5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 75 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by videorob
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

4-1 UV.jpg
    IMG_0888.JPG
    20140615_165216.jpg
    20140615_165232.jpg
    image.jpg
    CoinTaker.JPG
    Batgirl_05.jpg

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

Title says it all.. Where do you all get your LED bulbs from for the best price.

Thanks

#2 5 years ago

Look in the market place here on pinside, several are listed and have deals going.

#3 5 years ago

Comet bulk packs 300 bulbs, you choose sizes & colors $78 or so. Free shipping over $100. Art is great to deal with too..

#4 5 years ago

I was "born and raised" a Cointaker boy, and they are absolutely amazing. With that said, I recently had to order from a competitor because I wanted to overnight the bulbs (CT doesn't have options for shipping on the online ordering, you have to call I believe and it was a Sunday) so I ordered from Comet. Ordered from them based on price and reviews I recalled on here. I'm pretty old school- service is king to me and I am loyal as a pit bull. One shot, and Comet nabbed me. Art is friggin' amazing. Price is just the icing on the cake- .50 a bulb less in many cases (or 50 bucks per 100 - adds up). I have always been with CT due to the service, selection, familiarity and QUALITY of the product. Never cared that others might be cheaper, that's important, but not even top 5 in most of our "reasons for loyalty", I would guess. Anyway, ordered a good bit from Art- saved a TON and loved the quality of the bulb. Was able to change my order to overnight online (ease), and package arrived next day... WOW, neat, organized, sorted, labeled top quality bulbs. Immediately side by side tested a few colored, non-ghosting preemos on my id4- they are exactly the same brightness and effect as bulbs from other company if not better. At .50 cheaper a bulb, hmmm... Holy crap, what's this?? To my surprise, still in the shipping box, I have no less than 8 styles (a 555 and a 44 of each sample type or equivalent if different bulb type)- freeeeee saaammmmples!!! Who doesn't love free samples???? Seriously, who doesn't get just a little giddy when they get an unexpected treat?? Anyway, not just because of the "me me me" aspect of the free stuff, I think samples are ingenious. Especially in pinball- I NEVER order any latest, greatest bulbs until I have seen them in person (so I can decide what uses they suit me for). Art sent me samples of stuff I had seen on his site, but wouldn't order because I hadn't seen them in person yet (i.e. optimus max or quasars etc) was very curious about- love when new styles of lights come out. Now I can see them in person and I will start "working them in" on my next order. Ingenious and underutilized strategy in today's retail market. Anyway, I am a Comet man now, based on service, availability, reliability, familiarity AND now price!!! And that shall be my recommendation from here forward! One random chance, and he made it count- spanked one outta the park and stole me from my preferred vendor. Comet rocks, thanks Art!!

Batgirl_05.jpg

#5 5 years ago

Yep Ive been using art since I got into the hobby 5 months ago and he has been the most helpful individual anyone could ask for .also the price and quality of everything is always great , ive never had anything wrong or bad yet

#6 5 years ago

I buy only Comet LEDs... I've spent more than I care to think of with Art lol

#7 5 years ago

Hmmm...I have been loyal to Cointaker too but sometimes I don't get an order for a week and as the other poster said, I don't think there is a way for faster shipping. And if we run out, a game may have to sit a few extra days. And that much price difference from Comet? We put leds in almost every pin we sell so I guess we are going to have to check them out for our next order...better prices and faster shipping....thanks for the info. I do have to say that Cointakers service has always been good though....feel bad jumping ship but Comet clearly wants business and frankly that is how you get it! We will be contacting them.

#8 5 years ago

What are peoples feelings on pinballlife.com?

#9 5 years ago

I got most of my first set of LEDs from PBL. They sell the "Ablaze" brand. I then needed brighter frosted ones and tried CoinTaker and Pinball bulbs out. Then I ended up wanting to test out comet, and found they have the best value by far (though PBL comes really close with the non-ghosting SMD ones they recently added, but I have not tried them personally)

The problem with the single LED Ablaze's is they are not rectified. This means you have a 50/50 shot of putting in a wedge backwards, or in rare rare cases a bayonet may have had wiring installed wrong and wouldn't work.

