Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1961383D-9080-4CE3-BFC4-1A2F91AF6B8E (resized).jpeg
post (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

I'm working on a 1979 Flash pinball that's been in a garage for 25+ years. Dust and grim have infiltrated all parts of the game. What do people recommend for polishing up the red plastic concentric fin posts? I've usually just used simple green and a toothbrush. But, that's back breaking standing over the sink brushing all of them. I have a tumbler, but don't know if that would be too rough and I'm assuming all the media would stick in the fins, so that might just be more work. How do others clean all the posts?

post (resized).jpgpost (resized).jpg

#3 1 year ago

For really dirty ones with crap and wax caked on. I put in a container. Fill with 409 and water. Let soak over night, maybe shake it once in awhile.

By the next day a lot is off and the rest rinses off with a tooth brush and water.

LTG : )

#4 1 year ago

Interesting, interesting. What do you put in it? Water? Distilled water? Some kind of cleaning/grime remover?

Quoted from LTG:

For really dirty ones with crap and wax caked on. I put in a container. Fill with 409 and water. Let soak over night, maybe shake it once in awhile.
By the next day a lot is off and the rest rinses off with a tooth brush and water.

Also interesting.

Both are good suggestions.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

That's the way I do it

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from cmndr-brain:

Interesting, interesting. What do you put in it? Water? Distilled water? Some kind of cleaning/grime remover?

Water and a cleaner. I'm sure Vid has some post about using one somewhere.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Water and a cleaner. I'm sure Vid has some post about using one somewhere.

I’ve done this with water and simple green.

Also used a coffeemate creamer bottle, put the posts in, filled up with novus 1, and shook vigorously a few minutes, a few times a day.

#8 1 year ago

Ultrasonic is the best way to clean them. But nothing beats new posts. The finned ones are available.

#9 1 year ago

Ultrasonic cleaner that Auric posted with water and your dollar store degreaser (ie cheap version of simple green). Use the heating feature and fill it with 1 part degreaser and 3 parts water. The longest duration is 5 mins. Rinse it with running water when done. Get a strainer basket for really small parts. (Put the parts in the basket and the basket in the cleaner) you can run many cycles before the solution gets too dirty.

Does a great job with anything that will fit. Don't use it with anything with art on it as it'll take it right off (spinners, plastics, etc.)

Also agree with new posts if you want to put the money into a game, but not all of us want to do that.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

That's what I do also. But I buy a LOT of replacement posts.

#11 1 year ago

throw them in the trash and spend .40 to .50 cents. so much easier and you'll be happy you did.

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

throw them in the trash and spend .40 to .50 cents. so much easier and you'll be happy you did.

There’s the typical pinside reply we see nowadays. Thanks for pulling us back to reality.

#13 1 year ago

I use LTG's method with mean green or a similar degreaser. Anyone throwing away posts, please PM me. I'll pay shipping for them. I only buy new posts if it's broken.

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

There’s the typical pinside reply we see nowadays. Thanks for pulling us back to reality.

you want to spend an hour or 2 cleaning these things when they are faded, cracked, and probably brittle. having shopped well over 150 games i'll tell you its a waste of time for the outcome...... have at it.

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

you want to spend an hour or 2 cleaning these things when they are faded, cracked, and probably brittle. having shopped well over 150 games i'll tell you its a waste of time for the outcome...... have at it.

#17 1 year ago

Well played sir!

#18 1 year ago

Depends on the post condition, they are not usually cracked and faded, and the few that are can be hidden usually.
And .40 cents?! Marco is around .70 for them, and you need around 30 usually, add shipping and that’s like $30. (And you have to wait for them to arrive)
I pop them in the ultrasonic, rinse and brush off. Takes like 20 minutes.

#20 1 year ago

Plus $15 shipping, but you do you.
Plus, the topic was actually about the best way to clean them.

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from DNO:

Takes like 20 minutes.

And costs nothing.

#22 1 year ago

Ultrasonic cleaner works great, last job I did was a Future Spa and all the original posts and lane guides came out really nice.

#23 1 year ago

This is a game that's been sitting in a basement/garage with a stone foundation for the past 25yrs. The game broke and they never got it fixed. Thank god they removed the batteries. Other than the grime and typical old house stone basement residue it's in descent shape. I try to preserve as much of the original game as possible. I'm more of a purist. Don't get me wrong, new parts are great, but brand new posts with old plastics just kind of looks wrong to me (OCD and all). Then it's down the rabbit hole. Now you need new plastics and new targets and new spinners and new new new. Nothing is wrong with the old parts, they're just dirty and grimy and I'm not getting any younger so standing over a sink and using a toothbrush to clean all the posts is getting a little harder to do these days. I like the idea of cleaner in a sealed container. I'm in no hurry. It's a hobby. I really like the ultra sonic idea but, I'd have to figure out where to store it. Thank you all for the suggestions. Great discussion and ideas.

#24 1 year ago

Ultrasonic small cleaner is like the size of a toaster

#25 1 year ago
Quoted from DNO:

Plus $15 shipping, but you do you.
Plus, the topic was actually about the best way to clean them.

you guys kill me, will spend 2-10k on a toy, then bitch about $25 for new parts. but......You do you.

#26 1 year ago

Man.....you guys will argue about anything.

#27 1 year ago
Quoted from timab2000:

Man.....you guys will argue about anything.

Oh Yeah? No we won’t!

#28 1 year ago

For the people that care, why?

Clean and renew old parts.

Buy new parts.

At the end of the day, you do you. I never understood why some people get twisted about how other people do things sometimes. As long as it's not affecting anyone in a negative way, have at it. Sheesh!

#29 1 year ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

you guys kill me, will spend 2-10k on a toy, then bitch about $25 for new parts. but......You do you.

Well there's the price component on one side and just being lazy fuck on the other

Spoilers; pinball folks like to tinker with shit.

#30 1 year ago

put them in a mesh bag with a tie string, throw them in the washing machine.

1 week later
#31 1 year ago

And besides, Flash should have blue posts not red.

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from Travish:

And besides, Flash should have blue posts not red.

I believe they came both ways. Here’s a pic from flyer showing red posts.

1961383D-9080-4CE3-BFC4-1A2F91AF6B8E (resized).jpeg1961383D-9080-4CE3-BFC4-1A2F91AF6B8E (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#33 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffc:

[quoted image]

Yes there are several sites that say they were intended with blue posts and they switched some to red when they were running short of blue. I’ve also seen that more system 4’s went out with blue and more system 6’s went out red. Who really knows? Williams sure didn’t care. Most William flyers show blue. Mine had blue.

#34 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffc:

[quoted image]

Looking at the picture, it shows the drop targets as red with a star sticker. Mine has blue with a hand holding lightning.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-way-to-clean-plastic-playfield-posts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.