• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

jumper.jpg
board_trace.jpg
#1 10 years ago

see pic. board is a whitestar out of a LOTR, FWIW. i have no idea how you can burn a ground trace that badly, except by leaving power shorted to ground for a looong time.

but anyway, any advice on how best to repair such a burnt ground trace? did a quick search and didn't find any matches.

thanks in advance.

board_trace.jpgboard_trace.jpg
#2 10 years ago

Piece of big wire

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from GListOverflow:

Piece of big wire

+1Jumper that bitch! (but find and fix the short first!)

#4 10 years ago

should i just jumper across those nearest pins/component leads? and what gauge wire?

turns out there are also about a half-dozen lifted pads on the board from a previous attempted repair (looks like the flippers had problems so the transistors at all of Q13, Q14, Q15, and Q16 were attempted to be "repaired") . so i'll be investigating the best way to repair those too...

#5 10 years ago

You'll want to jump the two pins that are opened due to the damage. Any gauge wire you have will work for that trace.

#6 10 years ago

The following covers pad and trace repair.

http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/solid-state-repair/board-rework-test/246-pad-and-trace-repair

22 gauge wire for the ground repair. I use PTFE coated wire but anything is fine. You can tack to the existing trace by cutting out the bad section. You don't have to cut every last bit out but you need to epoxy any part that is lifted. Or you can solder from solder joint to solder joint. Either one is acceptable, but I think the prior is a little tidier.

#7 10 years ago

thanks for that link, terryb; i'll be having a look for the lifted pad repair part. i had a quick look at the board and most of them i have an idea how to fix or jumper, but it'll be good to read up first.

#8 10 years ago

burnt trace jumpered. on to lifted pads.

jumper.jpgjumper.jpg
#9 10 years ago

Elfyhead, did you find out what caused that trace to burn in the first place?
If I were you, I put a fuse in place just incase it happens again. I have made repairs like this in other electronics, but it doesn't answer the question what caused the burnout in the first place.
While I would use the same gauge in wire you did, remember, that wire will take a lot more heating (and passing damage onto the electronics) before it would burn in two like the original trace did.
WalMart will have a fuse holder and fuse in their auto stereo section. $3 bucks in a fuse could save you from replacing a lot more electronics down the road.

#10 10 years ago

From looking at this... It's a connector to a Bridge Rectifier and Fuse holder. So either the fuse was way over rated and something down stream was shorted or the bridge should be replaced. $4

#11 10 years ago

i think it was the fuse holder(s). the owner had pushed the fuses so far down into the holders that the wings were touching on 3 of them. i've bent them back and have the proper amperage fuses in there now. if the bridge rectifier is blown i have a replacement for that. as you say, it may have shorted something down the line as well - i'm going to turn it on after fixing the lifted pads (two of the five transistors fixed so far) and see what happens.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 7.50
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 39.50
10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 12.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 25.00
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-way-to-fix-burnt-ground-trace and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.