Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by michaelrobrien
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

plastic.jpg

#1 6 years ago

I have a long strip of plastic from my Lights, Camera, Action that is seriously warped. All I can think of is that it popped off one of the clips holding it, became wedged below and then heated up in the sun. Regardless, it is seriously warped. I've attached a picture.

I think the obvious way would be to h eat it up and then put something on it to hold it flat, but I don't want to break it in the process and thought that there must be someone on here who has done it before and could give me some advice.

Thanks!

plastic.jpg

#2 6 years ago

I flattened plastics 2 different ways:

1. Put them on a wax paper lined cookie sheet in the oven at about 170-180° until they are pliable (5 minutes or so) and then put between 2 heavy books until they cool.

2. Use a heat gun on low (be very careful) and then flatten between books or a couple pieces of wood.

The plastic you showed should flatten out on its own to some degree when you heat it up....

#3 6 years ago

+1 to the oven method. I think I used to heat the oven up to about 100 degrees celsuis.

A few tips - use wax paper as suggested on a baking tray.
* Watch the plastic like a hawk, as soon as it flattens out, take it out of the oven.
* If your oven is fan forced, place it as far from the fan as possible. The air forced onto the plastic from the fan can create uneven heating to the plastic i.e. one part looks as though nothing is happening whilst the other side closest to the fan can be toasted.
* You can place the plastic under some weight once it is out of the oven but I find in most cases you won't have to as long as you lay the plastic on a flat surface to cool.

#4 6 years ago

I used a blowdryer. Heat it up until you see if flatten down a bit. Then immediately throw some heavy books on it.

#5 6 years ago

I have tried the two pieces of glass method set outside in the hot sun, that works great too.

Just used couple old pieces of playfield glass.

#6 6 years ago

Thanks, guys. Those were some of my first thoughts, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to destroy anything. The glass outside might work if I wasn't in the middle of a Maine winter

#7 6 years ago

I've also used a hair dryer and a heat gun. Hair dryer works great takes a while. Heat gun works great but you have to be more careful.

#8 6 years ago

if it were summer, I would use two heavy pieces of glass and "sandwich" the plastic between them, leaving them in the sun to warm and flatten out.

pull them in after the sun goes down. I can't remember which pinsider originally posted this (I take no credit), but I can confirm that you'll never ruin a plastic (melt or otherwise distort it) using this method

#9 6 years ago

^^^ This method works wonders

--Jeff

#10 6 years ago

I have used a heat gun between two smaller pieces of regular plate glass. Just put it in the middle and heat up the piece of glass, turn it over and repeat. Kinda like making a grilled cheese sandwich.

#11 6 years ago

Using a hair dryer works very well. As soon as the plastic flattens, remove the heat and pile a couple heavy books on there for a little while --- good to go!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 269.00
$ 249.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 3.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 10.00
Apparel - Unisex
Lee's Parts
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DBC Pinball
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 19.95
$ 35.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Art Prints
$ 23.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside