Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Is everyone using rubbing alc. to remove flux residue after soldering? I used to use qtips dipped in alcohol but they get fibers stuck on the work quite often. Switched to a toothbrush - but it tends to splatter and you still need a way to clean up the working surface after.

Anyone have tips/suggestions? I'm resoldeting a new harness at the moment to everything on the bottom of a pf and don't want to splatter the new pf bottom with bits of residue...

#2 6 years ago

Isopropyl alcohol is a fine flux remover.

That said -- make sure you're using 91+% IPA, not the 70% stuff sold as "rubbing alcohol."

"Rubbing alcohol" commonly contains glycerin, which will make things worse.

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from Majdi:

Isopropyl alcohol is a fine flux remover.
    That said -- make sure you're using 91+% IPA, not the 70% stuff sold as "rubbing alcohol."
    "Rubbing alcohol" commonly contains glycerin, which will make things worse.

Good to know! I hadn't realized that

#4 6 years ago

Also -- anyone know why you should not use a plumbing flux for electronics work?

#5 6 years ago

I use naphtha, a toothbrush, and clean it over a sink. Just make sure it's a ventilated area, otherwise stick to alcohol.

#6 6 years ago

Ok -- so I did a little googling -- seems plumbing solder degrades wiring. Son of a bitch! I got paste wax by accident Sunday and have been using it for a good couple hours on socket connections. If I wipe all the residue off good- seems like it should still be ok for what I've done so far?

#7 6 years ago

As long as you clean it well.

I'm curious - how does the flux degrade the wire? I'll have to look that up - must be some kind of additives.

#8 6 years ago

When reworking old board use rosin core flux. With rosin flux based solder, do not use iso/rubbing alcohol for a couple reasons. First, take some iso and evaporate some on a piece of glass, mirror, or whatever. You will be left behind with some kind of powder. Minerals or whatever. Do the same with Naphtha.... nothing. Second, iso alcohol sucks as a solvent for rosin flux. Naphtha cuts it a lot better. Once rosin flux has cured (few days time after soldering) it is really hard to remove, so get it after you work it.

When soldering a new board. Use solder with water soluble flux. Then all you need is warm water and a toothbrush and they come out really nice. Hard water, finish with some solvent for a clean finish. Make sure to blow out IC sockets and solder unsealed dip switch banks after the main cleaning.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Also -- anyone know why you should not use a plumbing flux for electronics work?

Because plumbing flux contains ACID and will eat up your boards.

#11 6 years ago

Fluxes are acidic; plumbing flux is much stronger than rosin core, and in a situation where it can't be fully cleaned off, any leftover flux will corrode the joints quickly.

As for flux remover; check the MSDS; you'll find most are alcohol and a propellant and sometimes a stronger solvent like acetone. For instance, the product linked above:

http://store.caig.com/core/media/media.nl?id=1814&c=ACCT113328&h=8423ee57732536717256&whence=

I don't like to use acetone because some older parts are encapsulated in things that /do not/ protect them against it. They'll say they're plastic safe, but sooner or later you hit an old pot or something with it and watch them start to melt on you. IPA is not quite as "quick," but it's much safer for components.

#12 6 years ago

Thanks for all the info/tips guys! Water soluble sounds sweet - will have to get some of that. With stuff that's not portable like boards to a sink - how to keep from making a mess with a toothbrush and water or alcohol? I don't want to spatter this stuff all over the bottom of a new Playfield..

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Thanks for all the info/tips guys! Water soluble sounds sweet - will have to get some of that. With stuff that's not portable like boards to a sink - how to keep from making a mess with a toothbrush and water or alcohol? I don't want to spatter this stuff all over the bottom of a new Playfield..

I do it in a big sink. If I am using a solvent, It goes into a cup. If I am using hot water, i just keep the tap on.

#14 6 years ago

This is my personal favorite.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/CHEMTRONICS-ES835B-/20-1960

It is kind of expensive tho, and there is not a lot in the cans.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from maglar:

This is my personal favorite.
    http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/CHEMTRONICS-ES835B-/20-1960
    It is kind of expensive tho, and there is not a lot in the cans.

Chemical Composition: AcetoneHexaneCarbon Dioxide3-Methylpentane2,3-Dimethylbutane2,2-DimethylbutaneMethanol

sounds like hexane is the solvent used in chemtronics. i like naphtha because it does not stink.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-way-to-remove-flux and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.