But worse, on AC (GI) circuits, the Ablaze's have a small distinct 60 hz flicker in the since they do not have rectification of the signal. The Comets on the other hand are cheaper (26 cents each in bulk), fully rectified and actually in all frosted colors I tested were *slightly* brighter than the Ablaze. (See my recent posts for some side by side comparisons)

I will no longer buy the Ablaze singles from PBL. Some of their other ones may be worthwhile but I cannot comment on them. For smd frosted, the PinballBulbs ones work great or the dual mini smd from Cointaker, I haven't tried the Comet versions of those yet myself.

One unique thing about the Ablaze ones: Their warm whites that I picked up a year ago all had a pinkish hue to them. They did not look good in clear or yellow inserts, however they were the perfect look for amber, light orange or darker orange inserts. I have since replaced them in clear and yellow inserts with Comet warm whites that have a very close to incandescent yellow look. (Pics of these on my previous posts). For that reason I'm purposely 'saving' my extra pink warm white Ablaze ones for special uses, but the Comets will get more use in most cases.

#10 5 years ago

I've tried them all and used them all,
    and I only buy and use Comet Pinball LEDs now...
    http://www.cometpinball.com

#11 5 years ago

Thanks everyone...

#12 5 years ago

I got lucky early on in that one of the first pins I bought was from a guy who did some testing for Art/Comet. He spoke highly of the bulbs, so I gave them a try the first time I used LEDs and was very pleased. Went to York and Allentown and saw what Cointaker and the others had to offer, and didn't see any real difference between theirs and Comet's, other than Cointaker had a much larger, but more confusing, array of choices that were much more expensive. Cointaker does sells some LEDs in sizes that Art doesn't sell yet, but as Comet continues to roll along I don't think that will always be the case.

I will also say, that the second time I ordered from Art, I screwed up on-line and placed the order twice, unbeknownst to me. Art recognized this as a possible error, called my house and talked to me, corrected the order and refunded my credit card. After that, I knew I wouldn't be ordering from anyone else.

And finally, Art also sends candy in your shipping box! If a few free Jelly Bellies don't bring a smile to your face, you're inner child has left the premises!!!

#13 5 years ago

There's Several Vendor's suppy-n Led's , but the Best is from " Cointaker " I've been w/ CoinTaker going on 5 year's and I'm Not lOOk-n any Further .. Even their name is Catchy ,,, " Cointaker "

Great Customer Service , Luv'd by Stern & Chris & Melissa are Alway's at the Pin show's etc ,,,,,,,,,,

http://shop.cointaker.com/

@ 4:30 minutes in the video B-lo is All Ya need 2 know

CoinTaker.JPG

#14 5 years ago

Comet is the best place.

I have tried a few other places lately and think i will be sticking with art from now on. My most recent batch of premiums from another vendor had about 10% duds and the tops twist off with almost no pressure.

The bulbs I have gotten from comet have been good quality and the price is GREAT!

#15 5 years ago

Honestly, you can't go wrong with either. Both cointaker and comet are great products, just different. I really believe it is personal preference with either. Also think the ablaze are very nice....I love their blue ones...maybe he best representation of the blue color out there...when I need blue I go ablaze.

Personally, I like ablaze for backglass illumination. Not crazy bright and they seem to "spread" the light better. That said I use comet in my bonebusters and they look great too.

I prefer comet for under inserts, nice and bright and focus the light in a smaller area so colors don't bleed into other inserts. Again, I have almost all ablaze LEDs from pinball life in my rollergames and I absolutely love the lighting.

In closing, use any product to upgrade your lighting, you won't be disappointed. I'd buy a little from each, install them in different areas and see what your cup of tea is.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from paulywalnuts23:

What are peoples feelings on pinballlife.com?

I love them. LEDs are super cheap and get the job done just fine for me. Ablaze 1's work well in 90% of the applications I wanted to use them in and they are $.39 each before a quantity discount. If you need flex LEDs or brighter ones, they have those too and they are inexpensive as well. I have always received my orders in 1 day too, so the shipping couldn't be any faster for me. I'm happy, I have tried others, but I have no reason to go anywhere else now.

