2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by markmon
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

mc-526_1z_(resized).jpg
    images_(5)_(resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

I know can't be the only pinball collector that has nightmares about opening up my clubhouse and pinball collection for events (charity fundraisers, car shows, birthday parties, corporate events, etc.) only to have a non-pinball person dump a drink on the glass and have it drain down into the cabinet.

That would be bad enough, and you can bet that if it's not seen by my staff, it would go unreported -- only to make matters worse when it was finally discovered.

So here is what I have done:

- Attached a PinGulp to the right side of every machine.
    - Added 0.5" tall black text on white background P-Touch labels to each machine's lockbars which read:
    "FREE PLAY - PRESS START. Please Do Not Set Drinks on Glass. Use Drink Holder on Right -> -> "
    - Added 1" tall labels "DRINK HOLDER" labels to the fronts of the Pingulps. (don't laugh, the black plastic pin gulps are somewhat hard to see nestled between the machines which are all ~9" apart from one another in your typical banks.

Then I have staff members that work the events, which among other responsibilities, monitor the machines for the dreaded drink (bottle, cup, etc.) set on the glass -- the accident waiting to happen. They've been instructed to walk up, remove the drink and hit the culprit with a cattle prod (though they usually just ask them politely). The larger the event crowd, the more staffers I have work it.

This is a problem that has plagued pinball machines since the beginning, so what measures and precautions do you take to protect your machines while trying to share and promote the hobby with others?

Has anyone developed a new state-of-the-art replacement lockbar with forward-facing optical sensors that would set-off a siren if a the sensors detect an obstruction, such as a bottle or cup was placed in front of it?

Has anyone developed a light-up drink holder that maybe draws more attention that a solid monotone plastic PinGulp?

Has anyone developed an automatic cattle-prod that pops out of the coin door area and teaches the offender a lesson?

Let's hear what works for you. Thanks in advance.

#2 2 years ago
    Quoted from bstyles:

Has anyone developed an automatic cattle-prod that pops out of the coin door area and teaches the offender a lesson?

Yes, but it just encourages Beelzeboob to turn with his butt against the coin door and pour drinks over his shoulder.

Your choices are to not allow food and beverages, have the people playing monitored or putting a convenient drink holder in place and trying to let people know it is there is what most have done.

#3 2 years ago

Unfortunately it would be impossible to host an event without food or beverages...

Maybe I could get custom printed plastic cups that have the "Club 66" logo and the following inscription:

"If you set this cup is found atop a pinball machine, a billy club will soon be found atop your head."

#4 2 years ago

None of my friends ever set a drink down unless its empty.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

None of my friends ever set a drink down unless its empty.

I'm not worried about my friends or other pinball collectors.

#6 2 years ago

Just caulk all the edges of the glass and lockdown bar. Problem solved!

#7 2 years ago

You could just continually walk around talking aboot how you will electrically shock, or bash them over the head if they do it. Probably work.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

You could just continually walk around talking aboot how you will electrically shock, or bash them over the head if they do it. Probably work.

Smack on the neck with thin part fishing pole

#9 2 years ago

Only serve drinks in cups with lids and straws also.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Only serve drinks in cups with lids and straws also.

I'm not sure that a beer cup or wine glass with a straw would fly..

#11 2 years ago

Sippy Cups.

In all seriousness, I worry about that as well. I only invite people over that I know and usually communicate my concerns. I've there is people I don't know well(friend of a friend) I just don't allow drinks downstairs.

images_(5)_(resized).jpg

mc-526_1z_(resized).jpg

#12 2 years ago

Pingulps seem to have mostly solved this issue.

There's a beer seal on the lockdown bar for a reason...

#13 2 years ago

Replace the apron card;

Do not sit drinks on game

Keep it simple, don't try to be funny

#14 2 years ago

Do they have to sign some kind of waiver to play? I would charge people double (or X amount over and above the normal fee) and then refund it after the event assuming they did not spill a drink on it. Similar to renting a condo and putting down a cleaning/security deposit. If they scoff tell them what the machines cost to replace
    Would be neat if someone came up with a fluid sensor to install under the lockbar, similar to HVAC when you have a leak in the attic.

#15 2 years ago

Jello-shots

faz

#16 2 years ago

The beer guard gasket does work well if it is in good shape. I have had some drinks get tipped over, it is a bit of a mess on the pin, but it normally does not get onto anything that is that hard to clean up.

I have just had to stop worrying about messes and just accept that if I want to have guests enjoy anything I own it will get dirty. Having small children in my home also helps me stop caring about messes.

#17 2 years ago

Obnoxious signs everywhere....."do not set food or drinks on pinball machines" put them everywhere...

#18 2 years ago

Make sure you put Please or people will do it to spite you. Just check the machines before you go home so it won't soak in all night.

#19 2 years ago

No food or drinks on my games period.............problem solved.

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I'm not sure that a beer cup or wine glass with a straw would fly..

For those drinks I would have some cup that can be sealed. It's not that odd if you have some large arcade. No way I would allow open wine glasses near the games.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 149.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 28.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 319.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 12.99
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bent Mods
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 49.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 29.95
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Siegecraft Electronics
    $ 156.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 229.99

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside