20180402_181600 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
54002!OLD-32944_d (resized).jpg
IMG_8221 (resized).JPG

#1 5 years ago

We've all heard the term (apparently coined by Pat Lawlor) about Pinball. Its one of the defining characteristics of Pinball that separate it from other games.

Which table, in your opinion has the best world under glass?

In my opinion, World under Glass describes a cabinet and playfield which when combined with great art, good theme-integration and interesting moving mechanics, makes it seem like a self-contained world exists in the table. For example, in Addams Family you start modes by shooting Uncle Fester's chair, not the "scoop". Thing grabs your ball and places it in a few part of the mansion, not the "magnet" taking the ball into the "subway" etc etc.

I know there was a previous thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-world-under-glass but I feel now with Deadpool this topic is going to get brought up again?

I don't have a poll in mind as there are too many games to choose from!

In my mind the following games are great for world under glass: WOZ, TZ, TAF, JM, JD, DM, TWD, LOTR, Deadpool, TRLE, DI, IMDN, Popeye, IJ, FH and surprisingly even TNA.

What do you think? In my mind, mirror blades, side art, back panel graphics/animations and toys really creates this experience along with interactive light shows.

#2 5 years ago

Ughhhhhhhhh

#3 5 years ago

Ghostbusters really achieved this, not sure any Sterns have done so since. And yeah, Funhouse rocks this for sure. Both are in my collection, mainly for this reason...

#4 5 years ago

Really, what ever you like. Very up to the individual. I’m just glad there is this discussion. A few years ago, there were only a couple making pins, now...exploding. Good times for pin! Rock on Wayne!

#5 5 years ago

Mike Munvee's Tiny Town Train

LTG : )

#6 5 years ago

If I understand the term correctly, I think I would say Medieval Madness. Not only does it have a little fantasy world under the glass, but the use of the ball seems so "right". You are literally bombarding a castle, and the trolls etc, as if you are catapulting all you've got at it.

#7 5 years ago

Whitewater

IMG_8221 (resized).JPGIMG_8221 (resized).JPG
#8 5 years ago

guys, please post your immersion rating for each game when you post.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from JediPimp:

We've all heard the term (apparently coined by Pat Lawlor) about Pinball. Its one of the defining characteristics of Pinball that separate it from other games.
In my opinion, World under Glass describes a cabinet and playfield which when combined with great art, good theme-integration and interesting moving mechanics, makes it seem like a self-contained world exists in the table. For example, in Addams Family you start modes by shooting Uncle Fester's chair, not the "scoop". Thing grabs your ball and places it in a few part of the mansion, not the "magnet" taking the ball into the "subway" etc etc.
I know there was a previous thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-world-under-glass but I feel now with Deadpool this topic is going to get brought up again?
In my mind the following games are great for world under glass: WOZ, TZ, TAF, JM, JD, DM, TWD, LOTR, Deadpool, TRLE, DI, IMDN, Popeye, IJ, FH and surprisingly even TNA.
What do you think? In my mind, mirror blades, side art, back panel graphics/animations and toys really creates this experience along with interactive light shows.

WoZ and Indiana Jones are probably the best examples. Ghostbusters did a great job of capturing the world, too. The others have good points, but they're not really a "world" under glass. More like a mix tape or a collection of vignettes.

#10 5 years ago

Hard to beat the original...

54002!OLD-32944_d (resized).jpg54002!OLD-32944_d (resized).jpg
#11 5 years ago

Batman 66

#12 5 years ago

TZ and WOZ in my book....

#13 5 years ago

stewie's mini pinball in family guy..... World within a world.. under glass....

#14 5 years ago

for me the stern ones are GB and TSPP possibly playboy as well even sopranos gets a look in.... IMDN? op really? there isn't even a toy on that game leave alone a world to compare. great art and great game but music pins don't tend to have a world under glass feel to me.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

for me the stern ones are GB and TSPP possibly playboy as well even sopranos gets a look in.... IMDN? op really? there isn't even a toy on that game leave alone a world to compare. great art and great game but music pins don't tend to have a world under glass feel to me.

Yeah I see what you mean about IMDN. The music pins are hard to do for this I guess. I guess with IMDN I was thinking it immerses you in the Iron Maiden world really well.

Maybe I don't really know what world under glass means haha! Maybe pinball is more like a world above glass!

#16 5 years ago

Fire and Blackwater! Amazing with good lighting!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#17 5 years ago

Total Nuclear Annihilation!!!

I don't know...I'm just trolling

#18 5 years ago

WCS, I always like the full theme integration (artwork, music, sounds, ..) on that one.

#19 5 years ago

I think WOZ is the ultimate world under glass. Nothing really compares to how elaborate and immersive that pin truly is.

#20 5 years ago

Some less loved games : Flintstones and Gilligan's Island

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballdork:

Some less loved games : Flintstones and Gilligan's Island

That rotating thing in the left top took up too much space on Gilligan's, and the lower PF was too open, preventing it from really being a good world under glass.

