(Topic ID: 37931)

Best way to remove a stripped screw from a metal post?

By phlflyer1

11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by phlflyer1
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0212.JPG
#1 11 years ago

Starting to shop a Cyclone that I recently acquired as my first pin.

It had some battery leakage on the main board that I am getting fixed thanks to the feedback on another thread that I posted here.

While the board is being fixed, I figured it would be a great time to strip the playfield down to replace the rubbers, some plastics, etc.

I wanted to change out the black sleeve on the post in the attached picture but found that the screw is stripped.

I searched some other threads here on pinside and saw some suggestions regarding screw extractor bits that you can use with a drill to pull the screw out.

Is that my best option for getting the stripped screw out of the metal post? Any other alternatives/suggestions?

IMG_0212.JPGIMG_0212.JPG

#2 11 years ago

Can you not just remove/replace the entire post from under the playefied? I've had success with vice grips in the past. Just tight-lock that thing on the sides of the screw and turn slowly.

#3 11 years ago

If the screw is "stripped" then chances are that the thread in the post itself is stuffed .

It should have a nut underneath the playfield ( or possibly screwed into the playfield with a timber screw thread ) .

I would remove the whole post and change the lot with a new one .

#4 11 years ago

if the screw wont come out at all, get a screw extractor, replace the whole post after you get it out for sure.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/VERMONT-AMERICAN-Screw-Extractor-Set-2LKN9?Pid=search

that is just an example, but they work great

#5 11 years ago

best way to use one is to drill a small starter hole in the screw, then use the extractor slowly to back the screw out.

#6 11 years ago

Take a razor blade, and score the rubber sleeve til it cuts off

Remove the screw using vice grips. They can grip the flange on the head of the screw.

If all else fails, take the lock nut off the bottom of the post, and tap it out of the playfield with a small hammer, then replace the post, it's only a couple bucks.

#7 11 years ago

Thanks for the quick replies.

Alright, this is where I reveal (embarrasingly) just how much of a noob that I am.

I did at first remove the nut from underneath the payfield. The post spun in place when I tried to turn it yet it was gripping the playfield pretty tightly so I was afraid to try and forcibly pull the whole post out.

I should be able to just pull the whole post out though, right? Its a machine thread on the bottom and not a wood screw.

If that is the case then, yeah, I will just go ahead and replace the whole post instead.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Take a razor blade, and score the rubber sleeve til it cuts off
Remove the screw using vice grips. They can grip the flange on the head of the screw.
If all else fails, take the lock nut off the bottom of the post, and tap it out of the playfield with a small hammer, then replace the post, it's only a couple bucks.

Thanks John,

Yep, I went ahead and pulled the sleeve off and over the post and tried the vice grips earlier but no dice.

Taking the lock nut off and tapping it out of the playfield from underneath makes sense. Will probably just go that route and replace the whole thing rather than mess around with the stripped screw.

Thanks everyone for the quick advice!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-way-to-remove-a-stripped-screw-from-a-metal-post and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.