Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Astropin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

Ok, I just got the go ahead from the wife for a budget of $5,000-$6,000 to get my first game room started. I currently have a JP and want to get more SS machines from that era. How would you do it? I LOVE Funhouse but that will blow over half my budget.. I also have my eye on Phantom of the Opera and Flinstones. Although, a Whirlwind or Gilligans Island would be cool.. What do I do? Blow my whole budget on (1) $5,000 machine, Spread it out and get (3) or (4) $1,500 machines. I have so many on my list, I just don't know how to be smart about it and get the most bang/enjoyment from the buck. HELP ME!
    DGrabber

#2 11 years ago

Four or Five $1000 to $1500 games if you have the room.

#3 11 years ago

don't buy the first thing you see would be my first tip... I would say a higher dollar machine would be good just for the fact it should be in better condition and less hassle... but that's not always true... I have a couple machines that I paid less than 1600 for and it's just been small fixes... but then I have some over 3k that I've had to do the same things too... it might be best to also budget some repair dollars in there... maybe not think of the whole 5-6k as machine money good luck with whatever you decide to do.

#4 11 years ago

I would stick to no more than 2 machines in pretty good shape.
    You can certainly stretch the budget and find 3-4 machines but you would likely be getting quantity vs quality and, in the end, not very happy.

If you were willing to go with an EM or maybe an early pre-DMD solid state (something not as expensive as FH) you could squeeze 3 games out of it.

My recommendation at your budget would be something like Fish Tales to start ($1500-$2000) and maybe one other sold B-list title like TS, JM, CONGO... maybe even a reasonably priced WH2O to go along side the FT
    Most of the games you've listed would be well within the budget too.

Good luck!

#5 11 years ago

My first thing would be condition of the game, with that said, buy the ones you really like playing...i have three pins behind me right now that i paid 17.5K for and yes i like them, but i was at a buddy's place and played Lethal Weapon 3 that he paid 1200K for and i loved it..i may get one when i finish my basement which i am currently working on...

#6 11 years ago

What about decorating your new game room? Depending upon what kind of space you have, you might want to make it a man cave. If that's the case, you might want to save a little money for stuff besides pins.

#7 11 years ago

Do you know much about maintenance and repair? If not I would say 2 maybe 3.

#8 11 years ago

Interested in reading responses to this one myself. Having sold my may collection years ago, I am now ready to rebuild with a similar budget.

#9 11 years ago

Well I am huge drum collector so that's one issue with space. I am dedicating one room in my finished basement for displaying drums and music gear and having the large main room as a pinball/ lounge area. It's not quite man cave style, it's more like a place where the fellas go to pin and listen to music but its ok sometimes for the wife's come down a pour a drink for themselves.
    I will have room for approx 6-8 pins while still looking good and being comfortable. Since I have so much music memorabilia the walls will have classy drum signage and Neon lights that I collected from working in the business (not posters). In a perfect world with endless cash of course Monster bash, AC/DC, Elvis, and The Rolling Stones would look great but I'm not in that position. I really enjoy playing Phantom of the Oprah, Fish Tales, Flintstones, Tee'd Off, and others in that level and price point.
    #1.. Whats the general consensus on having a theme? Do you feel it should all flow or just play what you like.
    #2.. Is there any particular games I should stay away from due to common repair issues? I play and study games as much a possible, but I'm inexperienced in repairing them. I'm mechanically savvy and very good at restoring drums (painting, sanding, cleaning etc).. I have full intentions of learning that aspect of pinball. I feel its very important to know all the ins and out mechanically and cosmetically. With that in-mind, any machine recommendations for a guy to learn on?
    THANK YOU!

#10 11 years ago

I'm sure I'm stating the obvious here but unless you don't mind shipping costs & buying on faith, you'll be limited by what comes up for sale within driving distance. Make a larger list of machines you might be interested in & keep your eyes peeled. Keep enough cash on hand & be the first to a potential deal. Don't be TOO picky about little things, but don't hesitate to walk away after a long drive either if the machine isn't worth the price.

#1.. Just as an example, I dig the solid state pins & system11's from the 70's & 80's. This makes it easy for me to ignore everything else & keeps me focused on more specific segments of the market. In a sense, my theme is a time period rather than an art/movie/sports/music theme. It just so happens these are pins I also love to play. Win-win for me.
    #2.. I have 3 pins in good/great condition & one that's a little rough. I won't be buying anymore beaters & will hold out for good condition from now on. Even machines in good shape will require maintenance & little things will break. You'll gain experience/confidence as you go. Save yourself the frustration of owning a flogged game until you are advanced enough to tackle such things.

#11 11 years ago

You can usually only buy one machine at a time so try to start with something in the 1k to 2k range and see where it goes. It can take months to land 4 or 5 good pins in that price range.

#12 11 years ago

Someone mentioned Fish Tales. There are two of them around western PA on craigslist, one for $2000 and the other for $1900. Not in perfect shape but not bad or anything. I thought those were fair prices.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from DGrabber:

Phantom of the Oprah

This title has potential!

#14 11 years ago

2-3 90's DMD machines would be what I would do......for sure.

Look at - HSII, Congo, JD, JM, BSD, DM, WCS, JP, FT, DH, DW, W?D, T2.

#15 11 years ago

Condition is everything IMO. Don't buy junk just because you can.
    Themes are only good for those with large enough collections, space and money to worry about that. Besides, you would be missing out on a lot of good games because it is not a _______.
    Buy what you think is fun or is a good enough deal you can sell it when you tire of it, which may be immediately.

#16 11 years ago

Since you have the room, I would get at least one from each era. Get a 90's DMD pin (or two), a late 80's/sys11 SS pin, and an early 80's SS. Also if you can mix up styles, some stop and go and one with flow. This way you get some variety give you time to save up more money for more expensive pins if that is your interest.

No matter how great a pin is, if you only have one, you will eventually get tired of it.

For example:

Fish Tales
    TFTC
    Swords of Fury
    Black Knight

#17 11 years ago

I appreciate all your help everyone.. I am very exited for this to finally happen. I am finishing my drum room this Sunday and then its on the hunt for pins. I am going to take my time and really look at all options. It might take months to find the one for me and I very cool with that. I been reading everyone's posts and keeping an open mind. Any notorious pins known to be a real mechanical nightmare and always breaking down? I would like to keep that mind when on the hunt.
    DGrabber

#18 11 years ago

For $6,000 you could get about 3 B or Cs, depending on deals. Don't bother with theme for machines, you will grow out of that quickly.

I go against the grain here, buy whatever. I have bought so many machines on never playing and not knowing anything about them, and half my collection is made up of machines in this category.

#19 11 years ago

They all breakdown sooner or latter. Becoming a bit of a pinball tech is just part of the territory.

You can always send parts out to be fixed or even have someone come to your home for repairs but it's really not that bad (most of the time) to DIY.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-way-to-build-your-new-game-room and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.