Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Mitch
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20161027_121213 (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

Any ideas on the best way to protect Stern playfields. As clear coating seems extreme and a lot of work. What's the best way to protect it from wear. I have a beautiful 2003 LOTR and want to keep it that way. I am considering buying more stern titles but have read about issues on playfields. It looks like Stern is the only newer manufacturer having these issues. I have read about wear and other issues on the Sterns playfields. My other games are older B/W or Sega and the playfield quality seems better. I would rather keep it nice then try to repair it or live with the wear. If just keeping it clean-waxed-and new balls in it...I already do that. Any info. will help.

#2 7 years ago

Keep it waxed!

#3 7 years ago

Dont play?

#4 7 years ago

The best way to keep it nice is to not play it. I think you're worrying way too much about this. Just keep it clean and waxed and play and enjoy the damn thing. Its not going to hurt it at all and even if it does who cares? There's nothing you can do about it so stop worrying about it. It's a pinball machine not a museum piece.

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

The best way to keep it nice is to not play it. I think you're worrying way too much about this. Just keep it clean and waxed and play and enjoy the damn thing. Its not going to hurt it at all and even if it does who cares? There's nothing you can do about it so stop worrying about it. It's a pinball machine not a museum piece.

That's ok...Until you go to sell it! Then people go over them with a microscope.

#6 7 years ago

I've owned my LOTR for 12 years and it's been played quite a bit. Play field still looks great. As others have said, clean and waxed is all you need. Not playing it makes 0 sense. Pinball machines need to be played!

#7 7 years ago

Not playing wasn't an option. Just trying to keep it nice.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from mtbpinball:

That's ok...Until you go to sell it! Then people go over them with a microscope.

Well I dont buy my machines to sell, I buy them to play them and to enjoy them. Dont get me wrong, I want my machines to look pristine forever, but you are worrying about something that you cannot control. Your machine is going to get worn if you play it enough eventually, nothing you can do about that. How many plays do you have on it right now?

#9 7 years ago

Makrolon playfield protector will prevent dimpling or any wear to the playfield. Machine still needs to be cleaned regularly.

#10 7 years ago

Change the balls regularly, that is ALWAYS the key

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from tpoeckh:

Makrolon playfield protector will prevent dimpling or any wear to the playfield. Machine still needs to be cleaned regularly.

Get the playfield protector. Problem solved.

#12 7 years ago

I agree get the playfield protector. I had one installed on my Ghostbusters premium day 1 before a single play and with now close to 900 plays there is not a single dimple on my playfield, that being said yes keep it clean it will develop ball trails and it will cloud up over time/plays I spend about 5 min cleaning it with novus 2 and a soft cloth at around 800 plays or so and it looks new again! As far as play goes I've had many other Ghostbusters owners tell me there is little to no difference in play. " I have the new and improved 0.5mm thick protector I cant speak for the older style. I believe a lot of people won't want to spend the 3 to 4 hours tearing down a brand new machine so it's easier to just discredit the product rather than admit that they are actually a great product to protect your machine. I can also tell you if I was looking at buying a used machine and someone told me they had a playfield protector installed day 1 vs. Someone that had not personally I would lean more towards the one with the protector "It's Pease of mind".

I wish i could go back on time and install them on my cirqus voltaire, medevil maddness and attack from mars. I was quoted at close to 2k for a playfield swap "labor only" for cirqus voltaire. I have a new playfield I bought for 1,200 not too long ago, And I have have a playfield protector waiting to go on as soon as I get it done. So for around $100 Bucks to save thousands in the furure....yeah It's a no brainer for me.

20161027_121213 (resized).jpg20161027_121213 (resized).jpg

#13 7 years ago

Depends -- do you want to play it or just look at it. If you play it, it will get dimples, but they will flatten out after enough plays. Otherwise, clean and wax regularly, and use premium balls. Check the balls each time you clean and if they look scratched or have any other physical marks, replace them (or replace them once or twice a year, depending on how frequently you play).

Just think that if you place 3 games a day on average, you are putting about 1100 a year. I know that even for my most frequently played games in my collection, they don't see that kind of play.

#14 7 years ago

Oh, and put cliffies and mylar on the high impact spots: scoops (shire and golem's cave), ball drops, and shooter lane.

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from lyonsden:

Oh, and put cliffies and mylar on the high impact spots: scoops (shire and golem's cave), ball drops, and shooter lane.

I recommend a full set of Cliffys for LOTR including the shooter lane protectors. Then just keep clean and change balls regularly. Keep an eye on the ring ramp.

#16 7 years ago

I have a first run metallica premium all I do is wipe it down once in awhile. No wax, no protector no cliffys still looks mint.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-way-to-protect-stern-playfields?hl=cdonnerusmc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.