4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by mandelbloom
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 15 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

SCJohnsonPasteWax_L_(resized).jpg
    412wiAHuTFL_(resized).jpg
    10871_(resized).jpg
    11029_(resized).jpg
    Pavlov2_(resized).jpg
    p21s_(resized).PNG
    e2cf3f9d6dd7fe0b92075e493b176655_(resized).jpg
    IMG_20160208_010247_(resized).jpg
    fcca1cba8e5c0952fcd69008bc7fd5d96c3fa7da_(resized).jpg
    nice_beaver_(resized).jpg
    52fb68d8dfd0103bd2d5f8df79c9c652_(resized).jpg
    bg-wax_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    IMG_20160206_133552_(resized).jpg
    p21s_(resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

Hey guys, I know there are a hundred threads on this ... So maybe I'm lazy but just wanted to get the latest best wax to use .

I have seen Collonite paste wax, something called p21, and of course mothers.

I will say not a fan of mothers because of the residue.

What's the latest ?

#2 4 years ago

I use maguires carnuba wax. Seems to work great on my games

#3 4 years ago

I'm loving the P21S. Goes on smooth, buffs out nice. No residue. Less is more.
    p21s_(resized).jpg
    This is the original 35 year old finish after waxing with P21S:

#4 4 years ago

Hmm that p22 does look nice!

#5 4 years ago

image_(resized).jpeg

#6 4 years ago

Sine it has been established that car waxes are compatible with pinball clearcoated playfields, this is pretty much the same as a car wax discussion. However, as a practical matter, there are now many car waxes that do not ruin plastics. Since a pinball machine has lots of plastic parts, you might as well pick one of these. There are many, with one of the more recent ones being Turtle Wax Ice. It goes on easily, comes off easily and does not stain plastic.

#8 4 years ago

bg-wax_(resized).jpg

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

bg-wax_(resized).jpg

Waxing playfields not beavers!

#10 4 years ago

We don't wax our beavers, in Canada they are sacred.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from Superchicken:

I'm loving the P21S. Goes on smooth, buffs out nice. No residue. Less or more.
    p21s_(resized).jpg
    This is the original 35 year old finish after waxing with P21S:

What pin is that?

#12 4 years ago

P21s is amazing. I rub it in my hands to heat it up then apply by hand. It works so well. Also works great on my collectable car collection.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

We don't wax our beavers, in Canada they are sacred.

Nice beaver!

nice_beaver_(resized).jpg

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from jonesjb:

What pin is that?

Classic Stern, Catacomb.

#15 4 years ago

I was using Mothers and thought it worked well. After reading some I was looking for something with a little more durability. I got a small jar of P21S and now that's all I will put on my machines. After cleaning (a little novus) I put a few layers of P21S and they are ready to go. My friends comment on how fast my games play. It has nothing in it but pure carnuba wax and it shows. Go with P21s

#16 4 years ago

Is the liquid wax ok to use?

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from ilovegames:

Is the liquid wax ok to use?

Usually it's just a lot of silicone; 3 day gloss and no protection.

Paste wax is much better, more actual wax for your money:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide

#18 4 years ago

Any good carnuba.

#19 4 years ago

Can anyone speak to meguiars vs P21s? I use meguiars and I'm not quite satisfied, but I'm not quite not satisfied enough to justify dropping $40 on a single can of P21s...

#20 4 years ago

Don't expect too much from wax alone.

The games you see with mirror finish are polished that shiny, then waxed to protect them.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Can anyone speak to meguiars vs P21s? I use meguiars and I'm not quite satisfied, but I'm not quite not satisfied enough to justify dropping $40 on a single can of P21s...

A little goes a long way. I mean a really long way. If it is visible after applying you're using too much. Game play is super fast after.

#22 4 years ago

A little goes a long way. I mean a really long way.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Yes, what Vid said:
    IMG_20160208_010247_(resized).jpg

#24 4 years ago

remember daniel san

e2cf3f9d6dd7fe0b92075e493b176655_(resized).jpg

#25 4 years ago

Wow this thread really blew up! I think I am going to give the P21s a try...I just don't like all the powdery residue I get from mothers etc...

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from mandelbloom:

Wow this thread really blew up! I think I am going to give the P21s a try...I just don't like all the powdery residue I get from mothers etc...

After the wax dries, just follow up with a quick vacuuming using a Micro Vacuum Attachment Kit.

#27 4 years ago

My comments below apply only to modern clearcoated playfields and everybody would be wise to read vid1900's thread. (In case anyone is so dense that they didn't see it the first few times, here's the link again: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide )

vid1900 brings up a good point about silicon content in liquid waxes. From what I gather, re-clearing a playfield that once had silicon is a bear.

That said, car wax manufacturers have said for a while now that technology has reached the point where there is no difference between paste and liquid. According to wax manufacturers, paste exists primarily for "traditionalists" rather than for any objective durability or appearance reason. Modern waxes are a chemical process and thus the delivery medium (wax or liquid) matters less than the chemicals themselves.

Ease of use and "sense of fulfillment" have become factors that are as important as shine and durability. P21S smells the way it does because they add aromas for the benefit of the user but that do not benefit the shine or protective durability. Adding aromas may sound silly, but only for those who have never smelled P21S while waxing a car. Personally, I value the use of a wax that does not stain plastic - I'm sick of those pockets of white wax residue around star posts.

Here's another article on waxes with pinballs: http://www.flippers.be/playfield_wax.html

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from nosro:

Ease of use and "sense of fulfillment" have become factors that are as important as shine and durability. P21S smells the way it does because they add aromas for the benefit of the user but that do not benefit the shine or protective durability. This may sound silly, but only if you have never smelled P21S while sweating over a gleaming car. Personally, I value the use of a wax that does not stain plastic - I'm sick of those white pockets of wax around star posts.

Huh?
    p21s_(resized).PNG

#29 4 years ago

I stand corrected. P21S still smells awesome, though. Must be a Pavlovian thing.
    Pavlov2_(resized).jpg

P21S seems to be an evolving product operating under the same name. An older formulation used to stain plastics like crazy.

#30 4 years ago

Fundamentally, I am lazy (just ask my wife) and this stuff is easy. I just finished helping a friend prep 30+ games for a league party using Wizards Mist-N-Shine Professional Detailer and P21S and I just couldn't believe how much faster the games played. In fact we had to detune the ball launcher on Mystery Castle after waxing because it was shooting the ball out and over the top of the orbit into the plastics. Never any residue to clean up.

#31 4 years ago

I see you folks are mostly Easterners! I have never seen this product here in Calif. can you tell me who sells it?? any car parts store?? Thanks!

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

I see you folks are mostly Easterners! I have never seen this product here in Calif. can you tell me who sells it?? any car parts store?? Thanks!

There are 2 types P21S Concourse and P21S 100% Carnauba Wax. I have never used 100%. I buy it at Amazon:

amazon.com link »

#33 4 years ago

Thank,you Superchicken!!!

#34 4 years ago

How's p21s stack up against the blitz vid promotes?

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from Kneissl:

How's p21s stack up against the blitz vid promotes?

I haven't used blitz. Being a sailor I've used Collonite in the past. Great for boats and protection from the elements, but leaves stains and is rock hard if it dries before you buff it out.

#36 4 years ago

I just couldn't believe how much faster the games played. In fact we had to detune the ball launcher on Mystery Castle after waxing because it was shooting the ball out and over the top of the orbit into the plastics.

I am having second thoughts of putting this on my Iron Man! LOL

#37 4 years ago

Here's what I now use:

11029_(resized).jpg

10871_(resized).jpg

#38 4 years ago

412wiAHuTFL_(resized).jpg

#39 4 years ago

SCJohnsonPasteWax_L_(resized).jpg

This stuff was used on wood floors that people would walk on with hard-soled shoes.

Car wax? Touch someone's freshly waxed car with a finger and see how that goes.

#40 4 years ago

Got the p21, I like it anlittl does to a long way may last forever haha!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 59.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Protection
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 25.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 429.00
    Playfield - Other
    86Pixels
    $ 149.99
    Lighting - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Bent Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 45.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    LightAndTimeArt
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 9,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 19.00
    $ 170.00
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 26.95
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 17.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 1,099.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Electronics
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 12.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside