(Topic ID: 147645)

Best way to get clear coat out of star rollovers?

By alb0711

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by PopBumperPete
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

080596004538_ca_(resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

I am in the process of restoring and rebuilding the playfield for my Captain Fantastic machine. I had the playfield refinished by HSA. I've found that clear coat has found its way into several of my star rollovers preventing me from reinserting the white plastic stars into the insert.

I've managed to partially clean up one of them with an exacto knife, but it is slow and tedious work and puts the playfield at risk of being scratched.

I've also thought about replacing the inserts, but worry that removing them will also damage my newly refinished playfield.

In retrospect, I should have simply removed the inserts before sending the playfield off for refinishing.

Wondering if anybody else has had to deal with this and if there is a better way to do this cleanup?

TIA

Allen

#2 3 years ago

Dental pics and a small file I bought at Home Depot are what I used. Still tedious.
    Not sure if replacing them now is a good option. You will probably crack the clearcoat if you remove them now.
    Here is a link.
    http://www.classicplayfields.com/vote.html

#3 3 years ago

Not a real simple way to do it. Many use the Exacto or a folded piece of fine sandpaper. I have a neat little file that is the same shape as the fins that I use. What I have found is that the rollover stars don't fit down far enough into them likely due to clear build up on the shoulder that they contact when depressed. Recommend using an old rollover star with the nub cut off to test fit them... Also highly recommend not trying to remove a new one after inserting...they go in easy, but difficult to get back out and a good chance you will damage the insert. I have found it necessary to use a Dremel and carve the underside of the rollover stars to allow them to drop down farther. You want to be sure they move freely and especially that they can be depressed down even with the playfield... If they don't go down far enough you will get air balls....High Speed was a real challenge to get them in right.

#4 3 years ago

First, you've got to figure out if the Star can go deep enough into the insert.

Stick an insert in upsidedown, and see if the bottoms of the fins are flush with the playfield.

If the fins are proud of the playfield, start by Dremeling the center portion of the insert - to clean off any clear. The moment you see colored dust, you know you have gone through the clear - don't go too far.

Once that clear is removed and the Star is flush with the playfield surface, you will be surprised how many "hangups" are now instantly fixed.

-

If you ever are clearing your own playfield, you can avoid the whole Star Rollover problem before it starts:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/19#post-1762011

#5 3 years ago

A steady hand and a dremel with a diamond tipped bit is what I use.

#6 3 years ago

What I did for my Strikes and Spares, after testing the inserts to see if they'd fit, was to raise the playfield and use thin folded strips of sandpaper(I just cut them with scissors). I'd stick it through, grab it with both hands (one on the top side and one on the bottom side), and use a quick filing motion. I just stood on the side of the playfield and reached around it. It worked perfectly and quickly.
    I tried files and picks and blades, but this worked best.
    I used 14 stars to do 10 correctly. Sometimes you can't tell for sure if they're right until you've actually installed them.

#7 3 years ago

You guys taking dremel tools anywhere near a cleared playfield have some serious balls. I use a small folded sheet of sandpaper for the points and roll the paper into a tube for the center guide.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from catboxer:

You guys taking dremel tools anywhere near a cleared playfield have some serious balls.

You don't have a choice.

If there is a ton of clear slopped into the center shoulder of the insert, the Star won't be able to depress even with the playfield.

Once this problem is fixed, the rest of the hangups often instantly disappear.

080596004538_ca_(resized).jpg

#9 3 years ago

I found a set of small exacto files at my local ace. I also picked up the smallest dremel cutter I could find. Now I just need a very steady hand!

Thanks fellow pinheads!

Allen

#10 3 years ago

If you have a Harbor Freight near you, they sell a lot of diamond rotary bit sets...

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=rotary+diamond

#11 3 years ago

a nail file

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 156.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 109.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 495.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 45.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    LightAndTimeArt
    $ 94.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 224.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    ULEKstore
    $ 7,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 114.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    The MOD Couple
    £ 80.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 29.99
    $ 14.99
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 55.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    £ 29.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside