Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by bigehrl
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Img42[1].jpg
    dental_picks.jpg
    hook_screwdriver.jpg
    Fuse_puller_002.jpg
    bussmannFusePuller.jpg
    21GD6B6FYCL_SL500_AA300_.jpg
    imgedward_scissorhands1.jpg
    fuse_puller.jpg
    #1 12 years ago

Every time I remove a fuse I'm afraid the glass will break. It hasn't happened to me yet, but still.
    Do you just stick a screwdriver under it and flip it up or is there a smarter way?

#2 12 years ago

You can buy a small plastic tool to remove fuses. I got one from Autozone when I had to replace a fuse in my wife's car.

#3 12 years ago

I use a simple wooden popsicle stick to pry mine loose. I don't think I'd use a screwdriver for fear of breaking glass as you stated. They do make fuse removers that are plastic as JWS64 said if you want one.

#4 12 years ago

I use an IC remover, and pull from one side, close to the metal end.

#5 12 years ago

Just get a fuse puller. No need to worry about getting anything in to pry in tight spaces. Add one to your next pinball/electronic order.

#6 12 years ago

Just get a fuse puller. No need to worry about getting anything in to pry in tight spaces. Add one to your next pinball/electronic order ...

+1

Less than three bucks. Well worth it.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=425&parent=0

fuse_puller.jpgfuse_puller.jpg

#7 12 years ago

The problem with the one pictured by gweempose is that they don't last very long. I bought one and had a fuse that was in there pretty tight and the plastic end just spread out while trying to pull it and it was ruined. Had to throw it away. They are very cheap plastic. Just saying . . .
    Mike

#8 12 years ago

I use a very small flat bladed screwdriver. I haven't broken a fuse with it yet.

#9 12 years ago

I use the same Bussman FP as gweem.
    Works like a charm!

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Less than three bucks. Well worth it.

Got mine at walmart w/ a few fuses i didn't need for something like $2.70...cheaper than the $3.50 plus shipping at most places online.

#11 12 years ago

I use my fingers. Yeah, need to get a fuse puller I guess.

#12 12 years ago

That- or upgrade your fingers!
    imgedward_scissorhands1.jpgimgedward_scissorhands1.jpg

Mystic 2.0...

#13 12 years ago

I actually have one of those yellow fusepullers but the wavy plastic plate under the fuses gets in the way.
    I will use the rest of the day to practice some more.

#14 12 years ago

Screwdriver works fine for me, never broken a fuse, people underestimate just how strong they are.

#15 12 years ago

Screwdriver here as well. Havent broken one yet either. Ive tried a puller similar to the one above but had the same problem with it spreading apart.

#16 12 years ago

I use this little number. Works like a charm.

21GD6B6FYCL_SL500_AA300_.jpg21GD6B6FYCL_SL500_AA300_.jpg

#17 12 years ago

Yea I have used pullers like the ones shown and they can break and I do not like the force I have to use pulling away from the board on tight fuses. The small flat head screwdriver has always worked for me. Just use leverage and they should pop out easy. Everyone finds their method that they feel comfortable with.

#18 12 years ago

I don't use the pliers end. That's for automotive fuses. I use the little curl on the other end. It wraps around the fuse glass, slide it to one end of the fuse and gently pull out. I doubt it will ever break, nor damage a fuse. But yeah, everyone likes what they like to use.

#19 12 years ago

I really don't like those little fuse pullers. Hard to grip and the thin plastic at the business end fails.

Bussmann makes a more robust version that I believe I picked up at Manard's.

Here's a link....cheap enough http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GAS3Q2

bussmannFusePuller.jpgbussmannFusePuller.jpg

#20 12 years ago

I use the green one too. I don't pull in the middle of the fuse, I pull toward one end (rather than in the middle of the fuse) so the end pops out. Less resistance that way.

1 year later
    #21 10 years ago

dang I spent $13 for my Fuse puller and $90 for my DMM at ACE... Amazon $5 and $50

#22 10 years ago

Dent puller and a tow strap

#23 10 years ago

with the power turned off first

#24 10 years ago

The problem with the one pictured by gweempose is that they don't last very long. I bought one and had a fuse that was in there pretty tight and the plastic end just spread out while trying to pull it and it was ruined. Had to throw it away. They are very cheap plastic. Just saying . . .
    Mike

Those things are junk and the screwdriver is a PIA and sometimes the wrong angle.
    I made this one up out of a scrap of stainless, pops the end right out.

Fuse_puller_002.jpgFuse_puller_002.jpg

#26 10 years ago

I have had very good luck with dental picks, you buy them in a set of four from places like Harbor Freight. I am sure a bunch of places online have them as well.

I take the one of the hook tools and can reach under and lift up on the metal end of a fuse, never touching the glass. It is nice because only one end will pop up and you can use your DMM to test the fuse without fully removing it.

BTW, the photo is not mine. I just grabbed the first one I found from a Google search.

dental_picks.jpgdental_picks.jpg

#27 10 years ago

Puller tool from pinrestore. Hook end goes under one end of the fuse, pops it right out. I used to use the yellow one but pulling on the glass part creeps me out.

Img42[1].jpgImg42[1].jpg

#28 10 years ago

The yellow ones suck! I take an 8" strip of painters tape, fold it in half or quarters length-wise, curl it with my finger, slide it under the fuse and pull both ends of the tape. Works great

Suppose I can get the better tool, but never had a problem..

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-way-to-remove-fuses and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.