(Topic ID: 244677)

Best Wishes to Sam Harvey - update (Aug 19 2023)

By pinwiztom

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 73 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by pinagogo
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

LORD 87 (resized).jpg
    SWL (resized).jpg
    There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

Just got off the phone with Sam Harvey,
    who has been going thru some tough times health wise of late.
    Sam has been a long time pioneer in the pinball collecting hobby
    and has taught me most everything I know about pinball,
    as he is super knowledgeable about the history of pinball with binders and binders full
    of pinball info and trivia and vast knowledge of what classic games are
    the best players and how best to play them.
    He is definitely a character and always at the ready with a new joke.
    Anyway he has been in and out of hospital and rehab facilities these past several months.
    He is having trouble with mobility and other health issues, related to his diabetes
    and his arthritic knees which will eventually need replacement.
    And to make matters worse last night it was discovered that he probably has kidney stones.
    He is feeling better today, and in fairly good spirits, hopefully his stones will pass easily.
    His mobility is improving with rehab, and use of a walker,
    but he really needs the knee surgery replacement,
    hopefully his doctors and insurance will get that approved, otherwise
    he may never be able to return home.
    On the brighter side he has been able to lose over 60 lbs in the last 6 months or so
    which will make it easier on his knees.
    Anyway just wanted to let those interested, to wish him well and say a few prayers.

#2 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

Just got off the phone with Sam Harvey,
    who has been going thru some tough times health wise of late.
    Sam has been a long time pioneer in the pinball collecting hobby
    and has taught me most everything I know about pinball,
    as he is super knowledgeable about the history of pinball with binders and binders full
    of pinball info and trivia and vast knowledge of what classic games are
    the best players and how best to play them.
    He is definitely a character and always at the ready with a new joke.
    Anyway he has been in and out of hospital and rehab facilities these past several months.
    He is having trouble with mobility and other health issues, related to his diabetes
    and his arthritic knees which will eventually need replacement.
    And to make matters worse last night it was discovered that he probably has kidney stones.
    He is feeling better today, and in fairly good spirits, hopefully his stones will pass easily.
    His mobility is improving with rehab, and use of a walker,
    but he really needs the knee surgery replacement,
    hopefully his doctors and insurance will get that approved, otherwise
    he may never be able to return home.
    On the brighter side he has been able to lose over 60 lbs in the last 6 months or so
    which will make it easier on his knees.
    Anyway just wanted to let those interested, to wish him well and say a few prayers.

Sam’s a super nice guy and such a great fixture in the hobby. I remember several shared elevator rides at Expo over the years, and he always had a joke or some great piece of pinball trivia to give out.

I hope you start feeling better soon, Sam!

#3 4 years ago

I have been worried about Sam and hadn't talked to him recently. Tom please pass on well wishes to Sam...
    Hope you are feeling better Sam!! Will be thinking of you!

Phoebe

#4 4 years ago

I have talked to sam several times his spirits seem very good . yes he needs new knees . I hope he gets back hope

#5 4 years ago

Hey Mike, just watched your American Pickers episode online, Sam said he is looking forward to seeing it,
    if you know next when it might be on cable again, let Sam know, hope his rehab place carries it on his TV in his room.
    Bet you those rows of file cabinets with pinball paperwork that you showed the pickers were sorted and organized by Sam many times over the years.
    He does have a cell phone now but may take several attempts to get thru to him.
    Phoebe PM me if you want that number, as his home landline voice mailbox is full and beside he has not been home in weeks.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

He does have a cell phone now but may take several attempts to get thru to him.

LOL!! thanks Tom Mike actually sent me his cell #... my response was...wait What??? Sam has a cell phone!! Next you'll be telling me he is online and has E-mail!! LOL!!

Phoebe

#7 4 years ago

I would LOVE to meet Sam. Seemed like one of the coolest guys on SWL. Pass along my best wishes on his recovery...

#8 4 years ago

Get well soon Sam. You will be in my prayers tonight.

#9 4 years ago

I look for Sam at every show I attend. There's only one Sam and I wish him all the best that life has to offer. I just love the depths of his passion for our hobby and he just kills it when interviewed in the "Special When Lit" documentary.

