(Topic ID: 308361)

Best way to save a playfield from getting worse ..

By hudrodguy

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

16426105074162592853221860026335 (resized).jpg
16426104411698657389167149888522 (resized).jpg
16426103562442215068702510529847 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Hello fellow flipper heads
I have owned a ss sinbad for over 30 years and have made appropriate upgrades over the decades (full plastic set, balls, niwumph m board, rotten dog ps, full set of colored cool led lights, general cleaning on a yearly basis) ... The playfield has moderate swirling scratches that I am hesitant to rub out in fear of removing the painted surface ...
Some of the inserts have started to sink in a bit ("pool" ?) in the bonus light strip ...
I have noticed certain areas starting to lose artwork from ballcontact and wondered what is the best way to stop this and prevent further damage ...
I have attached pics of areas of concern ...
Your opinions are greatfully appreciated ..
Thanks
Mark

16426103562442215068702510529847 (resized).jpg16426103562442215068702510529847 (resized).jpg16426104411698657389167149888522 (resized).jpg16426104411698657389167149888522 (resized).jpg16426105074162592853221860026335 (resized).jpg16426105074162592853221860026335 (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

Have you been waxing it? That would be step one...after that is insanity.

Playfield protector, restoration with clear coat, repro PF if exsist etc etc

Edit: just FYI, my 'insanity' statement was it can get to an insane level...not that its insane to want to get your machine in tip top shape

#3 2 years ago

Well this is always tough. Keep in mind the game is valuable to you….these can be found for relatively cheap given today’s market so it’s really how much time/money you want to put into it.

A good cleaning and coat of wax is the most important thing you can do as TheLaw said. You can try magic eraser and alcohol to see if you can get some of the ball swirl out but be careful because if you go too far you will remove paint. If the inserts are not affecting game play I would not mess with them. If they are sunken you can level them. If they are cupped you can also fill and level those. There are several threads for cleaning and playfield restoration with lots of tips on how to touch up playfields so I would check those out. You can search for a new playfield and do a swap is also another option. There are also a few people that do touch ups and clear coating but it can get expensive. You can quickly put more money into a game than what it’s worth but for many this is a hobby and they enjoy these kind of projects. Check out those other threads and you will find the help you are looking for.

#4 2 years ago

Every playfield is going to suffer this same fate one day.

I am currently working on restoring an EM playfield to be clear coated for the first time. It is a lot of work. And I mean a lot of prep if you want the best result. I’ve learned so much by following Vid’s guide.

I have previously touched up playfields with acrylic paints and wax frequently to protect the paint. This has worked fine for home use. And is also reversible if the paint touch up doesn’t match all that well.

But for my enjoyment pinball is a game of skill. Cupped inserts make it a game of chance due to random ball behavior.

It’s a rabbit hole.

#5 2 years ago

Ball swirls will come out using small pieces of Magic Eraser soaked in alcohol. Do a small area at a time. Watch for any color (art) on the sponge and stop if you see any. I did my Genie years ago and it came out great. Nothing else will remove deep swirls. Go slow and you'll be amazed at the results. You have some nice and bright yellow and orange paint under all those ball swirls.

Mylar is about all you can do for sinking inserts and wear areas. If balls aren't getting stuck on the inserts, wax is fine. Other than the nick by the 8000 insert, I'm not seeing any wear.

#6 2 years ago

Start with a good deep cleaning using novus 2 plastic polish & a good coat of wax. See what it looks like after a good clean/buffing.

If at that point you still feel it needs more improvement then options like magic eraser would be next. But that’s usually a step reserved for games with ball swirl much worse than yours.

Proceed with caution beyond using novus 2. Things like magic eraser are aggressive enough to cause damage.

#7 2 years ago

I always go for a playfield protector for Gottlieb System 1, 80s and EMs whenever they are available. The inserts are always sunken and if you play the game regularly the paint starts to flake off in places. I typically clean the playfield thoroughly, touch up all insert to wood edge circles with black paint to eliminate the white/grey lines which appear in the gap between these two materials and then install the protector. Once the protector is on you can play the game to your heart's content and the artwork is preserved forever. I also find the game stays much cleaner with a playfield protector because the clear coat and artwork is not being slowly chipped off by ball traffic.

https://www.playfield-protectors.com/Home/Details/Nsm2YEsJikegAx1-sKyQgw?catgoryid=22&name=Sindbad%20%7C%201978%20%7C%20Playfield%20Protector

While a game can look much better after magic eraser be aware you are eliminating the factory protective clear coat and it is super easy to go through the artwork too. Would only do that if I was planning to clear coat the playfield.

Have installed dozens of these protectors for my and my friend's games, they are a great solution for situations like this.

2 weeks later
#8 2 years ago
Quoted from hudrodguy:

Hello fellow flipper heads
I have owned a ss sinbad for over 30 years and have made appropriate upgrades over the decades (full plastic set, balls, niwumph m board, rotten dog ps, full set of colored cool led lights, general cleaning on a yearly basis) ... The playfield has moderate swirling scratches that I am hesitant to rub out in fear of removing the painted surface ...
Some of the inserts have started to sink in a bit ("pool" ?) in the bonus light strip ...
I have noticed certain areas starting to lose artwork from ballcontact and wondered what is the best way to stop this and prevent further damage ...
I have attached pics of areas of concern ...
Your opinions are greatfully appreciated ..
Thanks
Mark[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

These will protect the insert art while leveling them with the playfield, which helps preserve the playfield wood around the insert. Just another option to consider. If interested, my website sells them for $4.95 a pack. TheEMScoreKeeper.com

#9 2 years ago

Wait a second… what? Half of the inserts on Sinbad don’t have any artwork and the rest on that game looked fine. The artwork beginning to chip off is actually on the wood part of the PF.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 7.50
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-way-to-save-a-playfield-from-getting-worse- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.