Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by gweempose
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Best Wizard mode”

• Spiderman 9 votes
      13%
    • TAF 3 votes
      4%
    • TSPP 13 votes
      19%
    • TZ 16 votes
      24%
    • TOM 0 votes
    • STTNG 4 votes
      6%
    • LOTR 8 votes
      12%
    • AFM 6 votes
      9%
    • Shadow 9 votes
      13%

(68 votes)

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
    #2 12 years ago

Remove TAF and TOM. Replace with IJ at least.

#4 12 years ago

cv, ij, afm

#5 12 years ago

Was thinking IJ was good but similar to Shadow, both are about making a certain amount of shots culminating in a score of 1 billion. The only thing is that imo Shadow sounds better.

#8 12 years ago

TOM?!? Hahahaha. Gotta be the most dissapointing WzM (to start let alone to complete) of any games that era. I find more pleasure having a drop target bank reset upon completion.

#9 12 years ago

Big fan of Johnny Mnemonic's wizard mode here.

#10 12 years ago

You cant have such a poll without including CV. That has a 3-stage challenge wizard mode that's the most in depth I've ever seen. Even TOTAN wizard mode is pretty good and in depth.

#12 12 years ago

I chose TZ because it is not only exciting, it's attainable.

CV gets honorable mention for being most innovative.

TSPP is the most exhausting. Different yes, but exhausting.

#13 12 years ago
    #14 12 years ago

TZ than SM a close second.
    Can't vote for TSPP..... never got close the wizard mode, and I own one.
    Doug

#15 12 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

You cant have such a poll without including CV. That has a 3-stage challenge wizard mode that's the most in depth I've ever seen. Even TOTAN wizard mode is pretty good and in depth.

You haven't played the latest version of SM then. TOTAN didnt make the list as it can be manipulated and is not challenging at all

1 week later
    #17 12 years ago
    Quoted from RGR:

markmon said:You cant have such a poll without including CV. That has a 3-stage challenge wizard mode that's the most in depth I've ever seen. Even TOTAN wizard mode is pretty good and in depth.

You haven't played the latest version of SM then. TOTAN didnt make the list as it can be manipulated and is not challenging at all

I own and love spiderman. Just not good enough to get there I guess. How can you manipulate TOTAN?

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

RGR said:markmon said:You cant have such a poll without including CV. That has a 3-stage challenge wizard mode that's the most in depth I've ever seen. Even TOTAN wizard mode is pretty good and in depth.
    I own and love spiderman. Just not good enough to get there I guess. How can you manipulate TOTAN?

Bowen showed in the TOTAN video on pinball.org. Basically if you have the Harem mode running just before the wizard mode, then you start the wiz mode you can have it so that you never beat the Genie and score points from Harem. If you manage to keep the Genie bottle constantly between you and the Genie then you can go on for a long time scoring points from Harem. This was the reason why TOTAN has never been in a PAPA/ IFPA tournament...

#20 12 years ago

When somebody reaches the wizard mode on TSPP, that's an achievement. All other modes aren't even close.

#21 12 years ago

I actually got to Pinball Wizard on Tommy last week. Very cool wizard mode!

I don't understand why TZ is leading this poll. Again, LITZ is a *timed* mode. It lasts exactly the same amount of time every time you play it. I don't see how a timed wizard mode can be considered all that great.

Also, was TOM put on this list as a joke?

#22 12 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

I actually got to Pinball Wizard on Tommy last week. Very cool wizard mode!
    I don't understand why TZ is leading this poll. Again, LITZ is a *timed* mode. It lasts exactly the same amount of time every time you play it. I don't see how a timed wizard mode can be considered all that great.

I think LITZ may be the only wizard mode many people have played and thus the votes for it. I kinda suck so, a pin has to be in my collection for a while for me to get to the wizard and as a result, I haven't seen many so, guess what? I voted for TZ. You guys that are pin aces and rotate a bunch of titles in and out of your collections will have a more meaningful vote here.

#23 12 years ago
    Quoted from RawleyD:

Big fan of Johnny Mnemonic's wizard mode here.

Agreed. WCS and JY also have great wizard modes.
    The poll is a rather random selection.

Quoted from RGR:

markmon said: TOTAN didnt make the list as it can be manipulated and is not challenging at all

TOTAN does have a glaring scoring exploit but it requires high level play to execute successfully. It simply isn't an issue for most players.
    And if someone doesn't find it challenging at all, they should really change how their machine is set up. It's not hard to make any game harder.

#24 12 years ago

Well you cant change the TOTAN wiz mode problem, but yeah most people would not find it to be an issue

#25 12 years ago

I would say the TZ wizard mode beginning sounds and dmd animation is the most exciting but I can't say it is the best because it only lasts 30 seconds. TSPP Alien Invasion to me is just so incredibly challenging it gets my vote. And thats just the first wizard mode.

#27 12 years ago

You can vote for Shadow since the Wiz modes are essentially the same

#28 12 years ago

I don't know Shadow, so I'll take your word for it and vote for that

Quoted from RGR:

You can vote for Shadow since the Wiz modes are essentially the same

#29 12 years ago

+1 for Alien Invasion

#30 12 years ago

I like Crime Wave in Dirty Harry. Is that strange?

#31 12 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

I like Crime Wave in Dirty Harry. Is that strange?

WTF! Man that thing is tough. I have got it probably 3 times, in limited play, and I have yet to chalk up 1 bad guy! Just need more time to make a plan, but the side ramp is a tough shot on my machine.

#32 12 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Rascal_H said:I like Crime Wave in Dirty Harry. Is that strange?
    WTF! Man that thing is tough. I have got it probably 3 times, in limited play, and I have yet to chalk up 1 bad guy! Just need more time to make a plan, but the side ramp is a tough shot on my machine.

The right side ramp? Tough for me too. It comes back at me all the time. Always been a minor annoyance. I have an easier time with the 3rd flipper ramp.

Sometimes I cheat a little by stalling the ball out out during modes so I don't drain trying to get big points every mode.

#33 12 years ago

Yeah DH is a fun game thats for sure. Beautiful flowing ramps and it feels good hitting the left ramp with the gun. I would like to own one of those one day... lol at meathead when you shoot again

#34 12 years ago

No I meant the 3rd flipper ramp is super tough for me....hmmm you find it the opposite; interesting.
    Yeah the left ramp for me the ball goes 3/4 of the way up then back down again quite a bit. I just got the machine and stashed it at my brothers house so I haven't had time to get under the hood and see what is going on. Could be a dirty flipper sleeve or the wrong solenoid down there for all i know. It's balanced left & right and at 6.5 degrees so seems to be set up correctly.

#35 12 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

No I meant the 3rd flipper ramp is super tough for me....hmmm you find it the opposite; interesting.
    Yeah the left ramp for me the ball goes 3/4 of the way up then back down again quite a bit. I just got the machine and stashed it at my brothers house so I haven't had time to get under the hood and see what is going on. Could be a dirty flipper sleeve or the wrong solenoid down there for all i know. It's balanced left & right and at 6.5 degrees so seems to be set up correctly.

Yeah, sounds like it might need a flipper rebuild.

I'll have to play around with my right ramp a bit more to see what is giving me hops.

Alright, I've derailed enough..hah.

I also like Demolition Time in Demolition Man.

#36 12 years ago
    Quoted from astrodan88:

TOTAN does have a glaring scoring exploit but it requires high level play to execute successfully. It simply isn't an issue for most players.

I've been trying to use Bowen's Harem multiball strategy ever since I watched his tutorial, and I've yet to actually pull it off. It's easier said than done. Either that, or I just suck!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-wizard-mode-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.