Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by snyper2099
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

Curious as to what you think some of the best value pinball machines are of the last 40 years? Feel free to list a top choice or a few choices in a sub category (JJPs, Sterns, System 11s, etc. Let me know the titles and reasons why!

#2 4 years ago

If you’d go 30 years, I’d say there are a couple of B/Ws that are still sub-3 that are fun titles (Indy 500, Jack*Bot)

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from DK:

If you’d go 30 years, I’d say there are a couple of B/Ws that are still sub-3 that are fun titles (Indy 500, Jack*Bot)

But do you think they are they more fun for the money than a $4500 older stern, etc.

#4 4 years ago

Sleeper titles are getting harder to dig up for decent prices. Since the popular A-list games have shot up in price, people have looked toward less expensive titles, and in turn, the prices for those have shot up.

The best game for you is one you like and is at a price you're comfortable with. Everyone has different preferences, interests, and budgets.

#5 4 years ago

The pin you like most.

Your value will always be in the pleasure you get playing it.

LTG : )

#6 4 years ago

If you're looking at 1999 to present and at games that are "value" I'd say this is $3k and under my choices would either be RFM or WPT. Hard to find other games with that amount of depth and features for under $3k.

#7 4 years ago

NBA Fastbreak is an underrated title that can still be found for around $2500. It has an interesting layout and basketball scoring- also saves the high scores for each team. They can be linked together and are great for sports fans. Good bang for your buck

#8 4 years ago

Value is a really tough thing to pin down. Does value mean what you enjoy most for your collection? What others will play when they come over? Is money no object?(JJP to me doesn't strike me as "value" but it's listed in your post).

If I had to pick a value pin for a first time buyer vs someone who had been collecting for years, I think it would look completely different.

Best value personally? Everything I bought 5 years ago.

Game that is "underpriced"now? Getaway seems to come up for reasonable prices still. Or maybe Road Show.

#9 4 years ago

Sorcerer. For about $1400.00, it's just a fun, fast game that kicks my ass. Cool lights/sounds. Sure, Metallica has more going on, but a value, it ain't.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

The best game for you is one you like and is at a price you're comfortable with.

I get that and totally agree - I just want to hear what everyone thinks!

#11 4 years ago

20 years back excludes 80s and 90s, but you mention Sys 11. I'm confused.

Are 80s & 90s included here?

#12 4 years ago

World Cup Soccer. Deep enough for pinheads, fun enough for house guests.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from isJ:

Value is a really tough thing to pin down. Does value mean what you enjoy most for your collection? What others will play when they come over? Is money no object?(JJP to me doesn't strike me as "value" but it's listed in your post).
    If I had to pick a value pin for a first time buyer vs someone who had been collecting for years, I think it would look completely different.
    Best value personally? Everything I bought 5 years ago.
    Game that is "underpriced"now? Getaway seems to come up for reasonable prices still. Or maybe Road Show.

I would consider value to be subjective to the buyer/owner. If they think JJP pirates is 3x better than CGC’s monster bash - I would consider the Pirates the value in that scenario, even though it is more expensive.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

20 years back excludes 80s and 90s, but you mention Sys 11. I'm confused.
    Are 80s & 90s included here?

Good point. I changed it to 40 years so I wasn’t contradicting myself.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

The pin you like most.
    Your value will always be in the pleasure you get playing it.

So which one is that for you LTG?

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Sleeper titles are getting harder to dig up for decent prices. Since the popular A-list games have shot up in price, people have looked toward less expensive titles, and in turn, the prices for those have shot up.
    The best game for you is one you like and is at a price you're comfortable with. Everyone has different preferences, interests, and budgets.

So for your preference, interest, and budget - what is the best value pin in your mind.

#17 4 years ago

I like Space Jam in that under 3K realm. But I will also say that Stern’s X-Men offers a lot of bang for buck for a modern machine.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from Barkz:

So which one is that for you LTG?

The one game which I no longer own part of, is Capcom's Kingpin.

I'm not a great player. I've always enjoyed playing that game.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

The one game which I no longer own part of, is Capcom's Kingpin.
    I'm not a great player. I've always enjoyed playing that game.

I have never played that title - sounds like I need to track one down

#20 4 years ago

Swords of Fury it is.
    Even if it'd skyrocket to 10K value it'd still be worth it!

