9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by guymontag451
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

ss_cows.jpg

#1 9 years ago

Just joined Pinside a couple weeks ago and wanted to get some of your guys opinions on what are some of the best wizard modes? Of the games i've had in the past I'd say I was impressed with TZ, IJ & I really like the 4 stage final of CV. I've also played a friends MM but never long enough to get to the final battle.

#2 9 years ago

springfield mystery spot in TSPP.

#3 9 years ago

Tales of the Arabian Knights is my personal favourite, I like CV too.

I have never gotten to the final battle on a MM yet. But its hard to find one to play as well, I have only played it at shows and on xbox so far.

I also like South Parks wizard mode (spooky vision), not too hard but still challenging enough for such a simple game (but I own it, so I'm biased). Kinda like Taxi's only more shots to each character.

Johnny Mnemonic's powerdown mode is also a really cool wizard mode.

#4 9 years ago

Twilight zone i would say has the best Wizard mode and Lord of the rings i hear has a great wizard mode.

#5 9 years ago

I love the lord of the rings (mini) wizard mode when you destroy the ring. I have gotten there and back again once as well and that was really cool. Valinor is a killer wizard mode because i may never get to it.

#6 9 years ago

"Springfield mystery spot in TSPP ..."

I've never reached it myself, but it's definitely one of the coolest wizard modes I have heard of.

#7 9 years ago

Springfield Mystery Spot is awesome, but it's only the 2nd best wizard mode in TSPP. Alien Invasion is King of all wizard modes. There's no flailing allowed, only ball control and precise shooting on both playfields. Lose a ball after the ball saver goes out and you have to start over again. SMS is rather easy in comparison.

#8 9 years ago

I don't know about best but I definitely know one of the hardest. Street Fighter II has you beat all 12 characters then you get to wizard mode and have to beat all 12 characters again except on the current ball only. If you drain then you have start from the very begining just like pressing start. I have gotten 11 characters 3 times in wizard(champion) mode but haven't gotten all 12 for the 500 million yet. Someday

#9 9 years ago

LOTR, STTNG, TOTAN all fun and exciting - haven't made it to valinor mode, someday.

Im really enjoying games with a lot of depth/rules/complexity lately - especially with mini wiz modes and impossible to achieve modes... I think I need a TSPP, SM & CV....LOL

#10 9 years ago

You should ask Robert Gagno of BC's Vancouver Regional Pinball Association about wizard modes, I think he's done more of them than anyone else, bar KME.
    Myself, for nearly forty years of playing, I have yet to achieve a Wizard Mode.

#11 9 years ago

The one with the most dramatic build-up for me is "Join the Cirquis" in Cirquis Voltaire. A true extravaganza, working through multi-tiered progress.

The hardest to get to, is a toss up between Lord Of The Rings's "Valinor" or The Simpsons Pinball Party's "Super Secret Wizard Mode".

The wizard mode with the best audio & production values is "Monsters of Rock" in Monster Bash. They have an entire full-length song recorded just for this mode.

The wizard mode with the best lighting effects for me is "Power Down" in Johnny Mnemonic. Game lighting is effected by gameplay, during the wizard mode, as you try to feed power to the dying pinball machine.

The wizard mode with the best software integration is "Final Frontier" in Star Trek: The Next Generation. Artifact collecting during the normal game, in order to effect the wizard mode scoring is STILL an absolute genius idea; kudos to Dwight Sullivan and Steve Ritchie.

The easiest to understand wizard mode (for novices particulary) is probably the "Stiff-O-Meter" in Scared Stiff. Hit the lit shot, then hammer the crate.

The wizard mode that gives the player the biggest adrenaline rush; "Lost in the Zone" in Twilight Zone. Non-stop multiball on a timer! Pure madness! Jackpot explosion inspired by the same crazy-loud one from Addams Family. Lot of times, when you have friends on a TZ, you might hear "Ooooooooh sh*t, here it comes!!!" right before hell breaks loose.

The best reward for completing a wizard mode, I would have to go with "Battle for the Kingdom" in Medieval Madness.

King of Payne: "NOOOOO! You have destroyed my castles, but you will never destroy me!"
    Merlin: "Well done! You have freed the people, and brought joy upon the land. Congratulations! You are the new king!"
    People of the land: "Yeaaaaaaaaaa!" *cheering* (little farmers dancing & celebrating)

#12 9 years ago

Monstets of Rock is awesome, happened to get it tonight. : ) JM Power Down is sweet, I haven't gotten there yet, but have had to sit there, while waiting my turn, and watch my buddy get it numerous times on his JM.

1 month later
    #13 9 years ago

What machine do you consider as the first one having a true wizard mode? And what defines a wizard mode?

I wonder if it is Whirlwind. The Super celler bonus is very similar to what became Tour de mansion and Lost in the zone in later Lawlor games. Including a proper introduction having speech, light and display effects, with the machine pausing the ball.

BTW for the best ever I nod CV and TZ. Magical. Frenzy. Beautiful.

#14 9 years ago

i'm with Hawkeye (you beat me to it) as my favourite is Powerdown on JM. It is very dramatic, Steve Ritchies voice announces POWERDOWN and various sections of the playfield light up in turn. Then multiball starts and you have to keep hitting all parts of the playfield to keep it lit and scoring. If you don't hit areas every few seconds they will go dark until the playfield is black and MB has finished. Awsome!

I also like TZ's lost in the zone because of the great intro. Very exciting.

Other favourites are TFTC because the music is so great and Frankenstein because of the amazing graphics and sounds. Scared Stiff is nice too.

#15 9 years ago

Of the ones I've played (not many) I like Springfield Mystery Spot. Alien Invasion is more challenging for sure but SMS has a better potential for scoring if you can stack it with couch, Itchy and Scratchy and/ pretzel multiballs. I managed to do that once on a location machine with a loose tilt and a crap lower right flipper (the majority of right hand shots to the garage limped down the left orbit and spotted a Cletus Kid) and pulled over 100M in one ball. And turning your hands around looks ridiculous but is a total blast.

I've played LITZ in TZ and its quite a lot of fun also. Power down mode on JM sounds pretty cool but I've never had an opportunity to play that game unfortunately.

#16 9 years ago

The one with the most dramatic build-up for me is "Join the Cirquis" in Cirquis Voltaire. A true extravaganza, working through multi-tiered progress.

The hardest to get to, is a toss up between Lord of the Rings's "Valinor" or The Simpsons Pinball Party's "Super Secret Wizard Mode".

The wizard mode with the best audio & production values is "Monsters of Rock" in Monster Bash. They have an entire full-length song recorded just for this mode.

The wizard mode with the best lighting effects for me is "Power Down" in Johnny Mnemonic. Game lighting is effected by gameplay, during the wizard mode, as you try to feed power to the dying pinball machine.

The wizard mode with the best software integration is "Final Frontier" in Star Trek: The Next Generation. Artifact collecting during the normal game, in order to effect the wizard mode scoring is STILL an absolute genius idea; kudos to Dwight Sullivan and Steve Ritchie.

The easiest to understand wizard mode (for novices particulary) is probably the "Stiff-O-Meter" in Scared Stiff. Hit the lit shot, then hammer the crate.

The wizard mode that gives the player the biggest adrenaline rush; "Lost in the Zone" in Twilight Zone. Non-stop multiball on a timer! Pure madness! Jackpot explosion inspired by the same crazy-loud one from Addams Family. Lot of times, when you have friends on a TZ, you might hear "Ooooooooh sh*t, here it comes!!!" right before hell breaks loose.

The best reward for completing a wizard mode, I would have to go with "Battle for the Kingdom" in Medieval Madness.

King of Payne: "NOOOOO! You have destroyed my castles, but you will never destroy me!"
    Merlin: "Well done! You have freed the people, and brought joy upon the land. Congratulations! You are the new king!"
    People of the land: "Yeaaaaaaaaaa!" *cheering* (little farmers dancing & celebrating)

Great post!

Add AFM - the feeling being ruler of the universe

Not that I have done it.......yet!

#17 9 years ago

I really like the beginning of Final Frontier where it adds up all your artifacts. Cool stuff! I've yet to get to the wizard mode on Tommy. That game just continues to kick my a**!

#18 9 years ago

Can't comment on these two as I have never owned eaither game or got the wiz mode

The hardest to get to, is a toss up between Lord of the Rings's "Valinor" or The Simpsons Pinball Party's "Super Secret Wizard Mode".

The ones I am most pleased at having achieved are probably the Frankenstein Wizard more or the Spider wizard mode in Scared Stiff.

#19 9 years ago

Hit the lit shot, then hammer the crate.

Hahaha, drbond. I thought you were Brokedad for a second...
    Scared Stiff "Spider Mania" is a great one as long as your machine has been updated for it.
    Don't forget the MOO!

ss_cows.jpg

#20 9 years ago

I personally think TZ has the worst wizard mode. It's just a free for all. I prefer wizard modes like IJ or The Shadow where you can actually beat the mode using skill, not just rack up points. Even Super Hero mode on spider man is better, you can't really beat it, but you have to aim and pick your shots because it gets to a point where only a couple shots are lit

However, I don't think any wizard modes can touch TSPP. Alien Invasion is a pretty complex game inside a game and it's not even the the main wizard mode in the game.

#21 9 years ago

I personally think TZ has the worst wizard mode. It's just a free for all. I prefer wizard modes like IJ or The Shadow where you can actually beat the mode using skill, not just rack up points ...

I agree that there are a lot better wizard modes from a strategy/skill standpoint. In the case of LITZ, it's more the presentation than the actual mode itself that is so cool. The opening animation sequence is just awesome, and I also love how it shows you the score breakdown as it's loading the balls back into the gumball machine.

#22 9 years ago

he one with the most dramatic build-up for me is "Join the Cirquis" in Cirquis Voltaire. A true extravaganza, working through multi-tiered progress.

I agree also very good assesment.
    Nice Drbond

#23 9 years ago

Come on, guys. What pinball was the first to have a "wizard mode"?

(Refer to my earlier posting)

#24 9 years ago

Hmm, hard to say. I mean the term wizard mode is really a very broad definition used by pinheads to describe the ultimate objective in a game anyway. And when you start saying that games have more than one, the definition becomes even broader. My favorite that I have achieved so far is on White Water.

#25 9 years ago

Come on, guys. What pinball was the first to have a "wizard mode"?

(Refer to my earlier posting)

Was it BK2K?

#26 9 years ago

Hmm, hard to say. I mean the term wizard mode is really a very broad definition used by pinheads to describe the ultimate objective in a game anyway.

Exactly, so put a few words on why you take this "early" pinball event to be a wizard mode.

I say, that if LITZ and TDM is wizard modes, so is Celler bonus on Whirlwind, as it is virtually the same thing.

#27 9 years ago

I think nimblepin is right, BK2k had the king's ransom mode and was released in '89. Whirlwind has the cellar bonus, and was released in '90. Both good examples of the modern "wizard mode" as we've come to know it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 265.00
    $ 15.95
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 99.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 18.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 62.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 30.40
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 6.00
    Lighting - Led
    Arcade Upkeep
    € 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 75.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside