(Topic ID: 325085)

Best way to connect and protect two wires to a third wire?

By HappyHarold

1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

43435821-C3C7-4FDB-8924-5377FB608D19 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Can anyone suggest a better way to connect (and then protect) two wires to a third wire? As the photo shows these wires have been twisted, soldered, and covered with electrical tape (which I've removed for the photo).

Would it be neater and more secure to use splice and heat shrink, inline connectors - inserting two wires in one side and one in the other?

If so, since these are 18 gauge wires, what size inline connector do I need? I presume one that fits 18 to 22 will be too small to handle two 18's on the same side. Does this mean I need something like a 14 to 18 (if that even exists) to handle two 18s on the same side and an 18 on the other?

These wires come from the transformer and get plugged into J115 on the power circuit board on my Williams Funhouse.

Thanks,

Harold

IMG_0908 (resized).jpgIMG_0908 (resized).jpg
#2 1 year ago
Quoted from HappyHarold:

Can anyone suggest a better way to connect (and then protect) two wires to a third wire? As the photo shows these wires have been twisted, soldered, and covered with electrical tape (which I've removed for the photo).
Would it be neater and more secure to use splice and heat shrink, inline connectors - inserting two wires in one side and one in the other?
If so, since these are 18 gauge wires, what size inline connector do I need? I presume one that fits 18 to 22 will be too small to handle two 18's on the same side. Does this mean I need something like a 14 to 18 (if that even exists) to handle two 18s on the same side and an 18 on the other?
These wires come from the transformer and get plugged into J115 on the power circuit board on my Williams Funhouse.
Thanks,
Harold
[quoted image]

Is that actually how it came from the factory? Seems unlikely. I'd try to find out what a factory install looks like and match that.

Barring that, what you really have is one wire going to the connector, and a second one tapping off it. Instead of attempting a three-way splice, I'd fix the wire going to the connector so it goes straight there without a break. Then strip a gap in the insulation at an appropriate point back, wrap the second wire around it, then solder it and heat shrink it.

Don't forget to put the heat shrink on the wire before everything gets hooked up, and make sure you use tubing (just) large enough to accommodate the double wire.

Another option are Wago connectors (maybe that's the inline connector you're referring to). Wago makes a variety of options (and of course there are knock-off versions). For stranded wire, I'd go with the lever nuts, which I guess is their bread and butter.

I know you didn't suggest it, but I definitely would not use wire nuts. Even the Wago connectors seem a bit questionable a choice to me, but if I ever saw a wire nut inside a pinball machine, I'd question the sanity of whatever person put it there.

#3 1 year ago

Heat Shrink tubing.

Unsolder the single wire. Slide some heat shrink tubing on it. Solder them back together. Push the two wires together and slide the heat shrink tubing over them. Heat it. Cigarette lighter works great.

LTG : )

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from pete_d:

Is that actually how it came from the factory? Seems unlikely. I'd try to find out what a factory install looks like and match that.

It's a known modification when switching from a faulty IDC connector to a molex connector when you can't crimp all the wires together in the same connector pin.

#5 1 year ago

https://a.co/d/e4zYziY

these are phenomenal quick and easy

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

https://a.co/d/e4zYziY
these are phenomenal quick and easy

I generally try to avoid introducing additional connectors if possible since they add potential points of failure.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I generally try to avoid introducing additional connectors if possible since they add potential points of failure.

I generally don't worry about it because it's fine.

#9 1 year ago

Carefully slide each pin out of the connector one wire at a time and heatshrink. then reinstall

Piece of cake

#10 1 year ago

Thanks to everyone for your helpful comments. I chose to go with what might have been the simplest of the suggestions. I resoldered where necessary and used heat shrink insulators to cover the joints. It wasn’t easy to merge three old wires together at each joint but the outcome seems neat and clean. Thanks again.

43435821-C3C7-4FDB-8924-5377FB608D19 (resized).jpeg43435821-C3C7-4FDB-8924-5377FB608D19 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
$ 22.50
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Martin, CA
8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-way-to-connect-and-protect-two-wires-to-a-third-wire and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.