Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by DBP99
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20211212_194853 (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

Hey all,

Bought a new set of Holograffix MM side blades but no holes for the hinge bolt - grrrr. In your all's opinion best way to cut. What I have come up with is:

1) trace hole from other set and use a circle blade (like the circumference circle tool) to cut or

2) Remove bolt, make a small hole and create 4 slits (top, bottom at sides) to relieve pressure in blade from tearing once bolt goes back in

Thoughts?

Thx. DP

#2 2 years ago

why would you want to cut a hole? Are you planning on taking the hinges off? I only remove the hinges when i Powdercoat a game. Then I just put art blades or mirror blades on last.

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from modfather:

why would you want to cut a hole? Are you planning on taking the hinges off? I only remove the hinges when i Powdercoat a game. Then I just put art blades or mirror blades on last.

Just for clarity these are the interior blades. And the bolt cap protrudes. Thx. DP

#4 2 years ago

I am struggling with this too. Got a set of inner blades for Dialed In and they also don't have the bolt hole cut out, and I would rather not remove the bolt. My plan is to just measure the inside wall where the blade will go and figure out where the bolt hole needs to be on the blade, cut it with an exacto knife....probably make the hole a little bigger than it needs to be for some wiggle room.

#5 2 years ago

I’m not familiar with the thickness of the art blades as I’ve never had or used them before. But, I’m wondering if it’s possible to use a punch tool from a grommet kit. They are usually 1/4” or 3/8” I think. The 50 second mark of this video shows what my thinking is.

If it’s not strong enough to totally cut through the art blade, at least it would score and mark the art blade enough to finish it of with an exacto cleanly.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from DBP99:

Just for clarity these are the interior blades. And the bolt cap protrudes. Thx. DP

Can you take off the bolt hole cap and put the blades on?

#7 2 years ago

I would install the blades with the bolt off and then use an exacto knife with a new blade to cut along the edge of the hole.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

I would install the blades with the bolt off and then use an exacto knife with a new blade to cut along the edge of the hole.

That's definitely a way of doing it just nervous about getting a clean circle. Thx.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

This is how I did it. I was a bit bummed that I replaced my armor AFTER putting the art blades on my Iron Man. It came out just fine but I still liked it better without the hole in it.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from DBP99:

That's definitely a way of doing it just nervous about getting a clean circle. Thx.

Hint:
    Remove the screw, install the artblade.
    Use a bottlecap. Drill it, and fix with the head bolt screw. Now you have a fixed circle template.

20211212_194853 (resized).jpg20211212_194853 (resized).jpg
    #11 2 years ago

I had art blades on Iron Maiden. Then did powder coating. I cut a flap with an exact, 3/4 circle, hinged at the top. Put the flap back down after installing the hinges. It's pretty good.

#12 2 years ago

Thanks for the ideas. I am going to try one side with taking bolt out, putting on blade and cutting a hole slightly bigger than bolt (not bolt head) and see what that looks like. Thanks all for the suggestions!! Dave

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-way-to-cut-hole-for-art-blades and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.