(Topic ID: 240697)

Best way to Clean entire EM Cabinet mechanics?

By tscottn

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Atlantis (resized).png
Score Motor 3 (resized).jpg
Clean Screws (resized).png
Mechs Removed (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrm_4.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 5 years ago

I recently acquired a Shangri-La that I need to do this to. I was planning on just firing it up and cleaning all the switches and steppers that are gummed up to verify everything actually works, then I’m gonna break it down and get OCD with every single piece and part. I’ll be following this thread for others’ suggestions.

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=EM_Repair

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from tscottn:

So your saying you just hose the entire thing down? wires, relays and all that is mounted to the board? man if thats the case , I think I would be too scared to do that..

There’s a pretty sweet video on youtube somewhere of someone doing this to a bingo back box.

I think I would drench the bottom board in mean green let it do it’s thing for about 10 mins then rinse it.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from tscottn:

My issue is that there is no easy way to " break it down" unless I want to start desoldering ( which I dont and wont) )0

“I love the smell of solder fumes in the morning
-That guy from Apocalypse Now

1 year later
#38 3 years ago

I was going to do the brake cleaner method on my mech board. I started on the corner where all the wires connect to the female jones plugs and the cleaner basically started washing away the colors on the old style wires, almost like it was bleaching them.

Is there a preferred brake cleaner to use?

This was a while ago but im pretty sure i just used Advance Auto parts brand of cleaner

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

this is good feedback. I thought with the cloth wires, that color wouldn't be affected. What game was this on?

'67 Williams Shangri La, I need to finish my restoration and the last piece is the mech board in the cabinet and Id like to shop the mechs in the backbox. It needs cleaned pretty bad so Im not above drenching it in degreasers and water but if there is a cleaner available like brake cleaners or contact cleaners I'd rather use that kind of product

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shangri-blah-to-shangri-la-

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

Machine - For Sale
Santa Rosa, CA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrm_4.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-way-to-clean-entire-em-cabinet-mechanics?tu=mrm_4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.