6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by desiArnez
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider openpinballproj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

So I'm trying to get physical measurements to replicate the bottom portion of a Steve Ritchie style pinball table. Since I'm initially planning on doing it in Future Pinball, then moving to the physical world, I think I have a couple of options.

1. Take another Future Pinball table and figure out the location of each of the posts, slingshots, etc and calculate physical locations from that. There is a Spider-Man ultra version 1.09 that seemed like it might be suitable on pinsimdb (http://www.pinsimdb.org/pinball/table-2341-spider-man_ultra).
2. I have a high resolution (600 dpi) scan of a Monster Bash playfield. I could use that image to calculate the locations of things, but that is a Gomez design. Is it any different than the design that Steve Ritchie typically uses?
3. I have a couple other playfields that are not Ritchie designs, and use those as a basis. (I have a Camelot and a Shaq Attaq which I could easily scan at 600 dpi). Both of these playfields are far from Ritchie designs, so I think this option stinks.
4. Find somebody who knows the measurements from a certain point on the playfield and simply lists them. (Wow, that would be amazing and I would be forever indebted to that person). Hey, it might happen.

What are people's opinions on the best way to go here? Eventually I'm going to turn it into a wide body so it is going to be heavily modified, but I want to start with a good base.

I'm also wondering what the major angles for shots using this flipper arrangement. This makes me think I should use the Monster Bash playfield scan because I can simply measure all the angles for shots since I have the whole playfield and I just have to draw some lines. I've only played Monster Bash a couple of times, but it seemed to be one of the more flowy games even though it is Gomez, not Ritchie.

#5 6 years ago

Looks like I'll just take the measurements off MB since I have the scan available. Large scans like that can move things a couple millimeters this way or that, but it should be pretty darn close. BorgDog After that, I will try to do a comparison with what is up on pinball makers site. I guess that I should have looked there first, but my quick text search of the site a couple weeks back didn't yield anything. I didn't look in the files section so thanks for pointing that out to me. Since I'm eventually hoping to change this stuff down into GCodes, I'm going to need either relative or absolute positions of every hole in the playfield so I have to do the work anyway.

On the Steve Ritchie thing, it has been reported to me that it is basically a stamped out design, no changes between pins. (That probably doesn't go all the way back to High Speed, but who knows?) Again it has been reported that he said if it works so well, why would he change it. Thanks for the input!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 75.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 72.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Rhinelander, WI
$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.95
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pinson, AL
£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider openpinballproj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-way-to-get-measurements-to-design-hbfp-table?tu=openpinballproj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.