(Topic ID: 199162)

The Siegecraft Beta Testing Thread (Now Expanded to Gottlieb!)

By HHaase

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 107 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by HHaase
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

GB003-001 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1467 (resized).JPG
    IMGP5698 (resized).JPG
    IMGP5696 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Gott_Lieb.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#22 6 years ago

If it's not too late, I would love to get in on your WMS 3-7 bench display. We end up repairing a fair amount of 3-7 boards on the bench. We do a lot of 9-11Cs too.

Jim

1 week later
    #32 6 years ago
    Quoted from HHaase:

Ok. Current revision PCB on the bench displays looks good. A couple tweaks are still needed to make it easier to build but nothing that would have any effect from a customer standpoint.
    So I'm going to release the bench displays for low-rate initial production, I'll probably have 8-10 pieces from this first early run available to sell.
    This first few pieces won't have exactly the same layout/parts as the regular production pieces, so they'll be at a discounted price. I still need to work out instructions and harnesses, but I'll have that done by Monday, to start shipping out Tuesday.
    http://www.siegecraft.us/presta/index.php?id_product=64&controller=product&id_lang=1
    -Hans

How do you add this to a cart, and will you take PP for it?

Thanks,

Jim

1 week later
    #40 6 years ago

If you want some feedback, I tried it on a Sys6 and Sys7, and all was well. On two Sys9 boards, it did not work as expected. There were strobing numbers and "?" characters. Anyone else have an issue with Sys9?

Jim

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from HHaase:

Well, shoot, I forgot that System 9's header were a different layout.
    Probably confusing the display with odd signals.
    For System 9.....
    The BCD connector should go on 1J3 pins 1-9
    The Strobe connector should go on connector 1J2
    -Hans

So, you don't want strobe 1 (IJ1-9) for System 9? I had BCD connected to IJ3 and strobe to IJ1, and the results I saw were in my previous post.

Jim

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from HHaase:

Well, shoot, I forgot that System 9's header were a different layout.
    Probably confusing the display with odd signals.
    For System 9.....
    The BCD connector should go on 1J3 pins 1-9
    The Strobe connector should go on connector 1J2
    -Hans

Pic of it connected, and a video of each, your old 7-digit LED display (P1 and status) and the new OLED display. The OLED is connected to the BCD data on 1J3, (the open 3 pins are for commas on P1, P2 And P3, P4 and /blanking) and display strobe 1 (pin 9 of 1J1).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rCahbWXOFynoeKz02

Jim

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from HHaase:

That is damn peculiar for sure. Not sure where my old header info came from, it was in my notes from a few years ago, and been a while since I've had a system 9 board here in person. You've definitely got it hooked up right.
    How are you powering the tester? If you don't have good ground continuity between them the inputs float and give all sorts of nonsense data. IIRC the analog ground for the sound portion of system 9 boards is somewhat isolated from the digital ground.

It's powered by the alligator clips attached to a bypass capacitor on the same board.

Jim

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from HHaase:

That system 9 issue has me perplexed. Any chance you've got a logic analyzer or oscilliscope? I know you probably don't, but I'd be interested to know the timing on strobe 1 and on your blanking line.
    Next batch is looking like right around thanksgiving availability. Bare boards are arriving today, just waiting on shipment info for the OLED's, and then I'll order the other parts too.
    -Hasns

I have a scope, but what does the blanking have to do with this? The blanking is a signal that is not even connected to this OLED display board. Plus, the blanking is either high or low, unless you want the signal that originates off of pin 4 on the display PIA, before it becomes the blanking signal.

Jim

2 weeks later
    #54 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Can anyone else repeat those results on another sys9?

Similar results when hooked up to a Rottendog 3-7 combo board. Question marks when in audit mode, and not the expected numbers when in attract mode for Flash. It should alternate between 000000 on P1 and the high score of 500000 or 550000 (I can't recall the default HSTD ATM).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EsOHMvYE8JJIXoFx2

I'm going to try this with a stock WMS power supply, if I get the chance this weekend. This is on the bench with an AT power supply.

I'll also comment regarding the crimp connections on the display outputs of any of the boards tested. The tangs on these crimp connectors tend to exit the .156" 9-pin housing. Not certain what brand they are, but judging by the look of them, they are not Molex brand.

The 2 pin .100" housing likes to pull off of the header for the power of the OLED a lot. I would try a different connector there. A 3-pin or 4-pin .156" friction lock header with a complimentary ramped housing would work well.

Jim

#58 6 years ago
    Quoted from HHaase:

Makes perfect sense, and that's what I figured. Looking at the System 9 schematics they moved to a 4mhz oscillator in place of the earlier 3.58mhz crystal. This would potentially alter the interrupt timing enough that my display would be out of sync, and I wonder if Rottendog did the same.

I looked at the crystal yesterday, and could not discern what speed it was set to run at (it is a little square, 4-legged unit). I'll have to look up the part number to see what it is.

Jim

#59 6 years ago
    Quoted from HHaase:

The housings were among the LAST Keltron brand stock that I had on hand. I ran out of those about 2-3 weeks ago, and everything going forward is both Molex brand housings and Molex brand crimps now.
    The latest version of the boards has moved to a .156 sized power header as well. I haven't been using locking tabs though. Easy enough to change if it proves to be an issue with the .156's, but I'd prefer to keep without the locking ramp as I have a lot of leftovers from the aux LED adapters as I build those.
    If you look at the data on the attract mode, the 550,000 does show up there, but it blinks so stinking fast you can't see it. Looking at things more closely, it looks like I ended up with an incorrect resonator. Should have a 16mhz part and I've been building with an 8mhz. I'm going to follow up with my programmer to see what may be causing the issue with the bad data, should be possible to do a simple code update if that's the issue. Hopefully I don't have to start swapping resonators but I will if I have to.
    Step 1 here is going to be making sure I have the problem fixed properly, step 2 will be to get it out to you guys.
    Edit:
    Here's an oddball question. Since Rottendog doesn't publish a schematic for their board, I assume it's still using a 6808/6802 processor? Is the crystal marked for what speed it is?

It's actually displaying 555000, which is incorrect. Also, it lags on the time that it shows the HSTD. IT shows it really fast, then shows nothing but zeros for about 3-5 seconds with no sign of the HSTD. The HSTD does eventually come back. In other words, it's wonky, and not as a typical plasma or LED set up would display.

Jim

1 month later
    #64 6 years ago

Any updates on this? I haven't heard boo since I received the email.

Thanks,

Jim

#70 6 years ago
    Quoted from HHaase:

Shoot me a pm so I can get you a return label. Need your address and phone number.

PM sent

Thanks,

Jim

2 months later
    #80 6 years ago

FWIW, here are some vids of the LCD hooked up to a Sys11 board with bowler ROMs installed. Until Sys11 games are supported, this may be a dirty alternative to testing Sys11 MPUs.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jeXg9yhkwMCI1XoE3

Jim

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Gott_Lieb.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/beta-testers-needed-at-siegecraft-gamplan-and-wms-system-3-9?tu=Gott_Lieb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.