#17 5 years ago

If you are looking for a set of LEds for a machine, this site has fair prices, with cheap postage.
    FYI
    http://www.pinballcenter.eu/cms/front_content.php?changelang=2

Take advantage of the strong USD.

#18 5 years ago

I hadnt bought many LED's but pretty well satisfied with what I got from NiftyLED. prices were good, shipping was fast-inexpensive, nice bulbs came with a convenient changing tray. the #44-47 double warm whites were exactly what I was hoping for to drop into a couple old solid state machines, a good bit brighter than the incandescents but not overboard. for seeing others comments Comet might be the better deal, I'll have to look to their site too when..

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Comet is the best place.
    I have tried a few other places lately and think i will be sticking with art from now on. My most recent batch of premiums from another vendor had about 10% duds and the tops twist off with almost no pressure.
    The bulbs I have gotten from comet have been good quality and the price is GREAT!

Art's op-max and quasar bulbs are quite sensational.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

but the Best is from " Cointaker " I've been w/ CoinTaker going on 5 year's and I'm Not lOOk-n any Further

I'm behind in my reading but I thought you were done with CT after IM? Glad you guys worked it out.

I've used PBL, Cointaker, BCS (remember them) and a friend shopped a game out for me using pinballbulbs.com that turned out really nice and affordable. All are solid choices, depends what you want. Comet (Art) is an awesome pinsider and I plan on giving him a go shortly. Interested in his product but more want to show my support to a newer entry.

#21 5 years ago

Ive used coin taker for a while now, id be interested in trying some samples out of comet......... like too see the difference.

#22 5 years ago

I've bought from everyone and been satisfied. The main players are all super solid.

But Art and Comet are the best. Best selection and pricing bar none and Art puts his heart and soul into it like nobody else. **Art, I owe you some pictures...I'll get to it!

PBL is my overall go-to for "stuff", and I usually pick up a few LEDs when I order from them.

#23 5 years ago

As many of the responses here, I've also tried many online stores and here are my findings, chronologically, for what it's worth:
    - Pinball life (Ablaze): Low prices for bulbs is the main attraction here, but the non-ghosting bulbs are not as bright as competitors, most of the lower prices are for GI/backlight type bulbs-not for inserts on most machines
    - Pinball Bulbs: Good bulbs, competitive pricing, good average brightness, but the main feature here are their pinball specific LED kits--the kits are really fantastic with lots of lighting extras, not just simply GI and insert replacements
    - Cointaker: Competitive pricing to higher than average depending on the type of bulb, the most variety and the best quality overall, brightness depends on the bulb type with a large range due to all the choices available, has the most experience and knowledge
    - Comet: Competitive pricing with good bulbs, good variety, good to above average brightness,up and coming

Overall:
    - All four online LEDs stores have great service, with response time depending on whether you're catching them at the proper time/day, as sometimes they are going to and from shows, etc...
    - Quality of the LEDs electronically and the bulb build is the key to the higher pricing and are the key differential amongst these four (and other) LED providers.
    - Here's the order of the quality of LEDs bulbs, according to my experience from putting LEDs in over 12 pinball machines;
    1. Cointaker
    2. Comet
    3. PinballBulbs
    4. Pinball Life (Ablaze)

#24 5 years ago

My first experience with LED's was ablaze (maybe 06?) within a year I was losing LEDs, or having failures, my next was cointaker and this was before premiums, super brights, and non ghosting ever existed. Coin takers were really the best. First game I totally decked out was the Spider-man I bought new and my issues then were the LEDs had polarity, and the would come lose.....ie fall out.

Now LEDs have completely changed, much larger selection, much better design, and they stay in much better, and failures are limited. I still like to buy kits from cointaker, but I also buy ablaze from pinball life. Though I purchased 1500 bulbs from pinball life a year and a half ago, so I have been sitting good on supply. But I still have bought a few kits this years from cointaker.

