Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by MaxIsDead
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

I’m hoping to purchase a pin from a member on the market here on pinside. Seller wants me to arrange, what company should I count on to make this happen? By the way I’m in Washington state and game is in St. Louis
    And best way to pay

#2 1 year ago

Fly to St. Louis. Check out the game in person and bring cash. Rent a UHaul to drive back. Or scrap the whole thing and buy local.

I’m sure some will have good advice, but most just have horror stories about shipping games.

#3 1 year ago

I would honestly buy something local. All pinball is the same. I’ve owned well over 100 and have never shipped a single one in or out in 18 years and I’m having a blast.

#4 1 year ago

Thanks all
    Jack bot super clean might make a 35 hour trip
    One way, guess there’s an addiction

#5 1 year ago

Not worth it. That game is not worth that drive. No game is.

#6 1 year ago

There's plenty of games on the west coast. You don't need to do a 35hr drive to get one.

Is this the main title on your wish list, or is it simply in your price range?

#7 1 year ago

Be patient and buy a game locally (unless it's new from a distributor). See it in person and pay cash. That's the best way to protect yourself.

#8 1 year ago

Best way? Cash.

#9 1 year ago

There isn't a "Best way" it's preference. If you like the game & know what you're doing & what questions to ask seller you should be fine w/ setting up shipping w/ STI & setting up a bank wire transfer. If not be patient & wait for one to pop up local.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

There isn't a "Best way" it's preference.

There is a DEFINITELY a "best way" to NOT get taken advantage of when looking for your first machine in this hobby. If you have never done it before, doing it in person (at least the very first time) helps to mitigate these risks and teaches you a ton.

If you want a nice Jackbot, just hold tight until you see one over that way that you can drive to and play before you buy it. If you didn't own one for the last 20 years, it can certainly wait a couple more weeks/months until one surfaces. What are you really missing out on? Machines are literally everywhere these days, Facebook, Pinside, local Shows, Barcades, tournaments, leagues, ect. Besides, most pinball enthusiasts these days only have machines in their homes because they suffer from social anxiety and fear going out in public. LOL.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

There is a DEFINITELY a "best way" to NOT get taken advantage of when looking for your first machine in this hobby. If you have never done it before, doing it in person (at least the very first time) helps to mitigate these risks and teaches you a ton.
    If you want a nice Jackbot, just hold tight until you see one over that way that you can drive to and play before you buy it. If you didn't own one for the last 20 years, it can certainly wait a couple more weeks/months until one surfaces. What are you really missing out on? Machines are literally everywhere these days, Facebook, Pinside, local Shows, Barcades, tournaments, leagues, ect. Besides, most pinball enthusiasts these days only have machines in their homes because they suffer from social anxiety and fear going out in public. LOL.

This wasn't positioned as a first time experience; I have sold three games using STL & receiving wire transfer with zero issues. I have also bought at least 8 pins that have been delivered based off description/images.

#12 1 year ago

I did sell one game long distance that was to a guy I knew we had bought and sold games before and he arranged shipping.

I bought one pin long distance from another guy and he arranged shipping as well. It was a lot more stressful buying and having to wire money to a relative stranger.

Mostly I buy new or buy locks with cash.

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

This wasn't positioned as a first time experience; I have sold three games using STL & receiving wire transfer with zero issues. I have also bought at least 8 pins that have been delivered based off description/images.

That's great! I've had zero issues too and am super happy as well. Thanks for asking.

The nature of the post asking such questions lead me to believe the OP had never done a long distance transaction. The specific question about how to pay is moot. What are you going to send, Crypto, PayPal, cash in an envelope, ESCROW, write a check?... the only logical way these days is bank wire. The point I was getting at is that the payment type is not really the question to be asking when you consider these things. As long as it's a well established Pinside member and not someone that joined in the last couple months, you should be ok.

Having said that, if anyone is hellbent on buying a long distance machine... if you just keep your expectations low, at least you can never be disappointed!

#14 1 year ago

All the posts about buying local for cash are spot on. That said, if you really want to have a game shipped, ask yourself a few questions:

Is the seller someone well known and respected on Pinside or known to you in some other way?

If not and the game never arrives, how will you handle this? Can you get your money back? Are you sure?

If the game is in worse condition than you anticipated (pictures can hide a multitude of sins!), what will you do?

If the game is damaged in shipment, can you make the repairs or is there someone local who will do it? Who will pay for this? Insurance?

Shipping from an unknown seller can lead to all sorts of problems, or it can go very smoothly if everything works out. Might be worth it if the game is a must have. Might not be if not.

1 week later
    #15 1 year ago

The only safe way to purchase a game that isn’t local is PayPal and use your credit card. Bank wire transfers are the biggest form of online scam there is and it’s impossible to recover your money. Kiss it goodbye and hope you didn’t just get ripped off. That said, sellers are skeptical of PayPal because the same thing that protects the buyer, could possibly, result in the seller missing out on payment. The unsolvable problem.

#16 1 year ago

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-way-to-pay-?hl=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.