Get well Sam.

~Steveo

SWL (resized).jpgSWL (resized).jpg
    #10 4 years ago

Here is a youtube link where Sam explains how to play WMS 4 Roses, (one of his favorite EM pins)

Be advised that he does swear and curse while playing the game.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

Here is a youtube link where Sam explains how to play WMS 4 Roses, (one of his favorite EM pins)

I never have figured out what he thinks he is accomplishing with that bizarre plunge shot.

#12 4 years ago

Had the pleasure of meeting Sam once at a Chicago Pinball Expo. After finding out I was an artist he took me around the show floor and showed me many of his favorite pinball art on game that we're present. Seemed like such an amiable guy. Wishing you well, Sam, and thanks for sharing your interest in pinball with little ole' me, a complete stranger.

Sincerely,
    Ryan Claytor

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

I never have figured out what he thinks he is accomplishing with that bizarre plunge shot.

Just adding some panache?

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

"THANK YOU VERY MUCH!"

Oh my god, that was incredible. Just brightened up my morning.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

Thanks for playing my video, Tom. It's one of the ones that puts a smile on my face. I think I have one with him explaining Buckaroo too.
    I just saw Sammy this week, and he is in reasonably good spirits.

-Pat

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

The commentary during gameplay was classic! I like his shooter action, almost being a conductor of the orchestra, but then the reaction when the ball does not hit the top rollover and the gentle politeness 'thank you' of a machine robbing him of his just desserts.

Thks for posting the vid very enjoyable.

#17 4 years ago

Sam is the man! First time I ever met him was expo and we talked for 3 hours straight after I gave him the chair out of my booth. I learned more about pinball in that 3 hours than ever before. Solid dude.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

Here is a youtube link where Sam...

And worse than that, says the name of the Lord in vain. Not good.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

And worse than that, says the name of the Lord in vain. Not good.

Hopefully not the Bally Wulff machine. You can Bank on Bally.
    Bally Wulff; First Class Games.

LORD 87 (resized).jpgLORD 87 (resized).jpg
    #20 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Hopefully not the Bally Wulff machine. You can Bank on Bally.
    Bally Wulff; First Class Games.[quoted image]

Nothing wrong with that.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

When I was younger, I wanted to really smack the ball up through the shooter lane. The way I would do it is to slam the palm of my hand against the plunger rod, or creating a fist and banging it that way. After a while, they started making the plungers with the ends that came to a sharper tip. I had to figure out a way to accomplish the same thing.

The way you do it is the way Sammy is doing it in the video. Put your thumb on the end of the plunger, and push it along with letting it go, and it really makes the ball fly.

It's just his way of getting the plunger shot down to land exactly where he wants it to. There were also some games in which the plunger spring was too weak, and that is a way to have the ball go up ramps as well.

-Pat

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinFixin:

When I was younger, I wanted to really smack the ball up through the shooter lane. The way I would do it is to slam the palm of my hand against the plunger rod, or creating a fist and banging it that way. After a while, they started making the plungers with the ends that came to a sharper tip. I had to figure out a way to accomplish the same thing.
    The way you do it is the way Sammy is doing it in the video. Put your thumb on the end of the plunger, and push it along with letting it go, and it really makes the ball fly.
    It's just his way of getting the plunger shot down to land exactly where he wants it to. There were also some games in which the plunger spring was too weak, and that is a way to have the ball go up ramps as well.
    -Pat

Uh, ok.

#23 4 years ago

Feel better Sam.
    Your pin family is pulling for you.

2 months later
    #24 4 years ago

August 19th will be Sam's 72nd Birthday.
    He is still in rehab, awaiting approvals for knee surgery.
    When i called a few days ago he seemed in good spirits,
    but was growing impatient with all the time it is taking to get his surgery approved.

Happy Birthday Sam!!

