(Topic ID: 282316)

Best way to double up a connector?

By newmantjn

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_5939 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3950 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3948 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3947 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3946 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3945 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3944 (resized).jpg
    100_5927 (resized).jpg
    100_5925 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3943 (resized).JPG
    #1 3 years ago

I'm getting ready to replace this IDC connector with a trifucon connector. I noticed that most of these wires would need to double up in the new connector. What is the best way to do this? Just cut the wire strip it back and the twist the two pieces back together and stick it in the new connector?

IMG_3943 (resized).JPGIMG_3943 (resized).JPG
    #2 3 years ago

I'd make a "Y". Two wires soldered to one wire and the single wire into the trifucon pin.

LTG : )

#3 3 years ago

That is the way I have done it. You can also use the second crimp (meant to crimp the insulation) for bare wires if needed. If that bothers you a piece of shrink tube can be put over the end.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I'd make a "Y". Two wires soldered to one wire and the single wire into the trifucon pin.
    LTG : )

This is probably the only way to do it. The .100" pin is just barely big enough to hold one wire firmly.

#6 3 years ago

No, the splice shown in your picture is done with bare wire, not good for pinball machines!

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from sixpakmopar:

That is the way I have done it. You can also use the second crimp (meant to crimp the insulation) for bare wires if needed. If that bothers you a piece of shrink tube can be put over the end.

This entire connector housing is done the same way. Never have had an issue in 7-8 years doing it this way. As I said you could also use the second crimp with more bare wire. Just get the 18-20 AWG crimps rather than the smaller size (24 AWG)

100_5925 (resized).jpg100_5925 (resized).jpg100_5927 (resized).jpg100_5927 (resized).jpg
    #8 3 years ago
    Quoted from sixpakmopar:

This entire connector housing is done the same way. Never have had an issue in 7-8 years doing it this way. As I said you could also use the second crimp with more bare wire. Just get the 18-20 AWG crimps rather than the smaller size (24 AWG)[quoted image][quoted image]

The pins are .100" that are in question are much smaller than the .156" pins you are referring to. This is for an old solid state Bally lamp board.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

The pins are .100" that are in question are much smaller than the .156" pins you are referring to. This is for an old solid state Bally lamp board.

I do not see where the .100 came from nor that it is for a Bally. The OP never stated anything other than Trifurcon which I was unaware of being available in the .100 size.

#10 3 years ago

LTG has your answer. Solder a splice w/ pigtail and pin the tail.

#11 3 years ago

Trifurcons are not available in .100. He likely means the input to the aux lamp driver board which IIRC is .156.

Either the Y method (you must heat shrink the connection if you do this.... no electrical tape, for the most part electrical tape is a temporary solution.) or since it's .156 double up especially if the wires involved are a thinner gauge, you just strip the insulation longer and put both in the both parts of the crimp.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from sixpakmopar:

I do not see where the .100 came from nor that it is for a Bally. The OP never stated anything other than Trifurcon which I was unaware of being available in the .100 size.

You can see a partial picture of the lamp board in post #1, at least that is what I am seeing.

You are right, need more info. This actually might not be for a lamp board connector.

#13 3 years ago

@newmantjn, what game and which connector is this?

#14 3 years ago

These are 0.156 connectors for the Aux Lamp Board on Eight Ball Deluxe. I replaced the header pins last night.

I tried to double one up, but it was such a PITA, that I ended up splicing into the line as shown below. I liked that I could check the connection with a DMM from the connector to the splice and make sure it was good.

IMG_3944 (resized).jpgIMG_3944 (resized).jpgIMG_3945 (resized).jpgIMG_3945 (resized).jpgIMG_3946 (resized).jpgIMG_3946 (resized).jpgIMG_3947 (resized).jpgIMG_3947 (resized).jpgIMG_3948 (resized).jpgIMG_3948 (resized).jpg

IMG_3950 (resized).jpgIMG_3950 (resized).jpg

#15 3 years ago

Nice. Definitely good to have heat shrink on hand.

#16 3 years ago

I agree it is a PITA. Maybe the type of crimper makes a difference. The one I use only does one tab at a time but I can insert the crimp and have it hold in place and then insert the wire(s) on a bit of an angle to do the first crimp, then do the insulation crimp.

100_5939 (resized).jpg100_5939 (resized).jpg
    #17 3 years ago

I put one wire on the regular crimp and the second on what's the insulation crimp. Never had a problem so far.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

I put one wire on the regular crimp and the second on what's the insulation crimp. Never had a problem so far.

I'll probably go that way next time.

#19 3 years ago

That is exactly my crimper. The PITA part was trying to get both wires into the wire clip, rather than doing one of each.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-way-to-double-up-a-connector and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.