Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 79 posts
  • 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by pinster68
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Best state for pinball?”

• Michigan 34 votes
      21%
    • Illinois 43 votes
      27%
    • Pennsylvania 30 votes
      19%
    • New York 9 votes
      6%
    • Texas 26 votes
      16%
    • Colorodo 20 votes
      12%

(162 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

JohnDenver.jpg
    There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

The more I get into this hobby the more lucky I feel to be living in Michigan.

What we have to offer: (and I know I'm leaving out a ton of things)
    -Pinball Pete's in Ann Arbor (20+ machines)
    -The Arcade in Brighton (100+ pins)
    -Vintage Flipper World (200+ machines)
    -M-Brew in Ferndale
    -Pyramid Scheme in Grand Rapids
    -Rosie' Ogrady's in Chesterfield
    -One Eyed Betty's
    -Tri-City Pinball
    -MPE
    -PATZ
    -Pinball Refinery
    -Countless home collectors that open their impressive collections to pinsiders

So which state do you think is the best for pinball and why? If I've left it out of the poll tell me why I should add it.

#2 9 years ago

Well I accidentally hit enter while creating the poll and can't figure out how to edit it...

#3 9 years ago

Pinball Pete's in East Lansing too. Not as many pins as in Ann Arbor.

Chicago will always be "The Pinball Capital of the World" until more machines are produced elsewhere. IMO.

You may want to add Nevada to your list sine there is PHOF, the Riviera annex, Flipperspiel Wunderland, albiet closed for relocation for awhile and of course the Big Hit Shed.

#4 9 years ago

Anyone know how/if I can add options to the poll?

#5 9 years ago

Oregon and Washington are really good

#6 9 years ago

This has been asked before. For me...it's Minnesota. Fantastic, and some historic, route locations such as; SS Billiards, Sun Ray Lanes, Mortimer's, Blainbrook Bowl, Pinball on a Stick at the Minnesota State Fair and many more. We have some route ops that actually care and maintain their games. On route over 258 machines in over 103 locations in the area with access to games like the original Big Bang Bar and Bill Paxton pins on route. Home to Bryan Kelly restorer extraordinaire, MN Pinball's Pinball Hall of Fame (Home of the IFPA 7 World Championships), The Pin Ghetto, TJ's Barcade, Eby Island and countless other home collector's with amazing collections and knowledge. I can think of very few games I would not have access to locally if I really wanted to play them for whatever reason. For competition, we have 3 monthly tournaments, at least one league running at any time year round, plus numerous one-off events at a variety of locations. We have some top notch players here too including the current #3 IFPA National Tournament finisher and former National Champion Paul Madison. We are also within driving distance of Expo and the MGC. I feel very lucky to live here. I've been to lots of other locales and I have not seen anything that really compares.

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Pinball Pete's in East Lansing too. Not as many pins as in Ann Arbor.
    Chicago will always be "The Pinball Capital of the World" until more machines are produced elsewhere. IMO.

Are they in any better condition is the question. PP in A2 is a sad state of affairs for pinball if you ask me. I guess the machines still work, so that's something.

#8 9 years ago

With over 600 pins on location in Portland, Oregon has to be one of the best.

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Are they in any better condition is the question. PP in A2 is a sad state of affairs for pinball if you ask me. I guess the machines still work, so that's something.

Worse.

#10 9 years ago

That is very strange, and sad.

#11 9 years ago

Ca. has been pretty good for me. As long as I can remember. And since our climate better preserves pinball machines, I will not be voting in your poll.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I will not be voting in your poll.

quit you're crying

Quoted from tmontana:

So which state do you think is the best for pinball and why? If I've left it out of the poll tell me why I should add it.

#13 9 years ago

obvious bias in this poll.

The lack of WA and OR is a huge miss.

#14 9 years ago

What about California? We have a lot to provide, I bet more than many other states.
    Our bars alone in Oakland / SF probably have more pins than some states.

Many dedicated pinball locations such as Pacific Pinball Museum for example.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

What about California?

Most don't want to know.

#16 9 years ago

tmontana,

Try asking a moderator or Robin if they can add a few states to your poll (CA, MN, & OR).
    I'm fine w/ my vote on the existing poll, but you could also ask for the poll to be reset after states added.

When you edit your first post in a new thread, it allows you to edit the title of the thread and text in 1st post, but currently you can't edit the poll.

Another option is to start a new thread and have this one closed or deleted.

#18 9 years ago

Man it seemed like PA is a hot spot. That's where I bought both of mine from. North and west def trumps us in the south.

#19 9 years ago

I'll vote for my home, Colorado as soon as you spell it right!

Otherwise I am voting for Mihigan

#20 9 years ago

Meatchicken.

#21 9 years ago

eh?
    Oregon, California, Washington

Polls hold 9 items, and you didn't include what I would consider are the top-3 states for pinball.

There's a thread going (somewhere) with all the top states being discussed in it -- can't seem to find it.

Bizarre.
    -mof

#22 9 years ago

Not sure if Cali is the best state, but it's been getting better over the past two years, because o-din has been having some pinball machines shipped in from out-of-state, and he has assembled an awesome collection.