1 month later
    #25 4 years ago

Got some good news from a close friend of Sam,
    that he has been approved for knee surgery replacement on one of his knees.
    Operation is to take place at the end of this month.
    If that goes well he may get approved to repair his other knee.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

Got some good news from a close friend of Sam,
    that he has been approved for knee surgery replacement on one of his knees.
    Operation is to take place at the end of this month.
    If that goes well he may get approved to repair his other knee.

Great to hear. Thanks for posting this.

1 week later
    #27 4 years ago

Apparently some cross signals or mixed messages about when/if Sam is actually approved for surgery.
    Sad to say no surgery yet.
    Apparently he needs to get some hormone levels under control first before surgery is approved
    otherwise he may be at risk for a stroke. So it is just a waiting game now.

#28 4 years ago

Two things about Sam Harvey that I will always love. Serial numbers and his funny, corny jokes!!! Get better Sam!!!

1 month later
    #29 4 years ago

Talked to Sam today.
    He was in good spirits and sounded good.
    The good news is that his blood work and hormone balances are now good to go
    for his knee surgery, approved, he is now just waiting to get it scheduled.
    Hopefully it will happen before the new year.
    It would make a great Xmas gift, if he can walk again.

1 month later
    #30 4 years ago

I’ve never met Sam but he is one of the most colorful, knowledgeable and genuine characters in SWL. Please tell him that many in the pinball community are rooting for him.

#31 4 years ago

I will be sure to tell him of your best wishes, next time I give him a call.
    No update on knee replacement surgery as far as I know,
    I will have to check in with him soon.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

Allows him to make that center lane with decent frequency; I've found a few games where I do the same thing.

2 months later
    #33 4 years ago

Any recent updates on Sam?

#34 4 years ago

I have not talked to him personally in a couple months, he does not tend to answer his cell phone and his voice mailbox has not been activated, but i have talked with a mutual friend who said he is doing OK, but unfortunately still no time scheduled yet for his badly needed knee operations.

1 month later
    #35 3 years ago

Finally got ahold of Sam by phone after weeks of trying, and talked with him for about 45 minutes.
    Kind of a good news bad news situation.
    Good News is that he is alive and seemed to be in good spirits, as good of spirit as Sam normally is.
    Voice seemed strong and he told me a few jokes.
    His weight has been holding fairly steady at 230-240 lbs after a 90-100 lb weight loss over the past year.
    The rehabilitation center where he has been staying for the past year, has been Covid-19 virus free.

Bad news is he has not been scheduled for his much needed knee operations
    (even before the moratorium on elective surgeries).
    Worse than that is he scheduled to be released back to his home by the end of the month.
    Normally one might think that is a good thing,
    but the fact that he is bedridden and can not take care of himself properly,
    will be a challenge for him to find in home nurse care when he finally does get home.
    Challenge both physically and monetarily.
    Fortunately his next door neighbor is a nurse and might be able to help get him set up.
    It is a bit more complicated (more details) than all what I have stated, but that is the gist of it.
    Wishing him well and I told him that people on pinside are also wishing him well.

3 weeks later
    #36 3 years ago

I was on a ZOOM pinball video chat call yesterday with Matt from the Pinball Ranch,
    Brad from Pin-a-GoGo and Pin-A-Lodi and Steve Ritchie of Stern Chicago.
    We were talking all things pinball and other topics.
    Steve had mentioned the new TMNT pin just announced by Stern and
    indicators are that it is initially selling very well, despite the economy aftermath from the virus.
    Anyway the subject of Sam Harvey came up and Matt mentioned
    that he talked with Sam's old neighbor nurse friend
    and she stated that Sam's house in Pomona is now equipped with a hospital bed
    and Sam was supposed to be released from the rehab center (on Tuesday)
    where he has been for nearly 2 yrs,
    but Sam refused to go (in part because he thinks someone of the staff has stolen cash out of his wallet
    and his cell phone is missing since about 2 weeks ago).
    Also I think he knows it is going to be tougher living at home.
    He is still unable to walk on his own (his knee operations sadly will likely never be approved,
    (in part due to Sam's stubborness of refusing to do his rehab excersizes).
    When they finally do get him moved back home,
    whatever Medi-Cal/MediCaid health nursing home inspection staff comes to see what Sam's needs will be,
    they will then determine what type of nursing care on daily basis he will need.
    I assume they are moving him out of the rehab center, because they need the bed space for others
    that need it and can use it, because Sam's is not using the rehab part of it.
    Wish him best.
    Hopefully he will soon be able to receive calls on his old phone landline
    (once he clears out his answer machine).
    Hopefully they will find his cell phone soon.
    Write him a letter (Sam is old school he does not have internet or email).