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from Barkz:

Only 9 prototypes were built.

However, Circus Maximus was working to remake it.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from Barkz:

Good luck w the search!

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from Barkz:

Try for a fully working one. Like the Circus Maximus group that is working on making them. The one they have at shows is good.

Years back, some of the Kingpins that popped up at shows had stuff not working and people complained the software was no where near complete. Which in fact it was more finished than Big Bang Bar.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from Barkz:

But do you think they are they more fun for the money than a $4500 older stern, etc.

Very few older sterns are worth that. In that case, I’d rather play a quick 2 min game on Quicksilver than a 20 min game of Twilight Zone

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

We may never have an accurate number, like original BBB's. Supposed to be 10, I've only accounted for about 8, including one lost in a fire.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from Barkz:

So for your preference, interest, and budget - what is the best value pin in your mind.

I could easily rattle off about 50 games. It really depends on what's available, what sort of bargains pop up, and what I'm interested in on a particular day.

For example, if a WPC project game pops up for under $500, that's probably going to be the best value of the day.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

However, Circus Maximus was working to remake it.

Didn’t know that - anyone want to let me come play their prototype lol

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

We may never have an accurate number, like original BBB's. Supposed to be 10, I've only accounted for about 8, including one lost in a fire.

Well, remember, one kingpin was hidden away for years with a private owner until it surfaced only a few years ago.

[edit]: This one: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kingpin-8

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Well, remember, one kingpin was hidden away for years with a private owner until it surfaced only a few years ago.

I remember. I counted it.

I also know there has never been an accurate number from Capcom. BBB I've hear three different numbers from the lead designer alone.

Might be part of all the shenanigans that went on there. Could be more, could be less.

#30 4 years ago

I would describe myself as a value shopper. Value has take into account price vs function and fun. I even put together a pinball value worksheet - yes, I am a total nerd. Value to me is a balance of:

Price
    Art
    Animation
    Lastability, Depth
    Fun Factor
    Theme
    Sound
    Company

Most Stern Pros have excellent bang for the buck - Premiums don't seem to justify the price. Both API games and CGC games have great value. Love JJP games but I don't think they really appeal to a budget, value shopper.

#31 4 years ago

More specificity from the OP might draw more constructive/specific responses. And "best" is too limiting. "Some" would work better.

For instance:

"What are some good values in Stern SAM?" (IM, TWD, ACDC)

"What are some good values in Stern SPIKE?" (ST, AS)

"What are some good values in B/W WPC?" (NGG, JM, HSII, BSD, JD, etc.)

"What are some good values in Williams System-11?" (HS, ES, WW)

"What are some good values in Williams SS?" (not sure)

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

What are some good values in Williams SS?" (not sure)

Lots. Blackout, Time Warp, Barracora, many, many others.
    Plus lots of Stern and Bally games from the same era.

It's all subjective though, so play LOTS of games and keep your eyes open for good deals on game you enjoy.

#33 4 years ago

Road Show, Last Action Hero, and WWE certainly come to mind - Lots of bang for the buck

#34 4 years ago

Stern’s in the 4k range are a bargain. Metallica Pro, AC/DC Pro, Aerosmith Pro. That’s an amazing amount of pinball for the price. And the great part is, you can normally turn them around and get back what you paid. The worst you will do is lose a couple hundred on it in a year or two. Buy wisely. Buy HUO Stern Pro games I’m the 4k range.

Elsewhere, the value WPC games are still reasonable. There are enough still under 3k that are awesome. They won’t be as well loved, and the rules won’t be the greatest, but tons of fun to be had.

Between 1k and 2k there are plenty of old Bally games. For some reason they have stayed priced less than the Stern classics. But Stars from Stern hasn’t shot up, and believe me, that’s an awesome game.

Under 1k you’re bargain hunting. You will find games that are lesser games (KOS, or a nice EM). But there is plenty of fun to be had on an old EM. Get a couple of buddies together, and battle it out on an EM. It doesn’t need to be perfect, just quick and fun. There is something nostalgic about a worn playfield... just get it working well and nobody will care about the looks. And thy are so cheap that you can buy the pizza and beer.

So that’s up and down the line, but the 4k range Stern’s are the best value in my opinion.

#35 4 years ago

Probably the pin with the most units of ‘fun’ divided by the cost. How are fun units currently measured?

Some in the pinball community speak of ‘fun’ as though it’s a completely inelastic good. I’m confused.

But to answer your question, probably Bally/Williams DMD pins in the $2,500 - $4,000 range. Good balance of toys and code vs the cost, and good value against the opportunity cost of what’s currently new on the market.

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

More specificity from the OP might draw more constructive/specific responses. And "best" is too limiting. "Some" would work better.
    For instance:
    "What are some good values in Stern SAM?" (IM, TWD, ACDC)
    "What are some good values in Stern SPIKE?" (ST, AS)
    "What are some good values in B/W WPC?" (NGG, JM, HSII, BSD, JD, etc.)
    "What are some good values in Williams System-11?" (HS, ES, WW)
    "What are some good values in Williams SS?" (not sure)

Took this advice and tweaked the thread.

#37 4 years ago

Any pin you can buy for 500 or less and fix yourself with minimal investment.

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from jahbarron:

World Cup Soccer. Deep enough for pinheads, fun enough for house guests.

Agree early 90 titles like the one mentioned fish tales, white Water. Also fairly Easy to maintain.

#39 4 years ago

Johnny Mnemonic is my personal favorite But it’s been slowly climbing up in value behind the once value pins of Shadow and Congo.

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from Waxx:

Johnny Mnemonic is my personal favorite But it’s been slowly climbing up in value behind the once value pins of Shadow and Congo.

This. This is probably the correct answer. Ripley is also a contender.

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from Waxx:

I’d say Jackbot and Johnny. But I think you’re probably right. I’ve owned a Johnny for 6 years. It’s such a fast furious game with some heady choices to be made as you drop balls in the grid.

I have to make to make room in the coming months and Johnny is probably going to draw the short straw in my collection. Sucks, because I’m pretty sure I’m going to miss it!

#42 4 years ago

Bang for buck? Cant beat space mission/space odyssey.
    Wish id kept mine.

#43 4 years ago

I love Jackbot, and it's a great game, but it's pretty easy and horrifically shallow...even more shallow than Pinbot, really. Spot on about JM though.... I wish I could've kept the one I had longer. I still play the one I know is on location locally.

#44 4 years ago

Every time I see a Roadshow for sale I'm always kind of shocked at how low the price is. The amount of stuff on the playfield is comparable to a Jersey Jack game.

#45 4 years ago

Flintstones - @ $3k
    Elvis - @ $4k (or less)
    Judge Dredd - @ $3k

Love them all! Though I’d put Flintstones at the top, Dredd next then Elvis

Edit... oh, I would add Johnny too!

#46 4 years ago

Let me also throw Attack From Mars as good bang for your buck. Hope to add that to my stable.

#47 4 years ago

Hobbit seems to be a good value right now.

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Stern’s in the 4k range are a bargain. Metallica Pro, AC/DC Pro, Aerosmith Pro. That’s an amazing amount of pinball for the price. And the great part is, you can normally turn them around and get back what you paid. The worst you will do is lose a couple hundred on it in a year or two.

+1. You can find a lot of good Stern games for $4500 or less. They may not look the prettiest but most have a good set of rules and good gameplay.

For WPC games, Shadow, Fish Tales, and BSD are great games with challenging gameplay that won't get old fast. Prices are still relatively cheap but going up.

#49 4 years ago

I don't know what it is but I think pretty much all WPC or System 11 systems have a charm yet to be captured. They are the muses in pinball. To answer your question, any of the aforementioned systems not in the top 20 are still fairly affordable.

#50 4 years ago

Depends on your tastes.

That said, I would definitely put Johnny Mnemonic up there as others have listed. Still relatively cheap and a great game (if the game had been called "Cyberpunk" and if the glove mechs had been more reliable it would be an "A" list game today, seriously great title).

Another game would be Stargate. It's the best of the DMD Premiers it has deep rules and great gimmicks and toys. And it's still cheap.

Other value games (at least they used to be) Demolition Man, Baywatch, and Goldeneye. These used to all be "C" games that were ignored until people realized they were full of gimmicks and had tournament level appeal.

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-value-pin?hl=nihonmasa and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.