    Ghostbusters
    Ghostbusters
    Ghostbusters

#34 9 years ago

Not Star Wars...apparently film release date isn't soon enough.

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from mark9:

Aliens
    Superman
    Ghostbusters

Do any of these really register as biggest of the A-listers though? Aliens I really don't see being that wildly popular. Is Ghostbusters that big of a phenomenon still?

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from The_Director:

Do any of these really register as biggest of the A-listers though? Aliens I really don't see being that wildly popular. Is Ghostbusters that big of a phenomenon still?

Interesting that it's Ghostbusters 30th anniversary this year.

#37 9 years ago

Bond would be cool, especially if it was a snap shot of each one, Bond 24 in 2015

#38 9 years ago

Ghostbusters please!

#39 9 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

Bond would be cool, especially if it was a snap shot of each one, Bond 24 in 2015

Yep, Bond or Dr. Who and MAYBE Harry Potter would persuade me to open up my wallet after seeing layout. Superman, Ghostbusters or Aliens would put me out.

#40 9 years ago
    Quoted from ZenTron:

Pink floyd or led zeppelin

Would buy them both, but I think "The Beatles" would be even bigger.

#41 9 years ago

Dr Who hasn't been ruled out...

Think I may have to stay up for this one (announcement is 1am in the UK).

#42 9 years ago

Given the age of most pinball enthusiasts, I would think Star Wars would be the better seller for in-home collections. However, I think Harry Potter would do better on location and, more importantly, attract some young blood.

As far as the better pinball concept, I live/breath Star Wars, but I do think Harry Potter would be a better theme integration.

In the hands of an innovative manufacturer, either would be smashing. Star Wars as a fast play (ala Tron) and Harry Potter as a deep long playing (ala LOTR)

#43 9 years ago

I voted for Harry Potter, however I would prefer Star Wars. Given that SW has been done so many times before it would be cool to see HP be done once. I would buy both, prefer SW for myself but would like to see HP be done before SW. I guess that is a little confusing.

#44 9 years ago
    Quoted from inhomearcades:

I guess that is a little confusing.

Makes sense to me. Not a massive HP fan but agree with a fresher idea.

#45 9 years ago

I would think Ghostbusters would be out with the Pinball Arcade table...

#46 9 years ago

I think HP would sell better than SW. HP is a much easier sell to the wife than SW. Plus then you can say you are getting it for the kids.

#47 9 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Well "Jaws" is certainly NOT an "A-List" brand.

Says you. :p

I'm still enthralled with jaws 40 years later.

Harry potter? Haven't been able to watch any of them all the way through. Dragfest.

Star Wars is awesome but been done in pinball quite a bit already.

Besides, one of these three titles is upcoming. Any guesses which one will be a pin before the other two?

#48 9 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Star Wars is awesome but been done in pinball quite a bit already.

Yeah, but not one of them is good.

#49 9 years ago

I like me a good "what the next A-list title thread." But it should be a vote for Muppets versus Ghostbusters!!!

#50 9 years ago

Looks like the Heighway answer is "none of the above"

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/better-biggest-a-list-title-star-wars-or-harry-potter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.