#22 5 years ago
20180402_181600 (resized).jpg20180402_181600 (resized).jpg
#23 5 years ago

In order for me:
WOZ and immersion is a 10 (this game makes you feel like you are in the movie)
Star Trek and immersion is a 9 (this game makes you feel like your in a real Klingon battle)
GB and immersion is an 8
Flintstones and immersion is an 6
Fire and immersion is a 3

#24 5 years ago

Woz (close thread).

#26 5 years ago

IMDN because it tells me so.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from JediPimp:

Poor guy opens up a thread topic he finds interesting and you heathons downvote him. Haha SHAME!

#28 5 years ago

Lots of good examples on here. I always felt Haunted House does a good job of that too.

#29 5 years ago

Wh20....only thing missing is a miniature train set

#30 5 years ago

Krull. Because only way to play it is to watch a video of someone else playing it and pretending you're playing it. When they get to the lower PF, you're looking into the glass screen of the LCD into the glass over the PF and then through the lenticular lens of the lower PF, it's a world under glass under a world under glass under a world under glass. It's like reading the sentences in Dune, so it's also the closest we'll ever get to a pin with that theme as well.

#31 5 years ago

It's an interesting question and debate about exactly what "world under glass" means. I'd say it is definitely subjective and everyone is going to have a slightly different definition. I guess for me, it is about how much the physical aspects of the game pull me into the theme.

Immersion is a factor, but not the only part of it. For example I find Star Wars to be very immersive, and it feels like I am a part of the films when I am playing. However, that is all because of the code and brilliant use of the audio / video assets. There really isn't much physical which pulls me into the world if you stripped the code away.

Spider-Man on the other hand...that I would call a world under glass. I am physically fighting the villains, each in a slightly different way, even without the code. The software enhances it, but doesn't create it, if that makes sense. Plus things like the shape of the ramps and overall flow of the shots make it feel like you really are Spidey swinging through NYC. Iron Man is very similar in this regard, even with how "stripped down" the playfield is. There is no question that you are physically fighting those bad guys.

I love the Haunted House answer above by Honch. That is a perfect example. The "code" from that era is simple, and really has nothing to do with the theme (other than music/sound of course). But the playfield quite literally IS a Haunted House, complete with multiple floors, hidden passageways, trap doors, etc. This is a perfect example of "world under glass".

I may get some flack for this one, but I'd call Avengers a pretty good example as well. You have Hulk which you physically fight and he not only fights back, but also wreaks havoc by actually "destroying" the bridge/ramp. Plus spinning the Tesseract, and Loki physically locking the orbs bring a lot of the world together. Sure, the art could have really helped build a better world, but I think it's a decent example.

X-Men is another that brings the world to life physically, especially with Magneto's magnet usage, Ice Man creating an ice path, and Nightcrawler popping up out of nowhere. Add the software which uses lighting to add a lot of immersion and mood to different modes (especially Storm!) and it definitely fits my definition.

I think Batman '66 and GoT are two that ALMOST get it right, but really need the software to bring it together. Batman with the turntable mech brings a lot of the world into a physical form. GoT has a freaking dragon which flaps it's wings and fights back (pro at least). The LE even does a pretty good job making the upper playfield into a castle. But I would say both of these games do not really transform into a "world" until you add in the software. Then Batman comes alive with the video/audio and GoT comes alive with things like the Winter is Coming lighting putting you smack into a blizzard.

America's Most Haunted is a good one with a ghost you actually battle, door to knock on/open, creepy elevator, etc. It brings the world to life on the playfield.

Jersey Jack seems to have a knack for it as well. WoZ, DI, and POTC all definitely bring their worlds to life physically on the playfield. I would also say most of JPOP and Lawlor games have at least some level of "world under glass" to them. Even Lawlor's less loved titles like RCT and CSI still bring their world to life physically.

#32 5 years ago

Comet is like a miniature amusement park under glass.

#33 5 years ago

The Simpsons Pinball Party for me. Every character imaginable for the art with call outs from the actual actors. The garage and couch shot along with the cooling towers for the pop bumpers makes it an A+ world under glass for me

#34 5 years ago

Star Trek the Next Generation

#35 5 years ago

Big Hurt

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Poor guy opens up a thread topic he finds interesting and you heathons downvote him. Haha SHAME!

