(Topic ID: 10683)

Best way to do a pinball tournement with only 2 machines?

By Whysnow

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by jeffc
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 12 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Looking for some thoughts/suggestions.
    I am planning on hosting a pinball gathering for me and my wife's mostly non-pinball playing friends. My general plan is to run 2 seperate events, 1 trouney for each machine (1 on TAF, 1 on MM). We will likely have 24 people in attendance.
    I was planning on double elimination for each tourney, 4 players play at a single time, and the top 2 scores for that match go on while the bottom 2 scores go to the losers bracket.
    Running seperate tourneys would hopefully ensure that most people will have fun (which is the main goal) and lessens the blow if someone gets knocked out rather quickly on one machine.
    I plan to also keep tally of all scores as the day goes on. I plan on some goofy prizes for overall winner on each machine, high score of the day on each machine, and low score of the day.
    Am I going about this all wrong? Thoughts... Ideas...
    Should I make play easier on each machine? Should I set it for 5 balls or 3 balls? I figure 3 balls means quicker games, but 5 balls means more chances at multiballs and bigger jackpots...

Double-elims with that format could go a LONG time if any decently skilled players are there. For reference, we ran a single-game, double-elim two weeks ago and 40 people took 5.5 hours with four games cranking almost non-stop. Of course, several league/tournament players were there so the game times were longer than what you can expect, however, 24 players on one game...

But if it's all day, you're probably fine. It also means potentially long waits between games, and people might lose interest.

I would not advertise the low score prizes in advance, otherwise you'll get some sneaky sneakerson deliberately tilting out to get the low score.

If you want some free software to run it, this works good:

http://download.cnet.com/ALJ-Tournament-Maker/3000-2121_4-10620463.html

#15 12 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Darkslide - could you elaborate on how this is run? I'm not sure I picked up on the idea fully.

I've done a lot of pin golfs. I ran one tonight, actually.

The typical pin golf is there's a score to get on the game and the player tries to get the score in the FEWEST number of balls they can. Just like golf - you're trying to get the golf ball in the cup with the fewest number of strokes. So balls = strokes.

In many I've seen, the goal is the replay score, but that can be tough, especially for newbies, so you might want to go lower.

You need to set a stroke limit. For only two games, 6 is good. That means if they don't get the score in the first game, they start a second. To make things faster, I let players add their first game score to the second. Example: On Twilight Zone, score 100 Million. The player ends ball 3 with only 85 Million. They start a new game and now they just need 15 more million to get the goal. If they get it on the first ball of their second game, their score is 4 for that hole. You need score sheets to record the carry over score. Likewise, I have players round to nearest significant digit (nearest Million on TZ, but on an EM it might nearest thousand or hundred). That makes score keeping much easier/faster.

When I try to figure out pingolf goals, I play a few games. When I can get the goal in 3 balls, that means a super good player will get it in less, a super n00b will get it in more.

You can toughen up goals in the finals, or else you might get a lot of ties.

I let players play EBs, and the EB doesn't count against their stroke totals. In most tourney formats, EBs are not allowed, so pin golf is a nice break from that.

The advantage of pin golf is that the better players will finish faster. You have much less worry of epic long games. Soon as they hit the goal, they stop playing.

The biggest disadvantage of pingolf is novices just don't get it. You will have to explain many times over how it works and you'll have delays as a result.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-way-to-do-a-pinball-tournement-with-only-2-machines?tu=jonnyo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.