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

Awesome. I want a shirt that says "Jesus Christ, I dorked again." Hang in there, Sam.

1 month later
    #38 3 years ago

Sam is apparently still at the rehab center that he has been at for the past year,
    but it was just reported to me that he has tested positive for the Covid virus.
    No news regarding how serious his affliction is, but hoping he will be one of the lucky ones
    and come out fighting and lick the bugger.
    He is stubborn enough he can probably do it.

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

Sam is apparently still at the rehab center that he has been at for the past year,
    No news regarding how serious his affliction is, but hoping he will be one of the lucky ones

#40 3 years ago

Ah, geez. That’s not good news. Sam has already been through so much. I hope you’re right about his stubbornness fighting it off.
    Thanks for the update.

1 week later
    #41 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

Thanks for the update. Sending all the good vibes I can muster for Mr. Harvey!

4 weeks later
    #42 3 years ago

Just got off the phone with Sam.
    He will be 73 yrs old tomorrow (Aug19).
    He seemed to be in very good spirits (despite his situation) and in good health. (voice was strong)
    He survived covid (tested positive last month), had no or only mild symptoms.
    His neighbor in his rehab room also tested positive and survived also.
    We talked for about 50 minutes, once he gets going and talking pinball
    it is hard to get him to stop.
    Helped him with area codes for some on his phone list
    (like Wayne Neyens and Gordon Hasse);
    it appears that his paper phone list, cut off all the area codes,
    so if you have not heard from him in a while that may be the reason.

Joke he told me:
    There was an air flight getting ready to board and take off.
    The stewardess was asking for tickets,
    please show me your ticket, she says to everyone boarding.
    And a guy walks up in a trench coat and flashes the stewardess.
    Stewardess then says, you misunderstood me sir, I was asking for your ticket,
    not your stub.

You all be sure to wish Sam a Happy Birthday
    by telling that joke to the next person you meet.

cheers to all.
    I turned 65 yrs old yesterday.

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

He seemed to be in very good spirits (despite his situation) and in good health. (voice was strong)
    Joke he told me:
    not your stub.
    cheers to all.

LOL that joke is about five minutes older than dirt.

Congrats on the birthday though.

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you as well!!

Quoted from pinwiztom:

Good news!! I hope he continues to improve as best as is possible!! Thanks for the update about Sam!!

Phoebe

#45 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

Joke he told me:
    not your stub.
    cheers to all.

Happy birthday to you and Sam! I will be 68 next month. Where does the time go.........

1 week later
    #46 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

Joke he told me:
    not your stub.
    cheers to all.

Thank you for the update! Glad to hear he made it through and is in good spirits.

8 months later
    #47 2 years ago

pinwiztom - Did Sam ever get to leave rehab? I really hope he is doing well and can get to go home at some point, if he isn't home already. I can imagine he would rather be home tinkering with an old pin! Also hope you are doing well and I appreciate any update you can provide! Thanks.
    Yopp

#48 2 years ago

Sam is still in the rehab. And will probably spend the rest of his days there, as he is not likely to get approved for his knee surgery, he has been basically bedridden for over a year now. He survived covid.

#49 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

Sam is still in the rehab. And will probably spend the rest of his days there, as he is not likely to get approved for his knee surgery, he has been basically bedridden for over a year now. He survived covid.

Sorry to hear this news....

#50 2 years ago

Update:
    Sorry, but I had some old info about Sam's current status.

According to Matt Christiano
    "Sam has been home for at least 2-3 months. He has a hospital bed in his living room, and visiting nurses who come in 2x/day."

I still believe he is bedridden and has not had any knee operations.

There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-wishes-to-sam-harvey?hl=dyopp21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.