Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

terminator-2-custom-inside-art.jpg
#1 8 years ago

I took advantage a while ago while the euro was down to purchase these sweet blade decals for my T2. I have a few other things to wrap up on another machine, but after that, this is first on my list.

What is the best method of applying these kinds of decals?

Here are some questions I have if any one can chime in:

Do I need to pull the whole playfield out and set it next to the machine to do it right?
OR
Can I do it with the playfield propped up?

Should I use the old windex/squeegee method to get it in place?

What kind of felt do ya'll use on the edges of your playfields to stop the decals from getting scratched when you lift the playfield?

Any other tips are appreciated.

THANKS!

terminator-2-custom-inside-art.jpgterminator-2-custom-inside-art.jpg

#2 8 years ago

I got some for my Tron, when I asked someone this very question was told that I needed to remove the playfield if I wanted them to go on correctly and look good with no wrinkles.
Haven't done it yet though...

#3 8 years ago

I wonder how you go over the backbox pivot bolts as well....

Thanks for the input. I figured removing it was ideal, I just dont wanna do it, HA!

#4 8 years ago

I installed them on my Tron, pulled the playfield out to do it.

I goofed around with trying to get them on without taking it out but I don't see how you could do it and do a good job with the playfield in.

#5 8 years ago

Honestly Id love to be able to stand inside the cab and do it that way...seems like the easiest way to keep them straight on the first time...haha.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

I took advantage a while ago while the euro was down to purchase these sweet blade decals for my T2. I have a few other things to wrap up on another machine, but after that, this is first on my list.
What is the best method of applying these kinds of decals?
Here are some questions I have if any one can chime in:
Do I need to pull the whole playfield out and set it next to the machine to do it right?
OR
Can I do it with the playfield propped up?
Should I use the old windex/squeegee method to get it in place?
What kind of felt do ya'll use on the edges of your playfields to stop the decals from getting scratched when you lift the playfield?
Any other tips are appreciated.
THANKS!
terminator-2-custom-inside-art.jpg

It really depends on how they were made.

Our PinBlades (www.pingraffix.com) do not require and kind of liquid solution. They peel on and off easily so you don't have to worry about getting the right position the first time. Once they are in place they stay put. They also lay flat without having to worry about air bubbles. Nice and smooth due to the mesh backing.

The best way we find on Stern Games is to simply lift out and remove the play field. There is usually enough wire lead to do this.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from joeraptor2003:

It really depends on how they were made.
Our PinBlades (www.pingraffix.com) do not require and kind of liquid solution. They peel on and off easily so you don't have to worry about getting the right position the first time. Once they are in place they stay put. They also lay flat without having to worry about air bubbles. Nice and smooth due to the mesh backing.
The best way we find on Stern Games is to simply lift out and remove the play field. There is usually enough wire lead to do this.

LOL...this is so far from advice I need. Dont mean to be a dick. If you guys made a T2 decal this would apply, but you do not. Thanks though.....

#8 8 years ago

Well I myself have yet to apply blade decals to a CV, but the only way I can imagine doing it is by removing the playfield. Since they are stickers you can't really fumble them inbetween playfield and cabinet.

You can just temporary remove the bolts that attach to the head however, just make sure you lock it in place so it doesn't fall.

#9 8 years ago

Way easier to just pull the playfield. I've installed them on my TAF and ST - in both cases, there was enough slack in the playfield wiring to just sit the playfield vertically beside the machine (using a towel between the playfield and cabinet).

Once you do that, you can easily remove the hinge bolt if needed.

with the playfield removed, it's a snap to install the felt too. I bought some on Amazon for this purpose.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Way easier to just pull the playfield. I've installed them on my TAF and ST - in both cases, there was enough slack in the playfield wiring to just sit the playfield vertically beside the machine (using a towel between the playfield and cabinet).
Once you do that, you can easily remove the hinge bolt if needed.
with the playfield removed, it's a snap to install the felt too. I bought some on Amazon for this purpose.

Can you share a link from amazon?

#11 8 years ago

I have bought both the T2 graphics from pinballPT as well as multiple sets (6) from Joe at PinGraffix. My wife and I had always put them on together. I lift the playfield all the way up , take out the pinblade and slide it in between the playfield and the and the cabinet. PinGraffix's pinblades are much easier to put on , as they are thicker and have a sticky back that can be repositioned quite easily. Just position it on the upper edge of the cabinet, and press it into place. The T2 graphics were a LOT thinner and stickier, and much harder to get it right.

#13 8 years ago

I just installed by myself on my MET without pulling the playfield. I just made sure that it was all lined up before I pressed it firmly in place.

#14 8 years ago

spray windex on your inner sideart and slide it in place then press firmly no need to take the playfeild out

#15 8 years ago

Windex can work fairly easily if 2 of you are installing the decals. Simply spray windex on the decal and hand wipe some inside the cab. Each person grab an end and pull fairly tight and work it between the pf and cab in a sawing motion. Stick working from the back to the front.

All that being said i pull the pf myself but have done it both ways.

#16 8 years ago

Would you have some pictures of these installed? The insides of my T2 sides are kind of rough & these would help. Thanks

#17 8 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Quoted from scampcamp:

Would you have some pictures of these installed? The insides of my T2 sides are kind of rough & these would help. Thanks

Ive only seen one other person with these on pinside...well, ive only seen PICS of one other person. Ill post when i get them done, which will kost likely be in a week or two.

#18 8 years ago

thanks chitownpinball. Are you doing this because the inside walls are too damaged or do the decals make it look better?

#19 8 years ago

The decals are sweet. I think it will really tie the whole playfield to the cabinet. The inside of my cab isnt too bad, but it was either these or mirror blades.

3 months later
#20 8 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Ive only seen one other person with these on pinside...well, ive only seen PICS of one other person. Ill post when i get them done, which will kost likely be in a week or two.

Did you ever get these installed? I like the look of their BSD decals and I was thinking of buying them. Looks like the install may be kind of difficult with these though.

#21 8 years ago

Install is easy especially if you have a hydrolic trolley/lifter. Just pump it up, remove the legs, lower the cab all the way down on the trolley, raise playfiled, stand inside cab (which is on the trolley so you don't fall through the base!), lift playfield up and place at side of cab (with towel) - apron side down. Stick blades in place with some light paper tape over the side rails to get the alignment right, then peel and place. As Pingraffix said, theirs are easy to peel back off if you are slightly off and do again. You can cut around the hinge bolt with a sharp craft knife if you like. Lift the playfield back in, and off you go.

The playfied is heavy on many machine, if you have friend you can do if from either side of the cab to make it easier. Watch out for TZ/STTNG and similar as they tend to lock when fully raised and can make lifting more difficult - only paritally raise. The results look great IMHO - have them on TSPP, RS, IJ, DW

2 months later
#22 8 years ago
Quoted from jkdblaze:

Did you ever get these installed? I like the look of their BSD decals and I was thinking of buying them. Looks like the install may be kind of difficult with these though.

No...they've been sitting. I moved so I have been tied up. Hope to get it done around Christmas time. I need to do it ASAP, theyve sat around too long and they began to get wavy and become un attached from the backing. I have them flattened out right now with some weights.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 21.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Harrisburg, PA
$ 27.95
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-way-to-apply-blade-decals and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.