(Topic ID: 307989)

Best value Stern (Pro) or JJP (Se)?

By UVAJED

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20220116_040420 (resized).jpg
    marketplace (resized).png
    IMG_20211024_003950 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20220115_015555 (resized).jpg
    There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

This is why I'm staying fair away from Borg right now

Lyman made Borg games better.
    Remains to be seen if new folks can strike the right balance like he did. Naegele pretty good.

#52 2 years ago
    Quoted from Vino:

Lyman made Borg games better.

He made them great, but more than that "playable."
    If I'm looking at non Sheets Borg games...
    TMNT, Munsters, GOTG, Aerosmith, Kiss..... Nothing that interests me.

#53 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

He made them great, but more than that "playable."

Wondering if Rush will change it up.
    Same software team was on Zepp and they did a pretty good job. We will see.

#54 2 years ago

best pros? aerosmith, game of thrones, star wars, deadpool, tmnt, mandolorian, guardians of the galaxy. defienetly star trek if you can find one.

#55 2 years ago

Game of Thrones pro is an overlooked gem IMO and last I saw they were in the TWD/ST/SM range of pricing. Can’t go wrong with any of those games, they’re all fun as hell.

#56 2 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

I'm reaching a point where the only pins I'm interested in buying are those NIB stripped-down Pros for $7K. Modern Stern Pro's are still the best value in all of pinball to me at least. Used game prices have appreciated far more than NIB games have in the 17 years I've been in the hobby. I'll take my $7K Godzilla Pro over a $6500 WWF, $7500 Fishtales or $8500 Batman Forever. I'll probably just hold off on buying anything except whatever the latest Keith Elwin Pro is going forward unless the price is too good to pass up. Even the old Bally/Stern Solid Stern games are aren't worth it to me anymore at current prices. I think I just can't get over the pricing on old games vs. new games. I think it's easier for me to pay $7K for something that used to be $4K when I first got into the hobby vs. paying $5K plus for games that were under $1500. Or paying $3k+ for solid state games that were sub $1K.
    [quoted image]

I hear you, but those are crack-smokin' seller prices. There's (hopefully) no one paying that. Still plenty of fair deals between friends, or with a little patience.

#57 2 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Shadow is not a Stern. X-Men I agree with it being a good Stern value but you keep mentioning the term "A list" for no apparent reason. A game can certainly be a good value without conflating terminologies, (as you suggested). There could be some outside edge suggestions here, sure but let's the OP hash out what is and is not a "crap game". Simpsons seems to have doubled in price in the last 3 years... I just can't honestly suggest that to someone looking for a great value, even if the game is solid. (I did not purposely point it out because it's "not a good game" but because the price it sells for seems either "spot on" or "too high".)

When were we limited to Stern? When did I bring up Simpsons? Are you replying to the correct person? Did you eat some edibles thinking they are the same as a bong hit?

#58 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Game of Thrones pro is an overlooked gem IMO and last I saw they were in the TWD/ST/SM range of pricing. Can’t go wrong with any of those games, they’re all fun as hell.

Totally. GOT pro is better than the premium and it's deep, deep, deep. Satisfying shots and good scoring. Love that game.

Quoted from TheLaw:

Kiss if tuned well is suprisingly a fun game. I was shocked at how much fun I had playing it once I got in the groove.

#59 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Kiss if tuned well...

I'm assuming this is the revamped catch phrase of "dialed in" people used to use but no, have it set up correctly has nothing to do with it.
    For me of course, everyone's diff'rent.

Enjoy GOT Pro everyone, SR/Dwight came up with a great scoring system that won't be appreciated for a long time.

#60 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I'm assuming this is the revamped catch phrase of "dialed in" people used to use but no, have it set up correctly has nothing to do with it.
    For me of course, everyone's diff'rent.
    Enjoy GOT Pro everyone, SR/Dwight came up with a great scoring system that won't be appreciated for a long time.

Haven't really heard of setup problems with dialed in... I found that the Gene head on Kiss can be crap as with the Paul bumper zone. If those are working well, I find the game to be pretty fun.

#62 2 years ago

Sorry to bore you. I thought you were legitimately interested

#63 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Sorry to bore you. I thought you were legitimately interested

"Dialed in" means a "well set up game,' not the JJP machine od the same name

Edit: is it just coincidence that Lyman never coded the Kiss/Aerosmith/....or Xmen layout?

#64 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

When were we limited to Stern? When did I bring up Simpsons? Are you replying to the correct person? Did you eat some edibles thinking they are the same as a bong hit?

Look at the title of the thread maybe? Stern pro or JJP se…

I was responding to others talking about tspp, sorry but the thread isn’t all about you. Kinda lost me when you were suggesting how games are crap… that’s not really what we are talking about here.

#65 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Godzilla LE has much more in it than hobbit

Are you sure about that

IMG_20220116_040420 (resized).jpgIMG_20220116_040420 (resized).jpg
    I forgot to mention , 2 subways ,the 27" LCD screen , free internet connectivity with scorbit for life , full length tubular service rails , traditional 1 pull Lockdown bar release , a real knocker and the on off switch in the correct position .
    I'm not saying all of this makes it better game , but it definitely has more in it .

#66 2 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

All that jazz on the underside didn’t save the dog that makes up the upper side on that game.

It's got a lot of jazz above the play field as well .
    It has so many modes , and killing Smaug is one of the best moments in pinball .
    I had mine for 3 years and sold it for $1,000 K more than I paid for it , and I didn't even advertise it .
    I love the movies and hopefully I can get it back one day .

#67 2 years ago

There is a thread about best value using pinside ranking vs. average selling price. It's about a year old but would be a great starting point. I have done something very similar over the years and walking dead pro, Metallica pro, shadow, and lord of the rings would always be at the top. I've owned all four of those and can confirm you can't go wrong with any of them except shadow ( I personally hate that game but haven't played it in forever). I would also agree that dialed in standard is a great value. That would be because I rank it higher than where pinside has it

#68 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

"Dialed in" means a "well set up game,' not the JJP machine od the same name

Lol. I must have been drunk again.

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-value-stern-pro-or-jjp-se/page/2?hl=zaki and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.