Ok, I'll have to admit, these two projects have been a huge thing for me, in a good way. We're talking ground-shaking changes for the business. I'm sitting here with a big smile as I type out this post. You all have been very patient with it all, so let me give some updates here on both of them with the current status, and how it's affecting me here, and how it affects you guys.
1. Bench displays:
I am still looking into the code for what might be causing that system-9 issue, and whatever it takes to rectify that for customers who need that feature, I'll make sure it gets done. In the meantime, full production will be starting in today and ramping up over the next few days. All the parts are here, boards are here with a proper paste stencil, and I'm just cleaning up the programmer to make it more user friendly. First unit is built and in testing now. I'll be updating the website in the next day or so, once they're ready for general sales.
This is part 1 off a huge shift for my business, going to a micro-controller based product. It opens up a lot of doors.
I've needed to develop methods and tooling for handling the code. Rather than kludge it together I've worked to make it efficient for the current scale.
Just slapping the boards together and kicking them out the door I could have done already. But I wanted to streamline it as much as I could.
Better production methods make better product, and I didn't want to dig myself into too deep a customer service hole right from the start.
I'll have some photos tonight or tomorrow showing some of the behind-the-scenes work I've been doing.
Either way, they'll be ready to place orders in a day or two, and shipping very soon afterward.
2. Gameplan LDU boards.
Haven't posted much here, mostly handing the infrastructure for producing this and similar boards. I'm going to be harassing my beta tester to see what's up, and getting more beta boards built here soon. I'll be honest, getting these boards to work will be the easy part. The tough part is going to be production and logistics. There's an exponential increase in parts count here. I cannot build these in-house at production levels with the equipment I currently have. So that's where I've been putting my effort the past couple of months.
Next week, though, I WILL have that needed equipment. I just ordered a brand-new pick and place machine. This should be a lot quicker and easier to bring on-line than doing the AVR programming. I've been programming, maintaining, and operating placement machines for the past 5 years as my career. So we're right in my wheelhouse with this equipment upgrade. Again, HUGE deal for the business. It may be an entry level machine, only a few grand, but it's still a quantum shift in how I'll be building boards. Lots of thru-put improvement, which I badly need right now. Keeping up has been a big struggle the past year or so.
So maybe end of the year I'll be ready for production on these, assuming not much design work is needed other than dimensional changes.