Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

lens2.jpg
lens1.jpg
#1 8 years ago

My funhouse has an insert that is too high. What is the best way to fix this problem? What are the odds that other inserts need to be re-glued? Does the whole mylar need to taken out?

here are some pics.
lens1.jpglens1.jpg

lens2.jpglens2.jpg

#2 8 years ago

I did this fix, and then removed the mylar... Using a hair dryer, heat up the insert from top and bottom. Place a wooden block on top of the insert and press down until it is level with the playfield- if you use a block slightly larger than the insert, it will stop when it is flat with the playfield. If the insert isn't moving, heat it up some more. I did this on every clock insert, as all of mine were raised. I never applied new glue, but switched to led bulbs to avoid heat and the chance of them raising again, and mine have never budged.

#3 8 years ago

Personally I would glue them after adjusting as yxfguy said (use a c-clamp if you can't level them by hand). Vid's Ultimate Playfield Repair Guide gives into on the type of glue and prep.

#4 8 years ago

thanks! I just saw the link as someone posted to it. I guess I did not find it as I was searching for lens repair at the time and not insert repair.

So hair dryer is good enough, thats good to know. I was afraid it would take a heat gun. Looks like 11 o'clock might also be lifting (I took the pic through the playfield glass). After its fixed, the pin is going to get lots of LED's done to it. Going to look around for any mods too. this one has upgraded speakers and an etched funhouse lamp visor. I am sure there is a mod thread on here about funhouse.

#5 8 years ago

People are gonna hate this but my big guns lock insert At the top was raised and making the ball get stuck if you hit the shot too soft so i put a rag down and hammered that baby down using a nut driver, its been good ever since.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

People are gonna hate this but my Big Guns lock insert At the top was raised and making the ball get stuck if you hit the shot too soft so i put a rag down and hammered that baby down using a nut driver, its been good ever since.

I have done the same thing on my Dredd and LW3...Tommy too now that I think of it. I used a socket that was little smaller in diameter than the insert. Place a piece of cloth between it and the insert..tap tap all done. I think the key is to just baby tap with a hammer until it is flush. If you smack too hard you may break the insert and/or hit it too far down...I imagine it would.be more difficult to raise it hack up from the underside. Sooooo. Just be patient and baby tap. Even if it takes 30 baby taps per insert, at least nothing should get damaged.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

People are gonna hate this but my Big Guns lock insert At the top was raised and making the ball get stuck if you hit the shot too soft so i put a rag down and hammered that baby down using a nut driver, its been good ever since.

I won't hate on you, but that approach risks something going wrong. Better to use a c-clamp and do it the safe way.

There's a reason us old-timers give the advice we do; because we've had other techniques go the wrong way on us.

1 month later
#8 8 years ago

Just used to C clamp method on my funhouse followed up with some wood glue to hopefully keep the inserts down.

Was actually shocked this method worked so well. I did it with the playfield fully populated, it was doable, but not easy.

I just did not like the idea of violently beating on my game with a wood block and hammer.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 22.50
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Martin, CA
$ 29.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Norwalk, OH

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-way-to-repair-a-raised-insert-thats-under-mylar-on-funhouse-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.