(Topic ID: 33759)

best use of an empty pin cabinet

By billsfanmd

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Picture 004.jpg
    DSCF7105.JPG
    DSC07083.JPG
    afm1.jpg
    driving.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

Just picked up an empty AFM cabinet. Artwork looks better then I expected...I have done some wall art out of bigfoot cabinets but before I do anything I wanted to see if anyone else has done some creative furniture, artwork, shelving with an empty pin cab for their gameroom.

#2 11 years ago

Virtual Pin Mame Cab?

#4 11 years ago

Baby Crib!

#5 11 years ago

+1 on the virtual pin.

#6 11 years ago

Virtual pin for sure...

#7 11 years ago

Vinyl line it make it a ice chest Beer cooler
    Go cart
    Sub woofer
    Coffin
    Endless possibilities.

#9 11 years ago

Not just a virtual pin but a pinball fx2 cabinet. 37" tv, pc with one decent video card, ipac, is all you need. The hyperpins are neat to have but the physics are pretty weak so they're not a ton if fun to play. Pinball fx2 on the other hand has decent physics and is a blast.

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Not just a virtual pin but a pinball fx2 cabinet. 37" tv, pc with one decent video card, ipac, is all you need. The hyperpins are neat to have but the physics are pretty weak so they're not a ton if fun to play. Pinball fx2 on the other hand has decent physics and is a blast.

Does it support FS mode?

Two or three screens?

Physical nudging?

#11 11 years ago

Sell it to someone that could use a cabinet upgrade.

#12 11 years ago

A planter.

#13 11 years ago

Use it to restore another machine.

#14 11 years ago

Whoa. This might change all my future nursery plans. If/when I ever have one. Now I might have to consider it just to have a 'baby arcade.'

#15 11 years ago

Storage for a working board set and playfield.

#16 11 years ago

If the cabinet is in good shape - I'm sure someone would want it for a restoration project. If its toast, a Visual/Futurepin machine would be a good use and keep it pinball related.

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Totally support this! I played mark's and I was way impressed it wasn't crappy at all, was quite reactive, has ball spin, sweet physics, aims well. Just overall quite impressive.

Do it

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

Totally support this! I played mark's and I was way impressed it wasn't crappy at all, was quite reactive, has ball spin, sweet physics, aims well. Just overall quite impressive.
    Do it

Fx2 was pretty cool,I dislike hyperpin but really liked the fx2.
    Plus there's a bunch of different pins on the same platform.

#19 11 years ago

If a routed broken pos AFM is 'supposedly' worth 4-6k 'all day' then your empty AFM cab should be work 1k easy.

#20 11 years ago

Yeah an AFM cab is a quick $500, I'm sure. Take the money and put it toward a cabinet with something in it

#21 11 years ago

Seconding this idea. Someone get on it.

#22 11 years ago

In the past I have parted out many Gottlieb system 1 games before the advent of replacement boards. I would cut the cabinet making the end result a level top that started at the top at the coin door end. A 3/4" plywood top and an instant work bench. All my neighbors had a pinball cabinet work bench. I still have one I made in the 80's.

In your case I would not do anything to your cabinet. Keep it or sell it -- someone will need it.

#23 11 years ago

I got it from a pingroup friend and really was going to do some sort of bookshelf, dvd shelf, wall art....Its actually alot nicer then most AFM artwork. Really not worth a long drive for but if anyone in MD,PA, NJ wants to trade for it with an arcade game plus Ill add cash....

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from billsfanmd:

I got it from a pingroup friend and really was going to do some sort of bookshelf, dvd shelf, wall art....Its actually alot nicer then most AFM artwork. Really not worth a long drive for but if anyone in MD,PA, NJ wants to trade for it with an arcade game plus Ill add cash....

how nice is the cabinet??? is the artwork nice. i would also imagine a guy with a beat up afm would buy it in a heartbeat if it was nicer than his.

#25 11 years ago

Trade Bait.

#26 11 years ago

driving.jpgdriving.jpg

#28 11 years ago

Thats where I got the go-cart idea. ^^^^^^^^

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Fx2 was pretty cool,I dislike hyperpin but really liked the fx2.
    Plus there's a bunch of different pins on the same platform.

Yeah, the hyperpin seemed even flatter looking and not as sweet. Like Mark mentioned, making it 3d and pop on the 3d glasses, that could be so cool.

It has a tiny bit of flipper reaction lag, but I got used to it by the 2nd or 3rd ball of my 2nd game. I really like how deep the games are because it is all software, so crazy video modes and puzzles can happen.

#30 11 years ago

Buying my first vid so a little cash toward it woul be great.....If someone building a pinmame or improve there's wants to make an offer here is the pic...

afm1.jpgafm1.jpg

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

Yeah, the hyperpin seemed even flatter looking and not as sweet. Like Mark mentioned, making it 3d and pop on the 3d glasses, that could be so cool.
    It has a tiny bit of flipper reaction lag, but I got used to it by the 2nd or 3rd ball of my 2nd game. I really like how deep the games are because it is all software, so crazy video modes and puzzles can happen.

I'm thinking the lag is caused by my ultra cheap tv playfield. If pdxmonkeys plays better ill get a new tv fr it tonight.

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

I'm thinking the lag is caused by my ultra cheap tv playfield. If pdxmonkeys plays better ill get a new tv fr it tonight.

I was going to come out, but was waiting on a package. Anyways, I'm sure I'll be out there soon enough with the LED samples so definitely want to play it again I think I'm going to build one. It's a great break from regular pinballs especially if you want to pinball/video game combo

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

Hyperpin has no flipper lag and 3d will not work. Even tho VP supports 3d. Just for the fact that you have to be looking straight on a 3d TV for the effect to work. Won't work at the 45 degree side angle your looking at in a virtual pin. Hyperpin is awesome. I have 168 in mine so far, and I only keep the stuff worth keeping. I could have 400 games, if I kept and DL'd everything.

1 year later
    #35 9 years ago

To revive an old thread....

This was my idea:

Beer Fridge

DSC07083.JPGDSC07083.JPG

#36 9 years ago

DSCF7105.JPGDSCF7105.JPG

Float it....

#37 9 years ago

Eight Ball FRIDGE!

Picture 004.jpgPicture 004.jpg

#38 9 years ago

Display coffin for the vertically challenged. Sorry, lotsa Crown and Coke went into that answer.

#39 9 years ago

I gettin' ready to light one up right now for the Fourth....another option.

#40 9 years ago

I always loved the Eight Ball Fridge...and what was in it...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-use-of-an-empty-pin-cabinet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.