(Topic ID: 52510)

best way to get pins appraised for homeowners insurance?

By MK6PIN

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

My Homeowners Insurance Company (Farm Bureau) said I need to schedule all items above $1500.00 in value. Anyone out there been through this, and how do I get a real appraisal? thanks.....mark

#2 10 years ago

Get quotes from retail vendors for replacement. Work with a known vendor here. I'm sure they can estimate a replacement cost for each game. Nib recent pins are much easier to quote.

#3 10 years ago

mine are TZ, TAF, and SM....priceless to me, but of course, the insurance company won't see it that way......

#4 10 years ago

Make up a list from ebay buy it now auctions that way they are insured for twice there value. Lol

#5 10 years ago

It would be nice if you could get them to use E-bay prices.

#6 10 years ago

Whatever you do, don't use the Pinside estimated values. They are generally way under the market.

#7 10 years ago

exactly....guessing they will want something in writing....being they haven't obviously made TZ and TAF for some time, not sure who is going to "appraise"them....

#8 10 years ago

I just added an additional $75, 000 for personal property with my insurance company. But not sure how to go about just getting 3 machines appraised. Keep us updated on this because I'm sure your not the only one wanting to know.

#9 10 years ago

yeah, they won't let me add additional coverage without a "schedule" for all items over $1500.00..obviously worth more than that...hope nothing ever happens, but I can see a breakin individual just destroying the machines, being they are not easily moved....

#11 10 years ago

man, way cool lisk, just less than I paid for any of them.....thanks though, might be a good reference to start..

#12 10 years ago

There does seem to be a need for such a service. I don't know how they could do it without seeing the pins in person, however. At least, that is how it works with art. I have a fairly large collection of antique prints that had to be appraised, and I paid a dealer to drive some distance to our house to do the job.

One problem is that the collection can change in value rather quickly, as we all know, so you'd have to get an updated appraisal from time to time.

Sounds like a good sideline for Don at pinballsonthemove.com since he drives around the country anyway. Are you listening, Don??? Anyone else?

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

yeah, they won't let me add additional coverage without a "schedule" for all items over $1500.00..obviously worth more than that...hope nothing ever happens, but I can see a breakin individual just destroying the machines, being they are not easily moved....

Path of least resistance
    http://user.xmission.com/~daina/pinlist_info.html

#14 10 years ago

I told my insurance company (American family) that I had $200,000 in pinballs here and they didnt want anything. I offered pictures, home visit, etc. He just said he would make a note on my account and not to worry. If it ever comes down to it, I can get affidavit from friends that have been here attesting to what I have.

#15 10 years ago

Tons of pictures, serial numbers. Just be able to prove what you had.

I don't know markmon I do not think you have a dollar over 199,999.99 in pinball machines I can not justify calling it 200K =D jk obv

#16 10 years ago

I told my insurance company about my games, and they said it was covered under homeowners. I take videos of my machines including the serial numbers, and play a horrible 1 handed game to prove operation. Not easy filming and playing, but it gets the job done.

I upload them to youtube for "backup." I used to make them public until I got some wise ass remarks about how shitty my videos were, now I just keep them private.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

I told my insurance company about my games, and they said it was covered under homeowners. I take videos of my machines including the serial numbers, and play a horrible 1 handed game to prove operation. Not easy filming and playing, but it gets the job done.

+1. They told me to take photos, but not to worry as they are covered under homeowners. I just upped my coverage to ensure there were no issues with my other collectables.

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from Craig:

There does seem to be a need for such a service. I don't know how they could do it without seeing the pins in person, however. At least, that is how it works with art. I have a fairly large collection of antique prints that had to be appraised, and I paid a dealer to drive some distance to our house to do the job.
    One problem is that the collection can change in value rather quickly, as we all know, so you'd have to get an updated appraisal from time to time.
    Sounds like a good sideline for Don at pinballsonthemove.com since he drives around the country anyway. Are you listening, Don??? Anyone else?

I talked to Don about this a few weeks ago under the subject of insuring a pin he was shipping. The issue is that if a pin is classified as "collectible" you can even get insurance for scrapes and dings, but many insurance companies (at least state farm) want an appraisal for it. My assumption is that you need somebody with a brick and morter store, or at lease a web presence to do the appraisal, and that person needs to be fairly aware of how condition and other factors can influence value. You don't want your HEP Twighlight Zone being appraised at $4000.

Apparently these guys do appraisals but I don't know how they do as far as accuracy.
    http://www.pinballpriceguide.com/appraisals/

#19 10 years ago

Interesting site... I will contact them and give it a go... my agent said they needed a written appraisal to go with the schedule, so just trying to get him what he wants.Has anyone ever filed a damage or theft claim on a HUO? Curious to see if the system actually works well enough to deal with it...

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

Interesting site... I will contact them and give it a go... my agent said they needed a written appraisal to go with the schedule, so just trying to get him what he wants.Has anyone ever filed a damage or theft claim on a HUO? Curious to see if the system actually works well enough to deal with it...

Let us know. My concern with any apraiser and a HUO or something thats got a lot of expensive mods (things like color DMDs, chrome, etc), is that the appraiser won't take those things into consideration.

#21 10 years ago

Will do...

2 weeks later
    #22 10 years ago

My insurance company too said that it was covered under homeowners. I think i does come under their policy.
    water damage fort lauderdale

#23 10 years ago

No matter what you think they are worth the ins. co. Will not give you the true value of that machine. Its called depreciation and they will tell you what it is worth and was worth.

#24 10 years ago

Yes it WILL come under your homeowners policy but if you want it insured as a collector's item you need special insurance for that. This is the type of thing that will (at least according to my insurance company) provide coverage for dings and scrapes and things like that. This is the same type of insurance you'd get for a rare baseball, or a collectable gun, or even artwork. Also, you wouldn't have to worry as much about depreciation as long as your insurance is for the replacement value. This is part of the reason why the company wants an appraisal. If you do some work to set your games off from your other belongings as far as insurance is concerned there is less chance that you'll end up fighting with an agent over things like depriciation.

That being said, yeah, insurance companies usually try to low ball you or find some bullshit reason not to pay you. I do hate them so.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-way-to-get-pins-appraised-for-homeowners-insurance and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.