(Topic ID: 233699)

Best way to join two wires?

By solarvalue

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

220px-Western_Union_splice (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    #1 5 years ago

What's the best way to join two wires together? Twist, solder or a combination of the two? And if you twist, what method gives the neatest result?

Thanks

#2 5 years ago

Forever? Twist properly, solder (don't use acid core, use rosin core), cover with heat shrink. It will be fine long after we are both dead...

Image from reddit:
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#3 5 years ago

Google Western Union splice or Lineman's splice for how to do the make-up on this. mbwalker is 100% correct... Non bulky and quite strong.

#4 5 years ago

-Mike

#5 5 years ago

Don't forget to put your heat shrink tubing on before you solder the wires Also, make sure to have it far enough away from the joint that is doesn't shrink to the wire while soldering.

#6 5 years ago

The video is humorous and shows the basic idea. I prefer to make my twist more like the one in mbealker’s pic so it is nice and neat and smooth. Maybe even twisting it slightly less, just enough to tie the wires neatly together. Once they are soldered they aren’t going anywhere.

And for gods sake go to Harbor Freight and spend $10 or so for a heat gun for the heat shrink step.

This was the “officially approved” method we were taught in my first real job as an electronic tech years back.

#7 5 years ago

been known to use these doing one or two splices... i am not going to call it neat tho. It is a lot better then the typical shit you find in games... twisted wires masking tape etc..

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #8 5 years ago

Weller makes a cordless soldering tool that also has a torch attachment. Use this all the time in my work and works quite well. It is butane powered.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Don't forget to put your heat shrink tubing on before you solder the wires...

I've NEVER done THAT...(except what seems like every single time)

To expand on my original post to the OP, the twist provides the mechanical connection, while the solder provides the electrical connection. Follow that rule, and you'll be good.

A quick comment on the acid vs. rosin core so it doesn't go unnoticed. Acid core (for plumbing) is a big no-no. It can attack the wires over the years. The aggressive acid flux is to help join the copper plumbing where the metal might not be the cleanest. Rosin flux also helps the solder flow, but is safe for electronics.

Also, a lot of the solder you get nowadays (like at Wallymart) is not lead based. It works OK, but the melting point is higher than lead based solder. Noticeably trickier to work with than lead based solder. Lead based (i.e. 60/40) really flows well and is easier to use. Plenty of good choices at Amazon.

If you're a newbie at soldering, grab some junk wire and practice, practice, practice!! A cold solder joint (bad) will have a dull, almost crystallized appearance, where as a good solder joint will be shiny and smooth. To clean any residual flux off, IPA (alcohol) does a halfway decent job. A slightly wet sponge does an excellent job of keeping a soldering iron's tip nice and clean, much easier on the tip than the copper mesh stuff. The mesh can eventually peel away any coating on the tip.

Whew! All that above just to solder two wires together!

#10 5 years ago

Western union for the win.

220px-Western_Union_splice (resized).jpg220px-Western_Union_splice (resized).jpg
    #11 5 years ago

Thanks everyone, great advice here!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-way-to-join-two-wires and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.