I have also noticed over the last couple years a lot of LED companies have surfaced. I have not had a chance to try them out. I tend to stick with what I like. For whatever reason I am a loyal guy. That said, with all of the people mentioning comet, I might give them a try here soon, so thanks for the info!

#25 5 years ago

Lots of Great New Products arriving this week through next....Get Ready!

#27 5 years ago

Comet.... Go Art.

#28 5 years ago

Pinball bulbs for kits, comet for unique solutions.

#29 5 years ago

What about Titan? At $0.38 their frosted LEDs are the cheapest I have seen of any vendor and to me look the best from the photos. Plus bulk discounts make them even cheaper. Also, they are as tall as incandescents.

image.jpg

#30 5 years ago

On my location I use Comet LEDs and Pinballbulbs.com for kits if I needed. You can the live feed of the machines on my website. www.eastsidepinball.com

FishTales and Demo Man have Pinballbulbs Kit with some tweaks, the rest are done with comet LEDs.

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from BestShot31:

- Pinball Bulbs: Good bulbs, competitive pricing, good average brightness, but the main feature here are their pinball specific LED kits--the kits are really fantastic with lots of lighting extras, not just simply GI and insert replacements

I did this for SM, looks very good.

Has anyone done Tron with the kit from pinball bulbs?

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

What about Titan? At $0.38 their frosted LEDs are the cheapest I have seen of any vendor and to me look the best from the photos. Plus bulk discounts make them even cheaper. Also, they are as tall as incandescents.

image.jpg 8 KB

I bought some warm white, frosted, bayonet from titan with the idea of reducing the electrical load by doing backglass bulbs with LEDs. The warm white ones all worked 100/100 i tried. There was some inconsistency in the warm/coolness of the LED, but behind a BG it is not noticeable. Not sure if the inconsistency was from the frosted cap or the LED itself. I am satisfied and the price is right, I think 29 cents at 100+.

I got some other colors from titan to play with, i dont have many other manufacturers LEDs around to compare too though.

as far as cheapest.
    http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?fsb=y&IndexArea=product_en&CatId=&SearchText=pinball+led

I am going to get some samples. With some creative emailing to the china alibaba suppliers, you may just get them to tell you who they supply bulbs for. We'll see how it works out, im not holding breath, but since i might buy a bunch, it may be worth my time.

#33 5 years ago

I've bought Ablaze, Cointaker, and Pinballbulbs.

Ablaze is (or at the time was) the cheapest, Cointaker has the best GI bulbs I've encountered (I use a mix of the warm white 2LED and retros,) and Pinballbulbs seem to have the best and best value-for-money LEDs for inserts.

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Lots of Great New Products arriving this week through next....Get Ready!

My cart has $100 in it right now...but I'm waiting for ice blue!

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

image.jpg 8 KB

Won't this Titan bullet shape concentrate the light into a tight focused circle, as opposed to dispersing the light! Fine for "spot" light application but not for 360 degree light throw.

#36 5 years ago

I don't believe best and cheapest go together when buying LED bulbs. When I started out, I ordered cheap ones, and now I have a bagful that I will never use.

So then I switched to Cointaker and have been satisfied ever since. Not the cheapest, but with pinside discount codes, they aren't overly expensive either.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Won't this Titan bullet shape concentrate the light into a tight focused circle, as opposed to dispersing the light! Fine for "spot" light application but not for 360 degree light throw.

titan warm frosted bayonet.

20140615_165216.jpg
    20140615_165232.jpg

#38 5 years ago

I have been buying directly from china in smaller quantities for a little over a year. I feel like the local led drug dealer because in am always bringing bags of LEDs to local league nights and tournaments. If you are good with the limited selection of colors and style, its going to be tough to beat these prices- http://wisconsinpinball.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=84

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I did this for SM, looks very good.
    Has anyone done Tron with the kit from pinball bulbs?

Did the PinballBulbs SM kit come with the undercab LED strip lighting too?

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

My cart has $100 in it right now...but I'm waiting for ice blue!

sorry those wont be in for about 4-6 weeks...The request was made only 4-5 weeks ago, and we prototyped and sold out, so they are on order.