Haha, no worries downvotes do not worry me, i'd rather learn something in the process.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

It's an interesting question and debate about exactly what "world under glass" means. I'd say it is definitely subjective and everyone is going to have a slightly different definition. I guess for me, it is about how much the physical aspects of the game pull me into the theme.
Immersion is a factor, but not the only part of it. For example I find Star Wars to be very immersive, and it feels like I am a part of the films when I am playing. However, that is all because of the code and brilliant use of the audio / video assets. There really isn't much physical which pulls me into the world if you stripped the code away.
Spider-Man on the other hand...that I would call a world under glass. I am physically fighting the villains, each in a slightly different way, even without the code. The software enhances it, but doesn't create it, if that makes sense. Plus things like the shape of the ramps and overall flow of the shots make it feel like you really are Spidey swinging through NYC. Iron Man is very similar in this regard, even with how "stripped down" the playfield is. There is no question that you are physically fighting those bad guys.
I love the Haunted House answer above by Honch. That is a perfect example. The "code" from that era is simple, and really has nothing to do with the theme (other than music/sound of course). But the playfield quite literally IS a Haunted House, complete with multiple floors, hidden passageways, trap doors, etc. This is a perfect example of "world under glass".
I may get some flack for this one, but I'd call Avengers a pretty good example as well. You have Hulk which you physically fight and he not only fights back, but also wreaks havoc by actually "destroying" the bridge/ramp. Plus spinning the Tesseract, and Loki physically locking the orbs bring a lot of the world together. Sure, the art could have really helped build a better world, but I think it's a decent example.
X-Men is another that brings the world to life physically, especially with Magneto's magnet usage, Ice Man creating an ice path, and Nightcrawler popping up out of nowhere. Add the software which uses lighting to add a lot of immersion and mood to different modes (especially Storm!) and it definitely fits my definition.
I think Batman '66 and GoT are two that ALMOST get it right, but really need the software to bring it together. Batman with the turntable mech brings a lot of the world into a physical form. GoT has a freaking dragon which flaps it's wings and fights back (pro at least). The LE even does a pretty good job making the upper playfield into a castle. But I would say both of these games do not really transform into a "world" until you add in the software. Then Batman comes alive with the video/audio and GoT comes alive with things like the Winter is Coming lighting putting you smack into a blizzard.
America's Most Haunted is a good one with a ghost you actually battle, door to knock on/open, creepy elevator, etc. It brings the world to life on the playfield.
Jersey Jack seems to have a knack for it as well. WoZ, DI, and POTC all definitely bring their worlds to life physically on the playfield. I would also say most of JPOP and Lawlor games have at least some level of "world under glass" to them. Even Lawlor's less loved titles like RCT and CSI still bring their world to life physically.

Agree with this 100%, Haunted House is very simple is code but the playfield is literally a Haunted House! Stuff like this I would love to see come back. Imagine if GOT had a playfield with areas representing King's Landing, or Dragonstone, or Winterfell, the Wall etc etc with battles taking place at specific areas.

A man can dream...

#38 5 years ago

I for the life of me cant understand why some people hate it when someone says “world under glass”, i mean WTF guys? Pinball machines are beautiful pieces of art and it’s important to create that feeling. Its part of the art package imo. I mean if you are playing a Jurassic park game dont you want it to look like Jurassic park? If you are playing TWD, dont you want to see zombies and things that remind you of the show? What do you guys want, a blank piece of wood with no artwork and no theme at all? I want killer gameplay, killer rules, killer artwork, and killer toys and environment also. I want the game to draw me into another world and to take me out of the stressful world that i have to live in everyday. Thats what playing pinball is all about isnt it? You world under glass haters need to lighten up a bit for real!

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I for the life of me cant understand why some people hate it when someone says “world under glass”, i mean WTF guys? Pinball machines are beautiful pieces of art and it’s important to create that feeling. Its part of the art package imo. I mean if you are playing a Jurassic park game dont you want it to look like Jurassic park? If you are playing TWD, dont you want to see zombies and things that remind you of the show? What do you guys want, a blank piece of wood with no artwork and no theme at all? I want killer gameplay, killer rules, killer artwork, and killer toys and environment also. I want the game to draw me into another world and to take me out of the stressful world that i have to live in everyday. Thats what playing pinball is all about isnt it? You world under glass haters need to lighten up a bit for real!

Sometimes, we take for granted what we have.

Today, for the first time in 11 months, I was able to turn on 5 games at once, all in in a new room, since the hurricane.
The room glowed with lights, and each was its own world, it was like seeing the Christmas Tree on Christmas morning
as a 5 year old, with Fresh Snow on the ground. I just stared at the Art in front of me, like I never saw them before!
Sometimes, just as sweet as playing them!

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Today, for the first time in 11 months, I was able to turn on 5 games at once, all in in a new room, since the hurricane.
The room glowed with lights, and each was its own world, it was like seeing the Christmas Tree on Christmas morning
as a 5 year old, with Fresh Snow on the ground. I just stared at the Art in front of me, like I never saw them before!

I agree 100%. They are nice just to look at and enjoy them. I love turning all of my games on and looking at them. I would still like to hear peoples explanations as to why they hate the term world under glass so much. That makes no sense at all.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I've done that myself a fewl times over the years. Just turn them on and have a few drinks in the glow of the works of art that pinball machimes truly are.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com
Shooter rods
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods
Pinball Machine
$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser
Pinball Machine
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
Machine - For Sale
Grovetown, GA
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
Led
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
Pinball Machine
$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Electronics
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
New Cumberland, PA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 150.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop
Displays
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-world-under-glass-1?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.