Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by russdx
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

XzYDPFG (resized).jpg
    DSCF0201 (resized).JPG
    DSCF0198 (resized).JPG
    DSCF1026 (resized).JPG
    DSCF1024 (resized).JPG
    s-l1600 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180211_105311 (resized).jpg
    IMG_7049 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1866 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1865 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1842 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1841 (resized).JPG

#1 5 years ago

I had a 2000 Jeep Cherokee (was pretty good pin getter) ... Just got a PT Cruiser (wasn't even sure if a pinball would fit until I got home and measured the depth) ... Turns out > With the back seats removed, it is possible to get 2 Pinballs in a PT CRUISER !! (a Williams Aztec and a wood rail cabinet) ... Who would have thought ... Just curious > what do you have and what have you fit in it? Attach a photo if you have one !

P.S. PT Cruisers are available CHEAP ... but keep in mind > they have a Timing BELT and at 100K miles (or after so many years) the belt needs to be replaced ... my local mechanic said it costs about $1500 (because LOTS of labor) ... Fortunately, mine is a 2007 and only had 60K on it so hoping I good for few years.

IMG_1841 (resized).JPGIMG_1841 (resized).JPGIMG_1842 (resized).JPGIMG_1842 (resized).JPGIMG_1865 (resized).JPGIMG_1865 (resized).JPGIMG_1866 (resized).JPGIMG_1866 (resized).JPG

#2 5 years ago

I can fit two in my Honda Fit if I'm really desperate. Not sure anything beats it for general 1-pin hauling due to the MPG.

#3 5 years ago

95% of the time I use my full size 2017 Chevy van. I can get 4 modern pins in that or 6 earlier pins with removable heads (using some creative stacking). I have actually had 7 EM's in it all with heads but I needed to remove the passenger seat to do that.

When just picking up one or two machines I sometimes take my wives Kia Mini Van. That gets around 30 MPG highway and my full size Chevy only gets a little over 20 MPG so it is a little cheaper running her mini van if I don't need the full size van.

#4 5 years ago

I brought them all home in my 2003 Saturn wagon. One at a time. IMG_7049 (resized).JPGIMG_7049 (resized).JPG

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

I can fit two in my Honda Fit if I'm really desperate. Not sure anything beats it for general 1-pin hauling due to the MPG.

GET OUT !! THAT'S AMAZING ! Those FITS are small ...

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

95% of the time I use my full size 2017 Chevy van. I can get 4 modern pins in that or 6 earlier pins with removable heads (using some creative stacking). I have actually had 7 EM's in it all with heads but I needed to remove the passenger seat to do that.

I heard there are good prices on pins in East PA > so you need that big van !!

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceTimeGuy:

GET OUT !! THAT'S AMAZING ! Those FITS are small ...

IMG_20180211_105311 (resized).jpgIMG_20180211_105311 (resized).jpg
    #9 5 years ago

I'll vouch for the Honda Fit. I have personally helped get a ST:TNG out of one (2009 model). I bought a 2015 Fit just for pin hauling, making it my daily driver. Absolutely love it.

#10 5 years ago

I borrow my mom’s 2006 Odyssey for all my pinball hauling. It ain’t glamorous, but

-With the 3rd row lowered, you can fit 2 EMs or 1 Solid state game with the backbox lowered (including the monstrous System 3 cabinets)

-With the middle row seating removed, the van becomes cavernous. I’ve fit 4 EMs in it, or 2 (I could’ve fit 3 if I tried) larger solid state games in it.

Plus it’s comfortable, gets good mpg, I can transport games in the rain, and it’s very modular. When I’m in a hurry, I use the multitude of cup holders to store leg and head bolts.

#11 5 years ago

I have a 2011 Ford Expedition with the seats folded down in the back (all nice and flat by the way)I could fit 3 pins with heads all in the truck. 1 pin lays across behind the passenger and driver seat and the next to slide straight in, plus if you're not hauling pins and Hauling people you can hold up to eight passengers with the rear seats folded up, love my truck

#12 5 years ago

Why go thru all the work of taking heads off & legs, turning them side ways and take a chance of damage , when a new are used enclosed trailers are pretty cheap.

#13 5 years ago

I use a 1990 Bronco, can fit two pins easily. Three if I want to get crafty and remove the front passenger seat. But I think that a full size van is kinda unbeatable. However, that would mean that you regularly need the capacity to move 4 pins around. Not something that most people who aren't operators probably need.

#14 5 years ago

Our 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan is amazing for it. It's almost like it was made for it. With stow and go seating, I can have it completely clear in a minute without having to pull seats out and it can easily haul two pins without having to remove the heads or any other trouble. I could probably even get 3 in there if needed and I got creative. Obviously it's enclosed so the game is covered from the elements too. Pins slides right in and out. I can load and unload by myself if needed which I have done much too often. I never thought I would like driving a mini-van, but I love it for game pickups.

#15 5 years ago

Go big or go home

s-l1600 (resized).jpgs-l1600 (resized).jpg

#16 5 years ago

P.S. PT Cruisers are available CHEAP ... but keep in mind > they have a Timing BELT and at 100K miles (or after so many years) the belt needs to be replaced ... my local mechanic said it costs about $1500 (because LOTS of labor) ... Fortunately, mine is a 2007 and only had 60K on it so hoping I good for few years.

Glad you are happy with your new hauler.

You commented above "(or after so many years)" regarding the timing belt. Not sure how well Dodge timing belts hold up but my understanding is anything over 10 years old is running on borrowed time. Good luck.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

Glad you are happy with your new hauler.
    You commented above "(or after so many years)" regarding the timing belt. Not sure how well Dodge timing belts hold up but my understanding is anything over 10 years old is running on borrowed time. Good luck.

THANKS for the auto mechanical advice ... I will check into that ! I got a really good deal on my PT Cruiser ... but really like it and want to make sure it lasts a while. Will prob drive for couple months and if no major problems arise > get the belt done ... might as well do it now (as compared to driving for a couple years hoping the belt doesn't break) ... so far it has been to Philadelphia/New Jersey shore ... Detroit ... Detroit/Ann Arbor ... camping trip around lower peninsula of Michigan ... have to go back to Ann Arbor to pick up a pin I left at a friends house ... it's getting a work out !

#18 5 years ago

BTW > Home Depot rents vans and pick up truck kind of vehicle ... think it's $20 for first $45 minutes and then $20 for each half hour after that ... ? ... (you don't have to buy anything from Home Depot to rent one) .... not too bad if needed a vehicle once in a while for a pinball run close to home ....

#19 5 years ago

I had a 2000 Jeep Cherokee (was pretty good pin getter) ... Just got a PT Cruiser (wasn't even sure if a pinball would fit until I got home and measured the depth) ... Turns out > With the back seats removed, it is possible to get 2 Pinballs in a PT CRUISER !! (a Williams Aztec and a wood rail cabinet) ... Who would have thought ... Just curious > what do you have and what have you fit in it? Attach a photo if you have one !
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Chrysler minivans are great pinhaulers. The longer model ("Grand", or T&C) can easily fit three EMs taken apart. Stow and go seats are a big plus.
    They ride great too. You see many of them in the parking lot at the shows, so I guess that's a good indication.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Chrysler minivans are great pinhaulers. The longer model ("Grand", or T&C) can easily fit three EMs taken apart. Stow and go seats are a big plus.
    They ride great too. You see many of them in the parking lot at the shows, so I guess that's a good indication.

Just don't get into an accident in one. POOR partial frontal accident results is a good way to die or lose a leg. I know a good friend had one and almost died in an accident. I will never ride in or drive a Dodge or Chrysler mini van!

Take a look at crash test results before you think about driving one of those death traps!

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

Just don't get into an accident in one. POOR partial frontal accident results is a good way to die or lose a leg. I know a good friend had one and almost died in an accident. I will never ride in or drive a Dodge or Chrysler mini van!
    Take a look at crash test results before you think about driving one of those death traps!

Yeah, well I wouldn't want to get into an accident with anything, and certainly not with one of these small SUVs crammed full with pinball machines! The way the ones pictured here are loaded, you would be decapitated by your games if you had to really stop short.

#22 5 years ago

As I mentioned in the other thread, I use my 2015 Durango R/T. It really hauls, even while hauling pins

I can fit one modern game and still have one rear seat passenger. Or, as I have done once, I moved a Phantom of the Opera and a Galaga mini at the same time, didn't have to move the front seat up, and got all the doors and the hatch closed with no problems. I amsolutely love this vehicle.
    DSCF0198 (resized).JPGDSCF0198 (resized).JPGDSCF0201 (resized).JPGDSCF0201 (resized).JPGDSCF1024 (resized).JPGDSCF1024 (resized).JPGDSCF1026 (resized).JPGDSCF1026 (resized).JPG

#23 5 years ago

Amen! I love our Durango. We also have the RT. Super easy to get pins in and out of and still fast enough to get out of the way if needed.

OP - Just a FYI. Timing belts are usually a milage or time type of thing for replacement. Normally 10 years is about the cutoff as well as the 100K miles. Some cars seem to go forever without a problem while others don't. Maybe it's location and climate differences. They are rubber so keep that in mind. Unless the engine is sideways they really aren't that hard to change. Just takes time, but while in their change that water pump as well since it will have to come off. I've changed a couple on my old Miata.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Unless the engine is sideways they really aren't that hard to change. Just takes time, but while in their change that water pump as well since it will have to come off.

I've done my share of timing belts on both front facing, and transverse engines. My best time for one was on an '86 Nissan 200SX. Did it in about 1:45. Had to do a water pump once on an old Plymouth Colt AWD, so I did the belt too. That one kicked my butt for around eleven hours! Yup, front facing engines are far easier to do the timing belt job for sure.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinbum:

Why go thru all the work of taking heads off & legs, turning them side ways and take a chance of damage , when a new are used enclosed trailers are pretty cheap.

Because they're lighter and easier to handle when disassembled, and you likely will need to have them disassembled anyway when you move them into your home. Trailers have their own set of issues too, and you need a reasonably hefty vehicle to pull one safely as well.

#26 5 years ago

+1 for Honda Fit! Fits WPC and widebody games perfect. If there's a larger shooter (Shadow, FT, STTNG, etc.) you'll have to remove it unless you want your seat super forward. Otherwise a top notch car. I love pulling up to a seller's house and they ask where my truck is, then they're amazed when it fits perfect.

XzYDPFG (resized).jpgXzYDPFG (resized).jpg
    #27 5 years ago

I have a 2009 Chevy Traverse and it's an amazing pin hauler. Once you have the pin in there, it has enough room for your dolly and any other equipment. The only pins that are trouble are Gottlieb System 3 games. They're just a little too tall and the head needs to be removed and slid forward a bit to clear the light fixture. For my next vehicle, I'm really thinking about a Subaru Outback. It's got all the cargo room of my traverse but it's lower so less lifting. I also have an aging dog and it's getting harder for him to jump into the back of the Traverse as well.

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from dudah:

+1 for Honda Fit! I love pulling up to a seller's house and they ask where my truck is, then they're amazed when it fits perfect.
    [quoted image]

LOL !! That's AWESOME ... I can only imagine their faces when you get the pin in your Honda Fit !

#29 5 years ago

THANKS for the auto mechanical advice ... I will check into that ! I got a really good deal on my PT Cruiser ... but really like it and want to make sure it lasts a while. Will prob drive for couple months and if no major problems arise > get the belt done ... might as well do it now (as compared to driving for a couple years hoping the belt doesn't break) ... so far it has been to Philadelphia/New Jersey shore ... Detroit ... Detroit/Ann Arbor ... camping trip around lower peninsula of Michigan ... have to go back to Ann Arbor to pick up a pin I left at a friends house ... it's getting a work out !

Your PT Cruiser has what is called a noninterference engine. This means if the belt breaks the worst that will happen is that you will be stranded at the side of the road around midnight. Get yourself a Triple AAA membership with a 100 mile free towing allowance and roll the dice.

An interference engine is the kind that you will lose it all if the belt breaks. Usually, those belts are good for 100,000 miles. That is a number that you do not want to ignore.

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Your PT Cruiser has what is called a noninterference engine. This means if the belt breaks the worst that will happen is that you will be stranded at the side of the road around midnight. Get yourself a Triple AAA membership with a 100 mile free towing allowance and roll the dice.
    An interference engine is the kind that you will lose it all if the belt breaks. Usually, those belts are good for 100,000 miles. That is a number that you do not want to ignore.

AAAAAAH ! So if the belt breaks it won't bend the rods or mess up the valves (or whatever happens that ruins the engine) ? Good to know !! THANK YOU ! Good advice on get the AAA membership (I will check with my auto insurance to see if they offer towing reimbursement) ... but AAA a good idea with an older vehicle !

3 months later
    #31 5 years ago

Moved reply to other vehicle thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-vehicle-for-picking-up-pins- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.