#41 5 years ago

I used to buy cointaker and they are very good to work with but then came Comet. Art is great to work with and has the best prices on brighter bulbs and his selection is huge. Art is always adding to his line and ships Fast. I get my bulbs in 2 days and always have an extra sample of new bulbs. I will only order from Comet in the future.I have also ordered from pinball life and pinball bulbs and they are pretty good. I only see these big specials since Comet came on the scene. Where were these specials before Comets low pricing right out of the gate ?

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I have been buying directly from china in smaller quantities for a little over a year. I feel like the local led drug dealer because in am always bringing bags of LEDs to local league nights and tournaments. If you are good with the limited selection of colors and style, its going to be tough to beat these prices- http://wisconsinpinball.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=84

I have these in a game I bought from Tim and they are nice. More than bright enough for my eyes.

#44 5 years ago

Comet is my Dapper Dan.

Pomade Vendor: I can get the part from Bristol. It'll take two weeks, here's your pomade.
    Ulysses Everett McGill: Two weeks? That don't do me no good.
    Pomade Vendor: Nearest Ford auto man's Bristol.
    Ulysses Everett McGill: Hold on, I don't want this pomade. I want Dapper Dan.
    Pomade Vendor: I don't carry Dapper Dan, I carry Fop.
    Ulysses Everett McGill: Well, I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
    Pomade Vendor: Watch your language, young feller, this is a public market. Now if you want Dapper Dan, I can order it for you, have it in a couple of weeks.
    Ulysses Everett McGill: Well, ain't this place a geographical oddity. Two weeks from everywhere!

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from wolfy:

I used to buy cointaker and they are very good to work with but then came Comet. Art is great to work with and has the best prices on brighter bulbs and his selection is huge. Art is always adding to his line and ships Fast. I get my bulbs in 2 days and always have an extra sample of new bulbs. I will only order from Comet in the future.I have also ordered from pinball life and pinball bulbs and they are pretty good. I only see these big specials since Comet came on the scene. Where were these specials before Comets low pricing right out of the gate ?

I agree... And I wasn't gonna say it, but what the hell... My go to bulb is the premium non-ghosting 2 smd led bulb... Comet has the EXACT same bulb as CT ... .60 cheaper PER BULB.... and that's before bulk discount... CT=1.59, Comet=- .99... EXACT same bulb- I waited until I tested it to say anything... and yes, I am a very loyal guy too- never thought Id leave CT, and it makes me feel bad to jump ship on CT now, but yeah.... 60 bucks more for every 100 bulbs from CT- I don't feel so bad now.... Ive been severely overpaying for years... Ive bought 1000's of bulbs (600 bucks MORE per 1000 bulbs)... I actually kinda feel taken advantage of now... And a week ago, they were the led gods to me... Things change.

#46 5 years ago

I used 99.8% Comet lighting in my Shadow, just a couple left-over bulbs from other suppliers in the mix. I have to say I'm pretty happy with the service, quality and pricing from Comet, and don't see the need to check prices amongst the other suppliers anymore. Thanks Art!

IMG_0888.JPG
    #47 5 years ago

Damn, that looks nice! I hope mine finishes up that well!

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I think i found that same supplier on Alibaba. We'll see how the samples work out.

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from RonB:

I used 99.8% Comet lighting in my Shadow, just a couple left-over bulbs from other suppliers in the mix. I have to say I'm pretty happy with the service, quality and pricing from Comet, and don't see the need to check prices amongst the other suppliers anymore. Thanks Art!

IMG_0888.JPG 278 KB

Great bulb selection and way to light up that PF!

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

image.jpg 8 KB

Thanks for the heads up Crash! I've never heard of these guys before and look forward to trying their product. How would you say these compare brightnesswise to CT's dual frosted bulbs? Perhaps somebody could post a side by side comparison picture for us.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 49.00
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    € 197.00
    Displays
    PINBALLSP
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    £ 45.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 20.00
    Various Novelties
    GC Pinball
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 10.95
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 8.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Pinball Haus
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 45.00
    There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside