Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Richthofen
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D80288D2-4994-4E03-A2A4-10B369EA21FE (resized).jpeg
    DEBBC55B-E17C-451D-9456-E8630EE7D8BC (resized).jpeg
    8FB34157-C795-48AA-BEC1-5C6583214359 (resized).jpeg
    4C7F8C45-9C41-413D-BF48-49711801B1A4 (resized).jpeg
    22D2B096-CBA8-4FFF-BC5B-B095920ADB92 (resized).jpeg
    lot (resized).png
    light (resized).jpg
    relocate (resized).png
    IMG_8937 (resized).JPG
    028752AA-490E-44E7-9927-1AA2219301D7 (resized).jpeg
    basement floorplan (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider isochronic_frost.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from Richthofen:

I've got a 100 year old home with a 800 sqft basement. It's got 82.5 inch ceilings. I'm looking to renovate it to maximize pinball space, but also add a half bath and keep the laundry. Tricky thing is, the space is plauged by low spots due to steam pipes which heat the home. The steam pipes are insulated with asbestos, which ... isn't great. I don't mind steam as the heating system, but the nature of it requires a specific slope and the pipes are damn near halfway to the ground by the time the return pipe meets the boiler.
    I've been toying around with how to get around this. The steam pipes are very old, but the boiler is only 3 years old since we converted from oil to natural gas then. I think my options are as follows, but, I could be wrong.
    1.) re-implement all steam lines, but along the walls. Since the existing insulation material is asbestos, that would be a great time to abate that. not cheap, but not a dealbreaker. I think asbestos abatement by a professional combined with new steam plumbing (only up to where the pipes meet the ceiling) would be around $10,000.
    2.) leave steam lines where they are, and dig out the basement for further height. Then the pipes matter way less. This is probably a shitload of money. Like, 30-50K
    3.) Switch the heating system to hot water. Then the heating and return pipes can be done with flexible PEX piping and be easy to keep out of the way or in walls. I'm unsure the cost, but I am guessing $15,000 -> $20,000? It would require new radiators (I am not doing the wrap-around baseboard heaters, IMHO they're a travesty). I'm unsure if my existing boiler can do hot water. if I need a furnace too I think the cost of this option is $25,000)
    4.) Leave the steam pipes, play jenga with the layout and accept less games. renovate the basement around the pipes and put the half bath in the room with the biggest pipe mess since games won't fit there.
    I'm interested to hear Pinside's take on it. I know a lot of amazing gameroom renovations have been done here, and some have been really involved. As a note, I am really not a DIY guy so I'd be paying for all this work. (Which I don't mind, better use of my time to do software engineering than learn steam plumbing). I guess I'm looking to understand what's possible, and what's common, and what someone in my situation would do.
    Red lines in the drawing are steam pipes, lowest point is the 'workbench' area. other dotted lines are the carrying beams running up/down in the picture.
    Thanks!
    [quoted image]

As an HVAC guy there is no heat better than steam. It is the most comfortable, enjoyable heating option. It keeps the air humid enough unlike all other types of hit. Hot water baseboard is the 2nd best but the problem is that you have to change all the radiators out, steam radiators aren’t made anymore and work differently. As someone else said radiant is great too but in an older house it’s usually a nightmare to install.

Personally the height will always be the biggest issue so I’d recommend digging out the basement. Get some friends or find a reputable guy. Talk to local supply houses. We used to have this old guy who dug out basements for the rich up in Lake George (very against the law and never pulled permits). That madman would dig them out and haul everything out with 5gal buckets so the town would never know. Then once it’s dug out the rich people could put in all sorts of fancy systems in the basement (most of the old old summer lake houses only had crawl-spaces under the house)

Dig the basement out, leave the steam and enjoy a reasonably tall ceiling instead of an awful short one that barely fits a pin.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from Richthofen:

Yeah you absolutely have to underpin it. And most of the digging is manually done. watched lots of YouTube videos, definitely not a small project

Your local HVAC/plumbing supply house definitely knows who does that kind of work and you can probably find a guy who will do it for far less than those crazy expensive big outfits.

Most outfits make 150%+ profits. Mini splits for example only cost about 3-4K but if they don’t all it they charge about 13k. The install is one of the fastest of any HVAC equipment too. AND mini splits are so idiot proof they will actually TELL YOU if they’ve been improperly installed and the software will lock out the unit.

You probably don’t need to underpin the house, even back then they were digging foundations out well below the frostline. Don’t underestimate old houses in the northeast. It’s a practical matter that they required deep supports otherwise the frost would have screwed up your house long ago.

Of course someone qualified should definitely look to see if you’re the anomaly but typically only houses in the south have issues like that.

Ignore the asbestos nonsense. It is perfectly fine and safe if you leave it alone. There are currently MILLIONS of buildings with asbestos insulation. Most large stadiums and schools have more asbestos than you can to think about.
    It’s mostly just fear because asbestos abatement is BIG MONEY and so so so many companies do it completely wrong and end up contaminating your house. Unless you’re going to be cutting it anytime soon, don’t worry too much. It’s very stable and still does a great job. It’s sorta like lead paint, don’t eat the paint chips and don’t go sanding it down and it won’t hurt anyone.

Source: 7 years experience in the trade.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider isochronic_frost.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-way-to-make-use-my-basement-with-steam-pipes?tu=isochronic_frost and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.