Other:
    If New York wins, I'm filing a protest for a recount and to check for voter fraud.

#23 9 years ago

I don't think you can edit a poll after it's started. I'd close the thread and start again asap...
    =)
    -mof

#24 9 years ago

It's got to be Nevada surely?

Literally hundreds of unique titles all within a few minutes drive either way of the centre of Las Vegas

PHOF, Riviera, Highscore Barcade, Flipperspeil Wunderland, and then try and find a bar, hotel or even diner that doesn't have pinball

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

I don't think you can edit a poll after it's started. I'd close the thread and start again asap...
    =)
    -mof

You can't I did the same thing and had to have a moderator delete it and then I reposted...

#26 9 years ago

CA has Pacific Pinball Museum, California Extreme, PIn a go go, and tons of leagues with some very good players. Not to mention Cliffy, Pinbits, BAA, PPS, Pinball Refinery, and other staples of the hobby that are out this way.

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Not sure if Cali is the best state, but it's been getting better over the past two years, because o-din has been having some pinball machines shipped in from out-of-state, and he has assembled an awesome collection.

Lol. I just like the dry climate that means I can have them in the garage, the house, the patio, or wherever else I like and not having to worry about moisture and cold damage.
    The question was what state's best for pinball, wasn't it?

#28 9 years ago

I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this!

JohnDenver.jpgJohnDenver.jpg

That John Denver is full of $h!t man

#29 9 years ago

Depends on what you are talking about.
    For the history of pinball it is hands down Illinois. Pretty much every major company has been in the Chicago area.
    Williams, Bally, Stern, Gottlieb(Premier), Chicago Coin, Game Plan, Capcom...even Illinois Pinball(Big Bang Bar in Peoria)
    If you are talking games on location(at least in the midwest) it is Michigan and Minnesota.
    If you are looking for shear numbers of pinballs in people's houses it is Chicago without a doubt. There are so many games there that people have them in their basement and they do not even know they are there.
    I do like playing at the Pinball Hall of Fame in Vegas though and PAPA pretty much floors you when you visit so I understand why people pick Pennsylvania and Nevada.

#30 9 years ago

Alvin G. & Co., Genco, Mills, United too.

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Alvin G. & Co., Genco, Mills, United too.

Good call...forgot about those...

#32 9 years ago

What about Stoner?

#33 9 years ago

You're dropping the ball tmontana. Did you bump your head when you got out of bed this morning?

Steering Pinsiders to the new thread with updated list of states for poll choices.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-us-state-for-pinball-improved-poll

#34 9 years ago

CA should be on there, I will not vote in your poll either

#35 9 years ago

Where's Oregon?

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Where's Oregon?

It's north west-ish, but pretty much uninhabitable.....

#37 9 years ago

Nothing left of the Continental Divide on this poll! Cue up the Cali crybabies….hehe Def deserve a vote for crying out loud, remove New York and we are good…..

#39 9 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

CA has Pacific Pinball Museum, California Extreme, PIn a go go, and tons of leagues.

And that's just NorCal!

#40 9 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Nothing left of the Continental Divide on this poll

And that's the way we like it!

#41 9 years ago

Oregon? Loads of places with lots of pins and most pins are in great shape. Lots of local guys who have publicish gatherings at thei places too

#42 9 years ago

got to be California .....because, well, its California

#43 9 years ago

Based on pin related parts sales for GPE -- top three states would be Illinois, Michigan and California. Texas at #4.
    Not saying which has best pins but does say that there appears to be lots of people working on them in those states.
    And rarest state to ship parts to -- Utah. Are there *any* pins in Utah?

#44 9 years ago

Another vote for Oregon!

#45 9 years ago

Oregon

#46 9 years ago

Here's my theory: Pinball is big in states, particularly in areas of states with a high Polish/Eastern European population. Why? People who are hobbyists now grew up when pinball ruled bowling alleys. And who likes to bowl? Polish people. 20 years ago, in the Wayne County suburbs (area immediately to the west and southwest of Detroit), there was a successful bowling alley every few miles in all directions. And they were all loaded with 90's W/B games that have become the classics. I'm not Polish myself, but 90% of my friends were and we all grew up in bowling alleys, bowling ourselves or being dragged their by our parents.

#47 9 years ago

If you haven't been to Blairalley, then I can excuse you for not voting for Oregon. Awesome place, many, many pins lovingly cared for, great staff and lots of beer.

#48 9 years ago

Pinball is popular in the Pacific Northwest because of the hipster appeal. You're a bunch of Johnny Come Latelies. Probably didn't grow up with it. It was a game for the working class 20 years ago. Now, it's a game for the elites. (I'm just trying to have a little fun with the thread by throwing out a bomb.)

#49 9 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

CA has Pacific Pinball Museum, California Extreme, PIn a go go, and tons of leagues.

Agree. I have been so impressed since moving to northern Ca. Five leagues within an hour 1/2 of each other. Great collector community. Lots of tournaments. Plus the shows you mentioned (RIP Pacific Pinball Expo!).

#50 9 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

It was a game for the working class 20 years ago.

It was a game for the smoking class as far back as I can remember. If I could remember...
    So I guess Washington, Colorado and California should get the nod.

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-us-state-for-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.