Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Boise_D
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2016-3-28_Spot_Bowler_shipping_2_(resized).jpg
    2016-3-28_Spot_Bowler_shipping_3_(resized).jpg
    2016-3-28_Melody_shipping_2_(resized).jpg
    sti_ship_1sm_(resized).jpg
    sti_ship_5sm_(resized).jpg
    sti_ship_2sm_(resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

Hi all,
    I'd like to buy an EM and have it shipped by NAVL. Any advice on how to prep it? I've only used NAVL twice before. Shipping worked okay, but they prepped those games with cardboard and blankets, and they folded down the backbox. The backbox on an EM comes off completely. Does anyone have any experience doing this? I suspect they would cardboard and wrap the body, but I don't know what they'd do with the backbox. I'd like to see both arrive with no damage. Should I ask the seller to do any specific prep? Thanks for any advice.

Dwayne

#2 7 years ago

I've shipped and received lots of EMs via NAVL (actually STI). Most have been with the backbox removed and legs off, but some have been shipped in one piece (backbox and legs attached). ALWAYS request blanket wrapping, but the quality of the effort will vary with the local firm that STI uses as I have received games in a wide range of wrapping condition. I'm fortunate in that the local STI shipper that picks up games that I sell does an excellent job of wrapping them. They have told me that they prefer to ship games in one piece, but I have had them ship older games, such as woodrails, broken down and then the components wrapped together into a single bundle.

The backglass is typically the most valuable element and I have typically requested sellers (as well as provided this service for buyers) of covering the backglass with styrofoam and heavy cardboard over the front of the backbox and then secured them with plastic wrap. STI's wrapping job is then done in addition to this.

#3 7 years ago

Here is what I did the one time I shipped by STI (Michelle).
    The games got there in good shape but one woodrail leg was cracked and could be repaired.

Alan

sti_ship_2sm_(resized).jpgsti_ship_2sm_(resized).jpg

sti_ship_5sm_(resized).jpgsti_ship_5sm_(resized).jpg

sti_ship_1sm_(resized).jpgsti_ship_1sm_(resized).jpg

#4 7 years ago

I got a pair of wedgeheads with heads and legs attached. They were nicely wrapped. They arrived fine from Illinois. The person that sent them is a well known EM person on here, and said they've never had trouble shipping wedgeheads that way.

I have sent some EM's out with the head down, cardboard between the backglass and cabinet glass, lots of plastic wrap and blankets. With legs on.

Some older machines I have had, the cabinet or legs were not as strong as would be ideal. With those, had I needed to ship them, I would have put them on a pallet.

#5 7 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I've decided to overpay for the pin (because I want it) and have it shipped. Fingers crossed it all goes well

#6 7 years ago

I do that somewhat regularly

It can be worth a few hundred more to get the actual pin you want. Enjoy!

#7 7 years ago

Thanks! You're local, come play!

#8 7 years ago

I have paid more to ship a game than what I paid for the game including one that's on it's way. So far I've had the best luck with the game set up on it's legs unless the guy goes to the trouble to build a wood crate.

Three games came once on a pallet and the legs that go with them never showed up and there was some cabinet damage on one of them.

Legs on, head on, and hopefully they will treat it like the fine piece of furniture it is. And so far they have.

#9 7 years ago

Here are some pics of a couple of games I sold recently that were shipped two different ways - the first fully assembled with legs on and the second totally disassembled, but with each component (cabinet, backbox, and legs set) individually wrapped and than wrapped all together as a single unit. My personal preference is disassembled, but as mentioned in my first post, as long as the structural integrity of the game's components are good, shipping in one piece should be fine with a quality wrapping job. The second game in the pics below was a rare woodrail so neither I nor the buyer wanted to risk it being transported with the legs on.

2016-3-28_Melody_shipping_2_(resized).jpg2016-3-28_Melody_shipping_2_(resized).jpg 2016-3-28_Spot_Bowler_shipping_2_(resized).jpg2016-3-28_Spot_Bowler_shipping_2_(resized).jpg2016-3-28_Spot_Bowler_shipping_3_(resized).jpg2016-3-28_Spot_Bowler_shipping_3_(resized).jpg

#10 7 years ago

I sent the check today. It helps to hear you EM nerds are as addicted as I am. Legs on head on? Any wiggle would put pressure on the bolts wouldn't it? STI is charging me $412 for shipping. I figured a year from now I won't miss the $$, but I would regret passing up my childhood game (see avatar). Now I wait... Maybe I'll watch another Clay video to pass the time.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from Boise_D:

Legs on head on? Any wiggle would put pressure on the bolts wouldn't it?

Legs on, head on is the way mine got picked up this AM. They were built to wiggle a bit. Some players shake them harder than they will get the whole trip here. Fingers crossed...

#12 7 years ago

Yes it seems strange to ship with legs on but it's the standard. Is that a Royal Flush? I was just telling these knuckle head the other day I'm almost done fixing mine up. What kind of shape is yours in...before shipping of course

#13 7 years ago

It looks to be in great shape. I've asked the seller to ship head off, but there's time to change that.
    The ad was here on Pinside. It's Pittsburgh to Boise.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/36985

#14 7 years ago

Nice! Now the long wait

People don't work on the weekends for delivery usually, at least when I got my STI delivery. So mine was like 15 miles away on a Friday and I got excited when it said delivery on Monday...Kept checking and that sucker didn't budge all weekend.

2 months later
    #15 7 years ago

So leave the head on with an EM? Is that the consentious? I will be using Michelle with Presicsion.

#16 7 years ago

Leave the head upright, machine fully intact. Machine needs to be at floor level. Call that number in Illinois, she'll do the arrangements. Just got an Atlantis in today.

#17 7 years ago

I shipped head off and it worked out well. My seller didn't really want to ship at first, but he did an excellent job of prepping it, similar to the pictures in this thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-way-to-ship-an-em-using-navl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.